Fun? Madness I calls it.

Several mates of mine completed this yesterday.

http://www.cyclosport-ariegeoise.com/ariegeoise-2016/

Click on the graph thingy to see what climbing was involved.

One of them finished 150th out of 5000 starters.  He is off to compete in the Marmotte next weekend.

http://www.sportive.com/events/la-marmotte-2016-sportive/2015-07-04/841/cycling  

Compared to this, the ariegeoise is a doddle.  Three HC's finishing with Alpe d'Huez.

I think he needs his bumps felt.  He is walking somewhat awkwardly today!

Click on the graph thingy to see what climbing was involved.

Now that's a pointy profile.

I've read about the Marmotte sportive before. Challenging doesn't begin to do it justice. I'd guess you'd be burning about 10,000 calories to get through that even if you had the legs to complete it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Not quite as tough as the Fred Whitton - 181kms and 3950 metres of climbing with a max gradient of 30%. You have to avoid the tourists on the narrow passes, and the roads aren't that great after the winter floods

There is a Team 13 that rode this year - I recognise some older/retired RL players names in there

I know a couple of people who've done the Fred Whitton. One of them described it as the hardest thing they'd ever done in their life.

No shortage of people wanting to take it on though. You've got to be in there quick to get an invite.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

One of them described it as the hardest thing they'd ever done in their life.

I know where they're coming from, I managed to persuade you to buy me a beer once.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I know where they're coming from, I managed to persuade you to buy me a beer once.

I know, two Tri-Nations final tickets for a pint of bitter.

I still laugh about it.

And I though Doncaster to York was a challenge (did it yesterday). Had a nice pint of Yorkshire Terrier at the Bay Horsemon St Mary's Gate to celebrate.

Nice one, did you follow the Trans Pennine Trail route?

My mate had to give the marmotte a miss as his lady friend is in Carcassonne Hospital.  

The lad who he was supposed to be cycling with phoned last night to tell him that the weather was rotten.  Apparently coming down the Galibier was harder than going up it!!

Nice one, did you follow the Trans Pennine Trail route?

Went from Campsall to Womersley then onto Polington and Sanith, then up to Selby and through Skipwith and Fullford. Made it all the way to York without incident and nearly got hit by a bus in York centre. Doing Doncaster to Beverley next week.

Went from Campsall to Womersley then onto Polington and Sanith, then up to Selby and through Skipwith and Fullford. Made it all the way to York without incident and nearly got hit by a bus in York centre. Doing Doncaster to Beverley next week.

Have you planned your Doncaster to Beverley route yet?

Going to go up to Selby, along to Howden or Holme on Spalding Moore then there is a route to Beverley from either. Going to avoid the A1079.

You do right. It's a death trap. I don't go anywhere near it on my bike except to cross it at various points. 

Archived