gossip on the street

jamescolin

I know you guys probably wont appreciate a leigh fan/sufferer chipping in on this thread,but things like this annoy the life out  of me.The wise men at the rfl deem it appropriate to look at expanding the game,which is all well and good,but turn their backs in traditional teams such as yourselves,bradford and us. I know its quite easy for me to seem holier than though given d.b's deep pockets,but that hasn't always been the case which is probably where a lot of my disgust for the rfl arises from,charity begins at home,not in Toulouse or toronto

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all tied in with income from bigger television audiences. The wider the viewing options the better it is for Murdoch and co. It is all about business and nothing about sentiment. The attitude these days is what's in it for me and who or what can I use to enhance my returns.

I don't have a problem with Toulouse or Toronto, or anywhere else that wants to play our game.  The more the game is spread, the more appealing it becomes to TV companies and advertisers/sponsors.  The more appealing it becomes, the more money will be attracted to the game.

Like it or not, that is the way of the world and unlikely to change anytime soon.

Meanwhile, clubs should stop looking to the RFL to sort it out for them and work hard to raise their own profiles and sources of revenue. 

In terms of Fev, are we confident we are getting the most out of our asset base? We no longer have a commercial manager, what will that mean for next year's sponsorship income?  We seem to be doing a decent job using our bar and function rooms outside game days, but what about the rest of the land, could this be better used to generate income for the club?  

Catering on matchdays is a bugbear of mine, every week there's some problem, be it running out of hot water, running out of coke, 7up etc, not having enough pies/hotdogs/crisps etc.  That's revenue walking out of the door.  There's no catering at all at the new end of the ground.  How much revenue is being lost there?  Don't see too many people walking to the other end of the stadium for beer, tea etc.  When Bradford visit, that end will be full, we'll be missing out big time if there is still no catering there.

There has been a small facility at the far end of the new stand. I have used it but it could be easily missed unless you are walking that way. There is lots of things that need attention and until we know in detail the actual problems we can do little about it. As I have said many time before if you have assets you should be using them to their utmost advantage.

Rfls expansion has been their prime initiative since 1996

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Archived