Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

Just now, fighting irish said:

If you do, you will open an enormous can of worms, which will haunt us for decades.

Huge numbers of people from all over the world are anti-gay.

They are wrong. So what are we going to do about it?

For a start we should stop acting surprised.

Thankfully, we have laws in this country, to curb the worst excesses of these evangelists, but expecting them all to renounce their beliefs, just because we say so, is extremely naive.

If they ever do, it will take a very long time indeed. Our best hope of changing these erroneous beliefs is by persuasion, not force.

The club, and the RFL have an agreement with Israel Folau, to keep quiet, so lets see whether he's willing to honour his agreement or not.

But backing others into a corner and forcing them to reveal their beliefs on this subject is very unwise indeed.

Sport should stand aside from religion and politics.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We shouldn't ignore homophobia.

Tell your local mp then.  When i go to the football i couldnt care less players views 

He's a rugby player not a politician 

I don't need to look at rugby players for moral guidance 

All.they are there to do is to throw around a football 

Just now, aj1908 said:

Tell your local mp then.  When i go to the football i couldnt care less players views 

That's a pretty outdated view, although you're entitled to it.  Most people, however, acknowledge that sports stars are in a position of influence (young people especially look up to them, they have a wide audience) and so what they say is important.  If they say something hateful, it's right that there are consequences.

4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

If Wigan had signed him I suspect the other clubs wouldn't have cared as much since they have more influence in the game 

I suspect you are wrong.

Catalans have signed bad-boys in the past with no issue. This is a particularly toxic case that has been worldwide news (bad news).

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

If Wigan had signed him I suspect the other clubs wouldn't have cared as much since they have more influence in the game 

Rather than care more because they are a bigger brand, and it would do worse for the image than the lonely club in France doing it?

6 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

They aren't just there to throw around a football, you are just bang wrong on that. 

Most employers have behavioural standards. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I suspect you are wrong.

Catalans have signed bad-boys in the past with no issue. This is a particularly toxic case that has been worldwide news (bad news).

Well see in a month about whether it's bad or good news he's making for rugby league 

Massive storm in a teacup 

Just now, Dave T said:

They aren't just there to throw around a football, you are just bang wrong on that. 

Most employers have behavioural standards. 

I've thought about this I.dont even think he's homophobic 

I'm sure he could've taken the nrl to court for not allowing him to play 

Hes quoting the bible 

You know in court that thing They make most people swear on 

Just now, aj1908 said:

Well see in a month about whether it's bad or good news he's making for rugby league 

Massive storm in a teacup 

I think somebody else on this thread summed it up quite well.

RU are not happy to employ homophobic bigots, whereas RL are happy to have them, no worries. I think we should worry a bit when RU can claim a moral high ground over us. 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

I've thought about this I.dont even think he's homophobic 

I'm sure he could've taken the nrl to court for not allowing him to play 

Hes quoting the bible 

You know in court that thing They make most people swear on 

No. He didn't quote the bible. 

If you can show me an exact quote, I will back down, but he did not quote the bible, and that should stop being used as a defence. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I think somebody else on this thread summed it up quite well.

RU are not happy to employ homophobic bigots, whereas RL are happy to have them, no worries. I think we should worry a bit when RU can claim a moral high ground over us. 

Yes that was a union troll lol

The aru kept him after his first lot of comments 

Don't worry given unions history we are safe about the moral high ground even though it's.done nothing for league ever 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

No. He didn't quote the bible. 

If you can show me an exact quote, I will back down, but he did not quote the bible, and that should stop being used as a defence. 

Paraphrased the bible are you happy 

Everything he said is a sin actually is 

Just now, aj1908 said:

Yes that was a union troll lol

The aru kept him after his first lot of comments 

Don't worry given unions history we are safe about the moral high ground even though it's.done nothing for league ever 

Yes, Union disciplined him after the first incident. Then he doubled down, and again, and RU got rid. 

We had the full background there, with all the incidents, so cannot dismiss this as a one-off mistake and still chose to go out and sign him.

Just now, Dave T said:

Yes, Union disciplined him after the first incident. Then he doubled down, and again, and RU got rid. 

We had the full background there, with all the incidents, so cannot dismiss this as a one-off mistake and still chose to go out and sign him.

So union were happy to keep.him thanks there goes their moral.high ground

We are safe from scorn 

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Lenghan said They looked at him but didn't have salary cap space so 

You keep saying that like it means they signed him and realised that they couldn't because of the salary cap so backed off. They looked at an available player that was on the market, that doesn't mean he was going to sign him.

Just now, aj1908 said:

So union were happy to keep.him thanks there goes their moral.high ground

We are safe from scorn 

Don't start acting stupid, otherwise people will think you are.

Union sacked him after the various incidents. We hired him after those same various incidents. 

Just now, Click said:

You keep saying that like it means they signed him and realised that they couldn't because of the salary cap so backed off. They looked at an available player that was on the market, that doesn't mean he was going to sign him.

Yeh sure that's why lenghan said they had no cap space lol 

Just now, Dave T said:

Don't start acting stupid, otherwise people will think you are.

Union sacked him after the various incidents. We hired him after those same various incidents. 

Yeh so 

You said union had the moral high ground since they wouldn't sign or keep a "homophobe

They certainly did keep him

Archived