Ken Oldham

Hornets Nest

Sadly another Hornets stalwart and former Director Kenneth Oldham passed away last night.

Ken had a 60 year association with the club starting as a scoreboard operator at the Athletic Grounds before becoming the Secretary of the Supporters club and the Steward of the Nest Bar.  

One of Ken’s main annual duties was to run the famous Christmas Draw than could sometimes have more than 150 prizes to allocate.

He was also involved in running many Wembley trips with Billy Sutcliffe in fact those trips started the Hornets tradition of running Wembley trips back in 1980.

Ken then became Secretary of the club until he left in 2009.

Ken is survived by his widow Joan who he met whilst carrying out his duties in the Nest Bar.

RIP Ken

Onward Hornets Onward

How sad to lose yet another Hornets stalwart in a short space of time.

Yes Ken was a tireless worker for the club for all those years and we don’t always appreciate the amount of free time they have devoted to the cause. 

My condolences to his wife and family.

RIP Ken

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

The funeral arrangements are as follows

Rochdale Crematorium

14.00hrs Tuesday 20th March 2018

Joan would then like to invite people back to Rochdale Cricket Club for some refreshments and a chat about Ken’s favourite subject – Hornets.

I am sure many Hornets memories will be discussed – the Bill Holliday drop goal being one of them and I know that one of his favourite matches was the 1958 epic at the Boulevard. The journey was made by a specially chartered steam train packed with Hornets fans hired by the Supporters club of which Ken’s Dad Herbert was part of the Committee at the time.

My Father used to tell the tale about Ken having to stand outside on the pre match pub crawl due to his age, being fed pop and crisps.

Joan will be glad to see people there – after all he gave a lifetime to the cause.

Archived