Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ve noticed in a number of games this year that it seems the ref will stop the shot clock well before they should or not even run it at all. Is this because of the 6 again rule? 

It seems bizarre it’s not been applied properly. There was a scrum in the Brisbane NZ game where he called off the clock and the scrum wasn’t even nearly set

Edited by DoubleD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're right.

There seems an overwhelming imperative to keep the game flowing with both the chopped off shot clock and the six again rule. I'm guessing there's more minutes of action per game this season than ever before.  

You can see the relief on the players' faces when there's a stoppage for strapping up a cut or a knee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Graham said:

You can see the relief on the players' faces when there's a stoppage for strapping up a cut or a knee.

Quick segway here , this is something that I really struggle with . Why we stop the game for virtually every injury , and why we put it in the hands of trainers who have a vested interest in stopping the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Quick segway here , this is something that I really struggle with . Why we stop the game for virtually every injury , and why we put it in the hands of trainers who have a vested interest in stopping the game 

I expect you saw that knee strapping at the weekend on the pitch that took the trainer at least three or four minutes maybe more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Graham said:

I expect you saw that knee strapping at the weekend on the pitch that took the trainer at least three or four minutes maybe more.

And the cramp the other week . And the one where the trainer attended the player then put his hand up when his team started defending . And the stoppages for a bloody nose , and to strap someone’s melon etc etc . 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shot clock seems a waste of time, as said the ref just waives it off most of the time. For most injuries apart from legs the ref used to insist the player was taken to the back of play or if near the touchline off the pitch, now with the protocols about head injuries it seems a catchall for any injury and is unlikely to change, nobody wants to risk litigation is what it really comes down to not player safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opportunities for more ads on Channel 9.

Amazing how all the attempts to speed the game up have led to it taking longer to play an entire game. 

These 'stoppages' for drop outs and kick offs after a score, and even for conversions  lose the momentum of a game. I could shower and shave the time it takes Cam Smith to attempt a conversion, particularly since 9 times out of 10 it follows a referral to the bunker.

The number of times you see the players and referee ready to (re) start play but having to wait for the OK from some TV bloke. Annoying.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Opportunities for more ads on Channel 9.

Amazing how all the attempts to speed the game up have led to it taking longer to play an entire game. 

These 'stoppages' for drop outs and kick offs after a score, and even for conversions  lose the momentum of a game. I could shower and shave the time it takes Cam Smith to attempt a conversion, particularly since 9 times out of 10 it follows a referral to the bunker.

The number of times you see the players and referee ready to (re) start play but having to wait for the OK from some TV bloke. Annoying.

.

It’s a bugbear of mine , the stoppages and the time it takes to play a game . I watched the Titans Cowboys game and that ref checked everything , even to the point of the players and fans getting fed up ... captains challenges some of which take half a dozen views ... injuries , virtually every one . Checking for no try when a player knows he hasn’t scored and  is on  the 10 waiting to restart , and the ref knows he hasn’t scored ... etc . It’s a fast game but to often now it’s fractured for all sorts of reasons and it’s getting on for 2 hours . Vossy joked yesterday his game would be done by 10 o’clock 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...