Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Heritage XIII

1936 GB Team

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

Anyone who shops on Etsy, came across this photo of the 1936 GB touring team for sale

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/548336590/english-rugby-league-team-photograph?ref=shop_home_active_57

 

You mean 1936 England team, not "GB" team.  No such team as Great Britain existed before 1948.  I have a JPEG of a program cover from 1937 which clearly says England.

Edited by Big Picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You mean 1936 England team, not "GB" team.  No such team as Great Britain existed before 1948.  I have a JPEG of a program cover from 1937 which clearly says England.

I have a replica of the 1932 and 1950's GB shirts and they both have the emblem of all 4 home nations, so definitely GB.

http://ellisrugby.com/product/gbrl-vintage-rugger/

Some tourists were Welsh too such. Doesnt matter what the Aussies put on a cover - it is wrong. The Aussies have often mistakenly called GB England even in the 80's

Edited by Lobbygobbler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its still wrong though, the team was England. Obviously GB would be more accurate but as repeatedly posted, GB came in for 1948. Probably Lions came I at the same time.k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

I have a replica of the 1932 and 1950's GB shirts and they both have the emblem of all 4 home nations, so definitely GB.

http://ellisrugby.com/product/gbrl-vintage-rugger/

Some tourists were Welsh too such. Doesnt matter what the Aussies put on a cover - it is wrong. The Aussies have often mistakenly called GB England even in the 80's

I wouldn’t put much stock in a company selling “replica” rugby shirts.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You mean 1936 England team, not "GB" team.  No such team as Great Britain existed before 1948.  I have a JPEG of a program cover from 1937 which clearly says England.

1946 was the first official GB tour later known as the Indomitables.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bird said:

Its still wrong though, the team was England. Obviously GB would be more accurate but as repeatedly posted, GB came in for 1948. Probably Lions came I at the same time.k

Its GB - Jim Sullivan on the 1932 tour was Welsh, as were many others.

why would the emblem have all four home nations on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I wouldn’t put much stock in a company selling “replica” rugby shirts.

Why? It's an exact replica of the badge and "V" and also came with a nice booklet explaining the history of the 1932 GB team

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

1946 was the first official GB tour later known as the Indomitables.

Sorry, my mistake.  It was 1946, not 1948.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Why? It's an exact replica of the badge and "V" and also came with a nice booklet explaining the history of the 1932 GB team

I looked on wiki (not the be all and end all I know) and they are contradictory across articles. I was always under the impression GB only came into being in 1946. There are plenty of references to this when the resurrection of GB is discussed on here.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...