Rugby League in America Podcast - Euro XIIIs

Thought some of you might be interested in this week’s RLIA podcast where Nate Gladen interviews a number of people involved in Euro XIIIs. I know there’s a lot of scepticism on this forum and some of you hope it doesn’t come off, but I hope it does and it’s a really exciting prospect. 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why is your initial thought to belittle it without even trying to find out why they’ve chosen it (it’s obviously not random btw). 

Please enlighten us. Explain why it is "brilliant" as you've just hailed it. 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why is your initial thought to belittle it without even trying to find out why they’ve chosen it (it’s obviously not random btw). 

Because my understanding is that the Atlanta Rhinos is that area’s sole club side in comparison to the 4-5 Florida based sides and the corridor from Boston to Philly that, again, is home to 4-5 sides. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Because my understanding is that the Atlanta Rhinos is that area’s sole club side in comparison to the 4-5 Florida based sides and the corridor from Boston to Philly that, again, is home to 4-5 sides. 

Small time thinking. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Please enlighten us. Explain why it is "brilliant" as you've just hailed it. 

It’s exciting, much more so than anything that’s happened off the pitch in English RL for a long time (other than TWP signing SBW). 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Small time thinking. 

Yeah, one club for hundreds, if not thousands of miles, reducing the number of players who play Rugby League and thus relying on people who aren’t familiar to grow this “innovative, ground breaking” multi national league, if it ever happens, is “small time thinking”. 

It’s why Wigan look for kids in the Highlands of Scotland....oh, wait...

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, one club for hundreds, if not thousands of miles, reducing the number of players who play Rugby League and thus relying on people who aren’t familiar to grow this “innovative, ground breaking” multi national league, if it ever happens, is “small time thinking”. 

It’s why Wigan look for kids in the Highlands of Scotland....oh, wait...

They’re trying to find top athletes and make them into RL players, it’s obvious. And who do you think will take a cut if they do? 

Thanks Eddie for supplying the link to the podcast.

I just listened to it and enjoyed it immensely.

At the moment, I wouldn't bet against these blokes making this happen.

It's wild, it's wacky, it's far-fetched, it's outrageous, it's grandiose, it's intriguing and it might just be genius.

One of the things I like about it (and its reminiscent of my own experience 40 years ago) is that these people are not prepared to wait, for ''permission'' or ''approval'' or even ''encouragement'' from the inert, languid, lethargic, uninspiring ''daddy knows best'' establishment.

They are prepared to give it go and back their own initiative on their own dollar. 

Good luck to them.

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

They are prepared to give it go and back their own initiative on their own dollar.

Hmm... ok, I just finished listening too, and it's funny you mention money.  The podcast lasted over an hour and a half yet we did not hear anything about funding, what I would have thought would be by far the most fundamental topic of discussion.

Moving on from that.  I am a bit confused by how frequently their narrative/strategy seems to be changing (even contradicting itself), a few examples:

1) This was initially announced as a semi-pro competition, a chance for a European players to play at a higher level, they now seem to be saying it is an amateur competition.

2) Draft players, were supposedly lift the standard of Euro XIII.  However, with today's announcement of Atlanta-based players, it seems we are being told Euro XIII will help lift the standard of these American players!?  The Irish guy, when asked having a Brisbane-based player would benefit his team, his answer was along the lines of:  They will be good RL players and bring plenty of experience to our team.  Then, when asked how having an Atlanta-based in his team would benefit, his answer was:  it will be great, we get to meet new people.  So what exactly is the purpose of these draft players after all?

3) RLEF.  Seems a real thorn in their (Euro 13s) side.  Their most recent statement assures people that they are working with RLEF and keen to find a way to collaborate.  However, some of today's comments, seem to have discarded any possible RLEF involvement, as he repeatedly said:  Read the RLEF constitution, there is nothing in there about them governing club competitions, only international.  If that is their stance, then fine, but just be clear about it.  Because, they just seem to have one foot in each camp at the minute.

Anyhow, like I say, considering how long it was, there was very little real information given on this podcast, other than the Atlanta draft story.

7 hours ago, langpark said:

2) Draft players, were supposedly lift the standard of Euro XIII.  However, with today's announcement of Atlanta-based players, it seems we are being told Euro XIII will help lift the standard of these American players!?  The Irish guy, when asked having a Brisbane-based player would benefit his team, his answer was along the lines of:  They will be good RL players and bring plenty of experience to our team.  Then, when asked how having an Atlanta-based in his team would benefit, his answer was:  it will be great, we get to meet new people.  So what exactly is the purpose of these draft players after all?

They really obviously aren’t trying to do the same thing with a Brisbane draft and an Atlanta draft. One is to raise the standard of the competition and the other is to try to find new players. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They really obviously aren’t trying to do the same thing with a Brisbane draft and an Atlanta draft. One is to raise the standard of the competition and the other is to try to find new players. 

Interesting.  I would have thought watching an Atlanta Rhinos match on youtube would have been the most effective way to find those players.

Also, there were several mentions of "Qld Cup players" on the show.  I think they may underestimate the sheer strength of the Qld Cup and the fact that this will clash with their pre-season matches.  Good luck even poaching one of their waterboys at that time of year, let alone a player!

40 minutes ago, langpark said:

Interesting.  I would have thought watching an Atlanta Rhinos match on youtube would have been the most effective way to find those players.

Also, there were several mentions of "Qld Cup players" on the show.  I think they may underestimate the sheer strength of the Qld Cup and the fact that this will clash with their pre-season matches.  Good luck even poaching one of their waterboys at that time of year, let alone a player!

Very shortsighted of you to think they’re only looking at existing RL players in the American draft. 

Archived