Sat 14 Sept: Championship Qualifying Play-off: Toulouse Olympique v York City Knights KO 2pm (OurLeague App)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/19 at 13:30

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/09/2019 at 11:58, Trojan said:

Just because you live in a big city that's no reason to take the ###### out of those of us who don't.  Featherstone is a small former mining village, population 12,000.  Despite this disadvantage they have won the RLCC three times and been runners up twice.  They have also won the championship when it was a top flight comp. Perhaps when Toulouse have done the same you'll be entitled to sneer. After all you only won on the 7th because the ref didn't allow two perfectly good tries.  Were you there BTW or did you stay away like the majority of Toulouse supporters?  Unlike the Fev fans who paid entry to your ###### ground.

I'm sorry if you think I was sneering, that's so far from the truth to be ridiculous. I have the utmost respect for small mining villages, a lot of my forbears worked down the pits. Besides,  I live in a village of less than 200 and I have to travel 2 hours for a home match.  I don't do big cities.

Toulouse had the disadvantage of the Vichy banning the sport during WWII and then French RL having to have to be built up from nothing for the last 70 years. French RL had to start from scratch after WWII so it's not surprising that Toulouse haven't won anything, they don't have the long history that English RL clubs have.  Give it time and maybe they could and then I could learn to sneer, to be honest though, I don't do sneering, it's a form of bullying and I detest bullies.

It's a different culture in France, there isn't the tribalism that comes with supporting a team in England. There is no Lancashire/Yorkshire divide, no North/South history... those that turn up at the TO games want to see a game of football and will applaud the teams from both sides and recognise decent play/players. I've had the displeasure of meeting some really, really nasty supporters from England (yes... Hull.... i'm talking about you!) who would rather spend the 80 minutes intimidating grandparents/grandchildren than watch the match. The rest of us are into the game not the war on the terrace.

I was there on the 7th, there were 7 of us. Do you remember? You might remember the 15yr old daughter of my friend who had a couple of Fev fans screaming "Cheating ######" in her face after the game? I'm not sure she will be back. None of us were wearing "referee yellow" or had a whistle and had spent 80 minutes on the pitch. A little harsh don't you think? I had a conversation with Davide Longo after the match and he agreed that there is a problem with a minority of Fev fans, zero tolerance he said, and if that means banning alcohol at the ground, he will.

At the TO ground in Blagnac, many TO fans have season tickets so are waved through, I am one of them. Plus, for some matches if you get there early you are allowed in for free (next time, let me know and i'm sure I can get you in without the 10€ charge...mind you, that will probably be worth 50quid next year when the pound tanks). I'm still miffed that I got charged 5quid for parking at Post Office Road... almost cost me as much as my flight !

Still, keep the faith and maybe a TO v Fev semi-final is still going to happen and we can see who wins with a decent referee.  I will be happy to buy you a pint if you make yourself known.

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

I'm sorry if you think I was sneering, that's so far from the truth to be ridiculous. I have the utmost respect for small mining villages, a lot of my forbears worked down the pits. Besides,  I live in a village of less than 200 and I have to travel 2 hours for a home match.  I don't do big cities.

Toulouse had the disadvantage of the Vichy banning the sport during WWII and then French RL having to have to be built up from nothing for the last 70 years. French RL had to start from scratch after WWII so it's not surprising that Toulouse haven't won anything, they don't have the long history that English RL clubs have.  Give it time and maybe they could and then I could learn to sneer, to be honest though, I don't do sneering, it's a form of bullying and I detest bullies.

It's a different culture in France, there isn't the tribalism that comes with supporting a team in England. There is no Lancashire/Yorkshire divide, no North/South history... those that turn up at the TO games want to see a game of football and will applaud the teams from both sides and recognise decent play/players. I've had the displeasure of meeting some really, really nasty supporters from England (yes... Hull.... i'm talking about you!) who would rather spend the 80 minutes intimidating grandparents/grandchildren than watch the match. The rest of us are into the game not the war on the terrace.

I was there on the 7th, there were 7 of us. Do you remember? You might remember the 15yr old daughter of my friend who had a couple of Fev fans screaming "Cheating ######" in her face after the game? I'm not sure she will be back. None of us were wearing "referee yellow" or had a whistle and had spent 80 minutes on the pitch. A little harsh don't you think? I had a conversation with Davide Longo after the match and he agreed that there is a problem with a minority of Fev fans, zero tolerance he said, and if that means banning alcohol at the ground, he will.

At the TO ground in Blagnac, many TO fans have season tickets so are waved through, I am one of them. Plus, for some matches if you get there early you are allowed in for free (next time, let me know and i'm sure I can get you in without the 10€ charge...mind you, that will probably be worth 50quid next year when the pound tanks). I'm still miffed that I got charged 5quid for parking at Post Office Road... almost cost me as much as my flight !

Still, keep the faith and maybe a TO v Fev semi-final is still going to happen and we can see who wins with a decent referee.  I will be happy to buy you a pint if you make yourself known.

Unfortunately should we win at York I shall not be in Toulouse for the semi, it clashes with my grand daughter's 8th birthday.  I have my priorities you see.  I'm sorry about your daughter, and make no excuse for loutish behaviour, but you can understand the annoyance of Fev fans who had seen their team effectively robbed by the referee of two perfectly good tries.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived