Jackson Hasting signs contract with...

Futtocks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see from the Wigan website that John Bateman has been given the 13 jersey vacated by O'Loughlin. 

I realise that numbers these days are not necessarily mapped to positions but the first team 1 to 17 typically are... and the rest of the Wigan 13 look like the first choice side.

Is this just a case of allowing Isa and Farrell to keep 11 and 12 or do we think Bateman will be used as a mobile/ball playing middle forward this year?

If the latter what does it mean for England's options. I have to say I think Bateman is a world class edge forward and it weakens the England team if we don't play him there (partnering Whitehead of fit and on form).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I see from the Wigan website that John Bateman has been given the 13 jersey vacated by O'Loughlin. 

I realise that numbers these days are not necessarily mapped to positions but the first team 1 to 17 typically are... and the rest of the Wigan 13 look like the first choice side.

Is this just a case of allowing Isa and Farrell to keep 11 and 12 or do we think Bateman will be used as a mobile/ball playing middle forward this year?

If the latter what does it mean for England's options. I have to say I think Bateman is a world class edge forward and it weakens the England team if we don't play him there (partnering Whitehead of fit and on form).

Jackson Hastings will be wearing No 31,I'm not sure if Lam will play Bateman at loose forward,but playing there for Wigan doesn't mean he will for England.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Based on last years form Isa and Farrell would keep their numbers, which leaves 13 for Bateman. But that's just numbers.   I think previously Bateman played right edge so I think the issue for Wigan is whether they want to  run with 3 prop type middles and probably drop Isa down the pecking order or start switching their preferred edge players around to play in the middle.

This season will see how Wigans young forwards settle and determine who gets the regular nod. Morgan Smithies got a long suspension and that set him back I think, but my logic from a distance says he would be the 3rd middle.  And if was coaching Wigan (!!) then I'd be thinking hard about the No9 spot, this leaving all bets off when it comes to the halves.

Archived