Arthur Rowe /Jack Dearden

clifford

The other Thursday evening Jack Dearden mentioned that Arthur Rowe turned pro with Oldham from another sport. He threw the shot put at the Olympics

My granddad did the deal and signed Arthur 

He lasted for 3/4 weeks and he then rang my granddad and told him that rugby league was too physical for him 

My granddad Clifford Bradley 

Here is the photo of the signing of the contract 

_20180411_203517.JPG

Clifford, as a youngster I was there at the 'Sheddings and I watched him play on the left wing. He was a big, strong, physical lad and when he ran, all too briefly, it always took three or four of the opposition to put him on the floor. He only played for the 'A' team on Saturday mornings but even then thousands came to watch him.  As you say, sadly he didn't last for very long in our game.  In later years I was often reminded of him when I watched our great Charlie Mac and the powerful way that he used to run with the ball.

Thanks Arthur, I know that my granddad preferred watching the A Team, and from the stories I have been told the A team away fixtures the players were treated to better meals than the first because he paid for proper food for them 

Clifford. Notice the 100% INTENTIONAL similarity in sound between my chosen username (ArthurO) and the subject of this topic ?

So, even after all these years thanks to your grandfather, Clifford Bradley, the Spirit and fleeting memory of Arthur Rowe the iconic player, continues to live, on the Roughyeds forum. 

On 14 April 2018 at 3:36 AM, clifford said:

No problem, there is many a story which I was told about the times in the 60s some printable others not 

But he maintained that the floating light pub cost Oldham a place in the challenge cup final 

Love your recent posts about the old days Clifford.

My recollection of a story involving the Floating Light pub was that one of our most famous players became, in his wife's opinion, too friendly with the landlady which resulted in him moving to a Yorkshire club with whom he went on to Challenge Cup success.

On 12 April 2018 at 5:11 AM, clifford said:

The other Thursday evening Jack Dearden mentioned that Arthur Rowe turned pro with Oldham from another sport. He threw the shot put at the Olympics

He lasted for 3/4 weeks and he then rang my granddad and told him that rugby league was too physical for him 

_20180411_203517.JPG

Brilliant Clifford.

Arthur was a very high profile athlete in his day.

International athletics was then, at least on the surface, strictly amateur and it irked him that talent and fame in his chosen sport did not generate much by way of monetary reward.

The story was that he spent the signing on fee on a new car and a new house.

Arthur was 26 years of age, 6' 2" tall, weighed over 18 stones and played on the wing. He was the Jonah Lomu of his day.  

On 4/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, clifford said:

_20180411_203517.JPG

hi Clifford, there is a professional colourist called Marina Amaral. She coloured the pictures of my Great Uncle.

It cost me £100 around, but was a present for my dad.

Your picture is more recent and much better quality so would turn out really well I think, min was a photo of a photo.

Apologies if you also have these in colour.

http://www.marinamaral.com/portfolio-2/

John%20Airey%20MGC%20finished_preview.jpeg

John20Airey20MGC.png

On 14/04/2018 at 11:22 PM, john in oz said:

My recollection of a story involving the Floating Light pub was that one of our most famous players became, in his wife's opinion, too friendly with the landlady which resulted in him moving to a Yorkshire club with whom he went on to Challenge Cup success.

Spot on

Well the said Mrs T spoke to my granddad, who already knew what was going on, and he explained to Mr T not to get friendly with the land lady. Mrs T told him that she was going to divorce Mr T if he carried on playing away and at Oldham, I believe a fully paid for house was offered but Mr T left along with a couple of others to Wakefield and Wigan. 

Archived