Six Again Rule Kills the 40/20

Noticed a huge drop in 40/20 kick attempts since the NRL introduced the 'Six Again' rule. I can barely remember more than one 40/20 in 40 matches since the restart. Is it now an even lower percentage play than it was before, as you can simply roll down field with a restarted six if the ref is regularly enforcing it? It was one of the laws that could turn a game on its head - shame if it is bundled out of fashion.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Noticed a huge drop in 40/20 kick attempts since the NRL introduced the 'Six Again' rule. I can barely remember more than one 40/20 in 40 matches since the restart. Is it now an even lower percentage play than it was before, as you can simply roll down field with a restarted six if the ref is regularly enforcing it? It was one of the laws that could turn a game on its head - shame if it is bundled out of fashion.

Did cleary get one yesterday? 

Im not sure I see the correlation . You can’t bank on getting a set restart ( unless Adam Gee is refereeing )  .You do see attempted 40/20s in lots of games , but it’s a tough skill to nail . I’ve seen a few .It’s a great play though 

This is tangentially related, or not depending on your viewpoint.

I`m sure that over recent decades the proportion of tries that are long or mid-range, where the ball is passed or offloaded several times, has steadily fallen. Most are now overwhelmingly from short-range, and long-range tries tend to be breakaways or intercepts where no defenders lay a hand on the scorer. Intuitively you would think this trend is being compounded by set-restarts.

53 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Im not sure I see the correlation

I suppose one correlation would be if teams were getting a restart early in the set (as seems to be happening) then a team would be able to clear their own 40 more easily and so the 40/20 would be less likely as a latter set play as the team in possession is beyond the 40 more often.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d be interested to see how many 40/20’s there are in the NRL as to the untrained eye, 40/20’s are as rare as a red card in the NRL. 

7 so far this year.

37 in total last year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think its an underused tactic   . The power , technique and ability kickers have now the 40/20 should be more a part of the play during exit sets . You can turn being  under pressure to being on the attack , you can turn the flow of a game . And it’s a great tryscoring opportunity if it’s nailed ... even if it’s not it’s a long exit kick . I like the dummy half 40/20 in particular . One thing that’s a little bizarre is when a guy belts it on the angle to the touchline but he has one foot outside the 40 ... if you’re going to do it be aware and make sure you’re in the 40 so you get max reward if it finds touch in the 20

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How many in Super League last year? I feel like, completely unconfirmed, that we have more in Super League. 

24 in Super League last year.

Archived