League 1 director warns against closed-door games

On 12/05/2020 at 23:50, Robthegasman said:

I fear that playing games behind closed doors will devastate club finances especially at Championship and Championship 1 level.

And as someone mentioned elsewhere would the insurers give the clubs cover to play?

What would they be insuring?

On 12/05/2020 at 23:50, Robthegasman said:

I fear that playing games behind closed doors will devastate club finances especially at Championship and Championship 1 level.

And as someone mentioned elsewhere would the insurers give the clubs cover to play?

Surely they are better off not playing at all than playing behind closed doors. Just mothball until next season.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Right, well you said the clubs before, which is it? And what exactly is your concern about insurers are resumption of play?

Clubs insurance cover for the players.Perhaps I should have said clearer.

Insurers have many Caveats and conditions as part of the Insurance policies.It is possible that whilst we are on this lockdown the insurance companies will not cover the players should anything happen.I am not an insurance broker.

Just now, Robthegasman said:

Clubs insurance cover for the players.Perhaps I should have said clearer.

Insurers have many Caveats and conditions as part of the Insurance policies.It is possible that whilst we are on this lockdown the insurance companies will not cover the players should anything happen.I am not an insurance broker.

No one will insure against covid, as you could as easily pick that up in normal society, and players would be required to sign a waiver like they have in NRL

This is a situation that will be common across the lower leagues of all sports. The premier League and maybe the championship in football could consider playing behind closed doors and for SL it is a possibility too as there are TV deals in place.

For lower league clubs in all sports where TV isn't dishing cash out, playing behind closed doors increases your cost base without increasing your income.

Much as I want to see the game back, it would be financial recklessness to take it on before the turnstiles can open.

Archived