Daley Exit

I find Laurie a really hard guy to have respect for as a coach. I don't believe he has the tenacity to give the honest feedback his players require. He seems to be too matey with them.

His argument that being loyal to players is far from adequate as a representative coach. Especially when you are rewarding a losing squad with such loyalty.

He also lost me when he said that if he picked on form alone, he would have picked Luke Lewis but he has a lot of youngsters coming through that deserve their chance and will be around for years to come. This thinking is outside the whole realm of representative selection.

If you are the best, then there better be a bloody good reason why you are not picked. Your age, experience, future potential, history in the squad should have little to do with it.

If the Blues team were picked on form, then the game 1 squad would have been a whole lot different. Instead, Laurie and the selectors chose a very conservative, historical team that again lost. The Blues are now left scratching their heads wondering how they are going to win in Brisbane to keep the series alive.

By using form as 90% of your decision making for selection you are picking players who are not only very skilful but most importantly running high on confidence.

Laurie out at the end of this season for mine.

Completely agree!

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got".

NSW might point to Queensland sticking loyal to their players in the absence of form, but those players were proven State of Origin winners over a number of years and had the history to back up that they could perform when needed.

NSW do not have this, and they keep picking the same old team that keeps giving the same old performances. Why do they expect something to change? They need to pick their players on form, irrespective of how old they are or plans for the future, the series is this year, happening now, so unless they are happy to continue losing then they need to change things up.

For me, Daley doesn't come across as having much of an idea of what he's doing, was there actually a game plan in game 1? Was there any plan on how to use Dylan Walker, and if not then why on earth was he picked? His form didn't warrant selection, and there are much better players that can play the utility role if that's what they wanted. Why pick struggling Farah ahead of the table topping Ennis? I just don't understand his selections and fully expect Queensland to hand out another beating next week!

The use of Walker was a ghastly view of Laurie's inability to make key structural decisions to change a game.

He had one hell of a skill in being the person to do it on the field but his ability to influence it from the coaches box is unfortunately terrible.

Very little to do with Daley he's just a puppet for the real problem "Bob Fulton" who has been the constant in NSW origin through there laughable past decade.

I agree with SS13 above. I couldn't see any plan in Game 1. Dylan Walker was a ridiculous selection and to only use him for the last 10 minutes compounded the stupidity. Fulton has to go. We've dropped, I can't even remember, 30? players over the Qld-dominant era because they weren't up to it. Yet we keep the one constant, the man who keeps picking all these players.

So another series is lost. The Blues made a decent fight but just made too many little errors. As far as I am concerned, Daley should go at end of the series as should Fulton.

For next game though, the following need dropping:

Gallen: representative retirement year. Series is lost, no time for loyalty. New selection please.

G Bird: awful display and was brought back on at the end OMG! If you need to resort to dirty tactics like stamping on the opponents hand (twice), then you are not up to the standard. Got to go!

Farrah: another old timer that shouldn't have been selected anyway. Made some good runs, made some bad ones. Peats please.

Jennings: hmmm, costly in defence and turned over in attack to give up a try. J Bird starting thanks.

For me, Frizell and Jack Bird made Daley look stupid. They only got in thanks to injuries yet played better than a number of those automatic picks that Daley likes. It just shows that NSW can do it but they need to pick on form and not confuse loyalty for rewarding failure.

Now that Reynolds is out, I would like to see Chad Townsend get a shot to be fair if they stick with Maloney.

Alternatively, with nothing on the line Moylan at 5/8, Tedesco at FB and Brooks at Half is a great future... albeit a very young spine...

NSW have looked clueless in both games. And when you have players who have often failed and have poor records of disciplinary on and off the field like Gallon, Bird, Ferguson, Farah and average players like Walker, Jennings etc in its not a surprise NSW have lost another series. And as for teamwork it seems NSW are a bunch of cry baby Egos who cant work together. You look at Queensland and players step up to the mark and give that extra 100% (Though how Guerra got in no idea!). They play as a team and dont panic. All know the role they have to play. NSW just do a lot of talking and never get it on. I dont think Daley is the problem but a number of people. The culture from top to bottom at NSW is way off and has been for over a decade.Cant see things changing.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon Daley will get one more season to show he can pick a younger more motivated side and with Fulton now gone supposedly also with Gallen and Farah retiring, He now has a chance to reshape the Blues to actually do more than give the Maroons close games and start winning a series or two. While Gallen as a Blues Captain is a guy you want in the trenches with you, Smith is Officer class in comparison. So it will be very important who Daley chooses as Captain for next year and beyond!

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Archived