Interview with Davide Longo, Featherstone General Manager

Some great points about the match day experience.  Although we have a great compliment of bars at our ground it'd be great to have a beer tent of sorts, pre and/or post match in the high season.  Both sets of supporters mingling and exchanging views on the season etc for an hour or so before kick off would be a great thing to see more of.

On a ship, there is a captain who's word is the final say. I wonder if there is a lack of full control by the RFL. Do the SL clubs have too much say, which limits the decision making and planning by the RFL? In any human endeavour, those with a vested interest will always look out for themselves and not the greater good. I see SL clubs doing just that. Their opinion should be sought but the final say has to rest with the RFL. 

The Championship clubs need confidence in the RFL and know roughly what will be happening over the next five years or so. SL clubs could be undermining that. If I'm right in that, then such a situation is not in the game's best interest going forward. SL is the icing on the cake but beneath them are the semi pro teams, the amateurs and all the volunteers that make the sport what it is. Lose sight of the fact that every part of the game has an important role to play at your peril. 

As for the product, variety is important. Make game day fun. Add value to the experience of the day by having fans mingling in a beer tent. Have a few 9's festivals scattered through the season in the warmer months to bring new spectators along who may take to that form of the game, like one day cricket did for that game. Try things.

However, the basic structure must be there, the clubs in their various divisions all playing their part with the traditional game we love. Clear direction for them and one place where the buck stops, the RFL. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 11/07/2017 at 9:44 AM, PoorhousePete said:

Some great points about the match day experience.  Although we have a great compliment of bars at our ground it'd be great to have a beer tent of sorts, pre and/or post match in the high season.  Both sets of supporters mingling and exchanging views on the season etc for an hour or so before kick off would be a great thing to see more of.

Based on Rovers experience this year of playing regularly on a Sunday you are absolutely right Pete.

Every other week Rovers have plus or minus 1000 fans milling about the away towns but very few clubs get real benefit from the bars etc. Bradford last week didn't open the gate til 2pm for christsake!

In SL matches on a Thursday  and Friday evening...The majority...Do not permit this matchday experience hence the attraction of the away trip to Catalans and Magic.

The aim should be to make the game into a real social event before and after the game. Before is a chance to meet and greet and anticipate, after a chance to mingle with the players of both sides and club management.

This makes it a family day and worthy of making longer journeys to see the game.

5 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Based on Rovers experience this year of playing regularly on a Sunday you are absolutely right Pete.

Every other week Rovers have plus or minus 1000 fans milling about the away towns but very few clubs get real benefit from the bars etc. Bradford last week didn't open the gate til 2pm for christsake!

In SL matches on a Thursday  and Friday evening...The majority...Do not permit this matchday experience hence the attraction of the away trip to Catalans and Magic.

The aim should be to make the game into a real social event before and after the game. Before is a chance to meet and greet and anticipate, after a chance to mingle with the players of both sides and club management.

This makes it a family day and worthy of making longer journeys to see the game.

Completely agree. I know I'm not alone in enjoying meeting the extended family that we have as RL supporters and this kind of festival type match day experience would be great for that. Money, as always is bound to be a factor but, hey, if you build it...

Archived