Is there a salary cap

toffee

Regards the 2nd team I thought of idea that may work although the big clubs would never go for it. My idea was that each club should have a maximum quota of young players that they can sign from certain age group and this should go up or down depending if that team runs a reserve set up. This would give teams in the lower tier a better chance of signing up some of the better talent around. At the moment it is a disgrace that teams can simply come in and hoover up all the players just in case they 'make it'. We see this year in year out at Siddal and the same has happened this year with all the lads apart from a couple getting sign up and for the ones that dont make it after 3 or 4 years they have nowhere to play because Championship teams cant afford to take a punt on them and they are lost to the game.

Regards the 2nd team I thought of idea that may work although the big clubs would never go for it. My idea was that each club should have a maximum quota of young players that they can sign from certain age group and this should go up or down depending if that team runs a reserve set up. This would give teams in the lower tier a better chance of signing up some of the better talent around. At the moment it is a disgrace that teams can simply come in and hoover up all the players just in case they 'make it'. We see this year in year out at Siddal and the same has happened this year with all the lads apart from a couple getting sign up and for the ones that dont make it after 3 or 4 years they have nowhere to play because Championship teams cant afford to take a punt on them and they are lost to the game.

Did you see your Chairman on RL Backchat last week giving his ideas on DR/Reserves BO?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Personally I find the concept of a reserve team a pointless waste of time and money given the game's current format and structure. The only benefit to it would be keeping reserve players half match-fit.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

Personally I find the concept of a reserve team a pointless waste of time and money given the game's current format and structure. The only benefit to it would be keeping reserve players half match-fit.

I actually hold the same view as it current stands and personally I would rather Fax spent money on first team this season but I also see the bigger picture and in that sense I agree with the decision.

As the game stands, i think you'd find very few people disagreeing HS as 2nd teams are a bit of a joke currently, as there are only about 6 clubs running them. That means there are fewer players in the pro game and less opportunities for players to develop or places where players can regain match fitness following injury. I'll never be a fan of DR, it is definitely not good for the game imo, as it damages the integrity of the league and only serves to increase the strangle hold the big clubs have on the game, because they are dictating, or being allowed to influence results or the fortunes of other clubs. The 2nd team system was poor even during our last foray all those years ago, because the best players were always picked up by the big clubs as they were quite happy to pay way more than the likes of us could ever afford to chance on a player who may or not make it, hence if all players wages counted against the salary cap all clubs would have a chance of signing the best junior talent. As the better talent would be more spread out the better the standard would be overall.

Archived