League One's Future

On 25/04/2018 at 11:09 PM, OriginalMrC said:

I'm confused now ? I think most of us are in agreement that things need to change but that withdrawing funding from League 1 clubs is a bad thing. Not quite sure I understand the opposing arguments... 

Indeed. I’m certainly of the view L1 needs changing as I posted a while ago. What we may be facing is not reform but abolition so the SL clubs can have a little more money even though a number really have little more to offer the sport than some L1 clubs. Continuing L1 is critical to the survival of the game. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so we are finally back to the start... let’s repose the original point of the thread.

what is the future for league 1? How do we deal with those clubs that are there to get the best out of them? Is ther a format that will suit all? What can thy do to help themselves etc etc. 

The issue has to be creating a more level playing field competition wise, so most games are more competitive for fans and neutrals. It’s a fact that things are easier for heartland clubs: greater access to DR players, players living locally and able to train regularly, more amateur teams, more media coverage...

Non heartland clubs need exposure to heartland clubs to raise their standards so I’d say -

1) bring back L1 cup and may be included some amateur clubs.

2) split L1 into north and south at end of season top teams in each play each other, but more from north than south recognising the status. 

Archived