NRL Squad Numbers on Jerseys - YES or NO

Squad Numbers in the NRL  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should NRL adopt Squad Numbers for players rather than positional numbers?

• Yes, it works well in Super League and the Championship
    • No, it is confusing or unnecessary
    • Not bothered - it would make no difference to my enjoyment of the game.

A bloke on the Roar site, Andréa  Mandadakis is speculating over whether the NRL should follow the British game and award squad numbers to be used on the backs of players' jerseys in games.

The traditional position numbers are as we know currently used in NRL games.

We have used squad numbers in my Championship club in the UK in common with SL and al the other Championship clubs.

Yes, it raises the individual's profile above the positional indication.

I know in our club it opened up opportunities for more sponsorship of individual players and their kit, which could be presented to them at a special cluhouse presentation evening.

Fans can also show their support for their favourite player by buying a repica jersey and having the player's  name and special number put on it.

Pros and Cons - yes or no?

What do you reckon? 

• Graham changed the title to NRL Squad Numbers on Jerseys - YES or NO

At one stage we used to number all three grades from 1-39. First grade was 1-13, Reserves 14-26 and U23s 27-39/ The bench players in NRL used to wear 51, 52, etc.

Our current system is fine. If you have a number from 1-17 it means you've earned it. Fans of a club don't need numbers to identify the players. Would squad numbers (and/or names) increase jumper sales? I don't think so. You can already get one with a number on it if you want.

• 1 month later...

The idea seems to have been drawn from the popularity of the NBA in the early 90s, and particularly from Michael Jordan being so synonymous with number 23. But it never seems to have really taken off in Superleague, and doesn't even seem to be much of a thing in the NBA nowadays.

Archived