Dave Parker

ArthurO

I'm so sad to read of the passing of Dave Parker. He followed-on from our other great loose forward, Rocky Turner. Dave was an elegant, thoughtful and skillful player. I believe he would have played for Great Britain more often in the 1960s had he not been playing at the same time as the other great loose forwards of that era, Don Fox, Dave Robinson and Laurie Gilfedder. I also believe that he would have led us out to victory at Wembley in 1964 had he not been 'targeted' and badly injured by his opposite number, Harry Poole in the second replay against HKR.  Dave Parker. RIP.

I am really  and genuinely sad to hear of Dave's passing. Apart from his undisputed ability as a player he was a true gentleman. He was a good friend of mine during his day at Platts where I worked as an apprentice. We talked a lot of rugby together and I remember seeing him on the Monday morning following the HKR semi final. The injury he got was horrendous and his face looked like a lump of liver. Poole should have been banned for a long time for that offence.

I forget what Dave's position was at Platts but somehow feel that he was the senior personnel manager, or something along those lines. As a young apprentice and at that time a young player I was late for work on a regular basis even though I only lived round the corner. Never seriously late, a matter of two or three minutes most mornings, but eventually I was brought up in front of Dave for a ticking off. The first question he asked me was why are you always late in the morning? To which I replied I just can't get out of bed because I'm tired. He knew that at that time I was travelling across Lancashire two evenings a week on a motorcycle to train with my team and he also knew just how much that takes out of you. He smiled put his head in his hands and simply said "Go on off you go, try not to be late again and whatever you do don't get brought up to see me again. He was a great guy who I had every respect for and from that day forward he would seek me out on the shop floor and he would give me advice with my rugby career and in return I did my best never to be late again.

Even though I have not seen him for many years I miss him being among us somehow. I can't think of another way to put it really. If anyone knows of the funeral details I may try to get there. It's the least I can do for a man who gave me great enjoyment as a player and who helped me such a lot in my younger days.

God bless Dave. 

19 hours ago, Ex-scrumhalf said:

I am really  and genuinely sad to hear of Dave's passing. Apart from his undisputed ability as a player he was a true gentleman. He was a good friend of mine during his day at Platts where I worked as an apprentice. We talked a lot of rugby together and I remember seeing him on the Monday morning following the HKR semi final. The injury he got was horrendous and his face looked like a lump of liver. Poole should have been banned for a long time for that offence.

I forget what Dave's position was at Platts but somehow feel that he was the senior personnel manager, or something along those lines. As a young apprentice and at that time a young player I was late for work on a regular basis even though I only lived round the corner. Never seriously late, a matter of two or three minutes most mornings, but eventually I was brought up in front of Dave for a ticking off. The first question he asked me was why are you always late in the morning? To which I replied I just can't get out of bed because I'm tired. He knew that at that time I was travelling across Lancashire two evenings a week on a motorcycle to train with my team and he also knew just how much that takes out of you. He smiled put his head in his hands and simply said "Go on off you go, try not to be late again and whatever you do don't get brought up to see me again. He was a great guy who I had every respect for and from that day forward he would seek me out on the shop floor and he would give me advice with my rugby career and in return I did my best never to be late again.

Even though I have not seen him for many years I miss him being among us somehow. I can't think of another way to put it really. If anyone knows of the funeral details I may try to get there. It's the least I can do for a man who gave me great enjoyment as a player and who helped me such a lot in my younger days.

God bless Dave. 

That's a lovely story, nice to hear something like that, 

Sadly I have learned that Dave actually died on the 9th of November and his funeral is tomorrow (Monday) at 12.15 in Hertfordshire and it is just too short notice to be able to go. Had it been later in the week the distance would have been no problem and I would definitely have gone.

As for the story I suppose it is quite nice really but that's Rugby League for you one big family full of really hard men but most of whom have hearts of gold.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for that RL. Not just the Dave Parker bit but all of the Platts stuff as well. I spent many happy years at Platts and know lots of the people mentioned.  I was even in the training room that is pictured. I remember very well that interview I had with Dave Parker and I think a guy called Jack Garside. It was a grueller but I got through. Thanks for the happy memories.

I remember Dave Parker taking me and a group of other school leavers around Platts in 1964. We were all aspiring engineering apprentices. Must have been before Poole smashed him and took away our Wembley dream. I often wonder if Dave Parker ever spoke to Poole after that incident.

Great man and a great player R.I.P Dave.

Archived