How much do you like football (soccer)?

How much do you like football (soccer)?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you like football (soccer)?

• I like it more than I like rugby league
    • I like it about the same amount as I like rugby league
    • I like it less than rugby league, but it's still good
    • I have very little interest in it - just maybe watch a few of the big matches (e.g. World Cup)
    • I don't like it at all
    • I'm Harry Stottle

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The NFL sees to it that the money doesn’t distort the league in the way that it does in the Premier League. In the highly unlikely event that a shady Russian businessman or oil rich Middle Eastern billionaires were allowed to take over NFL franchises that have nothing of note for years they wouldn’t be able to buy up the best  players and win championships like what happened with Chelsea  and Man City.

Very good points. Thanks for the reply.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The NFL sees to it that the money doesn’t distort the league in the way that it does in the Premier League. In the highly unlikely event that a shady Russian businessman or oil rich Middle Eastern billionaires were allowed to take over NFL franchises that have nothing of note for years they wouldn’t be able to buy up the best  players and win championships like what happened with Chelsea  and Man City.

New money has allowed Man City and Chelsea to expand the top four to a top six. It's true that PL clubs without such sugar daddies will never win anything,  but if new investors were not allowed to spend what they can afford then Man U and Arsenal who dominated prior to Abramovich would still be winning everything. In Germany where they have a stricter regime regarding who can invest,  the result is Bayern Munich have won 8 championships on the trot. Without allowing a reasonable freedom of investment the big clubs stay in control. To illustrate this Man City are now IN FAVOUR of FFP, they've got into the big six and want to pull up the drawbridge to prevent any new pesky little club getting a share of the spoils of the PL. Everton could be the next to break into the top tier with their rich owner promising to spend big.  Good luck to them. Dare I say it but with the strict rules in SL and salary cap, no one other than the big clubs are likely ever to be champions. 

Anyway, why should Man City or Chelsea winning the league be a distortion? You can only mean clubs outside the historically big  ones should know their place, be happy making up the numbers,  and don't distort the status quo of Man U and other big clubs winning things

Archived