Speeded up NRL taking its toll on Players

Hard to argue with that.

key:

The new rules introduced, not just this season but over the past few years, like reducing the number of substitutions, were aimed at increasing fatigue and opening up the game for more attacking football.

The flipside of that was also supposed to be lessening the impact of the collisions to cut down on injuries, but what we've seen this season is the rapid-fire game getting beset by stars (usually those who play the most minutes and handle the ball the most) getting hurt...

The other reason the impact of these injuries seems so much more apparent this year is the limited pool teams have to pick from.

If a player isn't in the bubble, it takes weeks to get them into camp and then up to match fitness, as we've seen with Sonny Bill Williams, who's still at least one week away from his return to play.

And that's if a team has the luxury of salary cap space and time to spare. Otherwise, they're stuck with whoever they brought with them into the land of biosecurity.

So, with the finals five weeks away, the good news is that there is time for many of these stars not hit by season-ending injuries to recover.

I'm reserving judgement on this claim............it's seems a knee jerk reaction to me to a spout of injuries at certain clubs. This has happened in the past, so I would like to see more evidence and stats to support the assertion. Clubs like Penrith and Parramatta have almost full rosters.

56 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm reserving judgement on this claim............it's seems a knee jerk reaction to me to a spout of injuries at certain clubs. This has happened in the past, so I would like to see more evidence and stats to support the assertion. Clubs like Penrith and Parramatta have almost full rosters.

The injury toll at all clubs is seems at a higher level than before with key creative players in particular going down. 
Panthers are an exception and have benefitted from that. Exception proving the rule surely?

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

The injury toll at all clubs is seems at a higher level than before with key creative players in particular going down. 
Panthers are an exception and have benefitted from that. Exception proving the rule surely?

Do you have the stats to back this up?

Panthers aren't the exception...........Eels haven't been badly affected and the Raiders have only seen Hodgson go with a serious injury

I’m not making a correlation yet but I’m open minded . It’s a brutal sport and injuries happen . A lot of the bad injuries that stick in my mind are just incidents in normal play , regardless of the new rules . Mitchell’s was one 

Archived