Sign in to follow this  
TIWIT

Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

I was watching American football yesterday. The commentator made preference to a baseball player who now plays in the NFL. He put the players skill down to being an ex baseball player. Not sure how that works!

I assume you are referencing a few quarterbacks.. Kyler Murray for instance was a top draft choice for the MLB but turned that down to go number 1 to the Cardinals and there are others (and have been for a while.. John Elway did the same).. It is about throwing style, the ability to have more range with "stranger" throwing actions, the ability to throw whilst not as "planted" as you would expect of a traditional QB etc etc.. 

One reason I have heard from friends who are into football for us not having the magical midfielders that other countries have is that we dont encourage our footballers to play other sports from a young age, to see the field differently. (one person also said that its because our second sport needs the ball to go backwards too) where as other countries encourage players to play basketball, handball, waterpolo etc

when i used to play RL we used to train with loads of different balls of all shapes and sizes, played random games etc which got you thinking about space in a different way. Training the U12s now I get them player Rugby Netball, football, "korfball style games", with golf ball size balls, basketballs, mini rugby balls and so on.. it gets them to adapt and change.. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m still trying to find the link that Toronto are trying to setup an academy in the north west to recruit from the same pool as other SL clubs............one of us might get there one day 😉

Keep looking , but you won't find it , because as you already know the discussion was in response to a poster suggesting they should do so , nothing else , but that is the way of internet MB's , if you haven't realised that by now , then perhaps the internet isn't for you 

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The original suggestion was Greater Manchester , if you haven't read the original question don't comment 

I could find 30 young men who play RL tomorrow , none of them would ever make it to the pro ranks though 

Salford have run academies in the past as have Leigh,Oldham,Swinton,Rochdale and all the Yorkshire clubs , they have all produced International players , but now the system is different , and all the best are signed up much earlier than they were then , any late developers also end up at the top clubs 

So you believe that Toronto would be able to compete with Wigan,Saints and Warrington for those players ?

Mate seek help you have lost the plot

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Mate seek help you have lost the plot

What's up chuck ? , You and your 2 ' buddies ' given up trying to actually answer a question ? 

So just going for a ' generic ' insult ? 

Happy to continue our little debate later , but if you don't feel up to it I won't hold it against you 

All the best 

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

Possibly you should be looking at baseball players then..

The Wolfpack will leave no stone unturned in its quest for rugby supremacy.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Who ? 😉

Check the header at the top of the page.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This isn't a book , it's a tablet 

Actually, I'm on a phone. But a topic header is the same on any device.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This isn't a book , it's a tablet 

...and this thread is turning into a suppository.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On 24/11/2019 at 23:41, Dave T said:

I dont think it is controversial to state that RU players have contributed a great deal to RL over the years.

But they can't pass, can't tackle, are grossly overweight and not very fit.

I know that must be true because I've read it in here for years.

I've never quite understood for the life of me why RU clubs simply don't recruit more RL players given how superior they are and earning far less money. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

I've never quite understood for the life of me why RU clubs simply don't recruit more RL players given how superior they are and earning far less money. 

I'm sensing a tiny bit of sarcasm here.......

I don't think anybody (well certainly nobody who actually watches both codes) could argue that RU players don't have a good skillset for the game they play and furthermore that RU would be 'easy' for RL players. But, they are 2 different games and it's not unfair to say most RU players would struggle playing league because of their lack of ability in the areas you mention above. Living in Wales and seeing many lads from Rugby come and have a crack at league I can vouch for that firsthand. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Welcome back YK. Hope you are well rested after your ban.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 26/11/2019 at 18:54, iangidds said:

The question is he signing? I doubt he will

Whats happened is the club are going to give him a pay rise and he didn't even ask for one.

The fear of union internationals coming to TGG is enough for any club to give a player a pay rise without asking for one.

I expect we will see many rumours in the near future of union internationals coming to TGG, just so they can get a pay rise 😀

From the beeb; a few days ago.

"At the moment, I don't want to look to the future too far ahead," said Tuilagi, who previously rejected an offer from Paris-based Racing 92.

"You have to focus on the now, and for me, I've two years at Tigers."

Standard response when discussing possibly moving clubs etc. Will all come down to the money, and what Toronto are willing to pay.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

From the beeb; a few days ago.

"At the moment, I don't want to look to the future too far ahead," said Tuilagi, who previously rejected an offer from Paris-based Racing 92.

"You have to focus on the now, and for me, I've two years at Tigers."

Standard response when discussing possibly moving clubs etc. Will all come down to the money, and what Toronto are willing to pay.

Probably not as much as he would like as he's a injury prone player, so will stay at Leicester with a pay rise