Revamping International Rugby League

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d just have England play in a 4 nations regardless, they should be playing high profile internationals every year no matter what hemisphere they are on. You improve by playing top teams.

Id love to see PNG become the 5th nation, but again they need regular internationals against good opponents 

Right.

But that 4 Nations would exclude PNG, who are a stronger team going on recent results. Seems quite unfair to just blindly include England at their expense. The last game they played against the English was quite one-sided. I'm not sure (from an on-field perspective) what England has done to merit inclusion.

4 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Right.

But that 4 Nations would exclude PNG, who are a stronger team going on recent results. Seems quite unfair to just blindly include England at their expense. The last game they played against the English was quite one-sided. I'm not sure (from an on-field perspective) what England has done to merit inclusion.

A 2nd tier 4 nations could include PNG, Fiji, Samoa and France. Pretty spicy in its own right.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

A 2nd tier 4 nations could include PNG, Fiji, Samoa and France. Pretty spicy in its own right.

It’s been 20 years since France played in that part of the World (without it being a World Cup). Do they have the finances to travel with the regularity you’re suggesting and finance trips to World Cup’s? 

5 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d just have England play in a 4 nations regardless, they should be playing high profile internationals every year no matter what hemisphere they are on. You improve by playing top teams.

Id love to see PNG become the 5th nation, but again they need regular internationals against good opponents 

I think all their movements towards this are in the right direction now. I think the game against GB was a good example of how far they've now come. I won't be surprised when they are 4th , perhaps even 3rd, in a decade's time.

6 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I think all their movements towards this are in the right direction now. I think the game against GB was a good example of how far they've now come. I won't be surprised when they are 4th , perhaps even 3rd, in a decade's time.

A real good example of how a strategy can really work. The improvements in Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc has proven a shot in the arm for the international game and subsequently Australia and New Zealand. England standing still (and that’s being kind) is a genuine worry, as these nations could well have the ability to overtake England in terms of ranking and onfield performances in the next 5-10 years. 

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s been 20 years since France played in that part of the World (without it being a World Cup). Do they have the finances to travel with the regularity you’re suggesting and finance trips to World Cup’s? 

I've not mentioned anything about regularity and I daresay that is as much to do with it being a damning indictment on the international scene. In particular France have been excluded from matches against the big boys from the onset of the 4 Nations, unless they happen to be in the Northern hemisphere where they may get the odd friendly or even be included once.

Prior to that they did tour the Southern hemisphere and lets face it outside of the 4 Nations England haven't played in the Southern hemisphere much more either. We either want an international scene or we don't and they aren't going to progress constantly playing Wales, Serbia and the like. I don't see any reason why touring once in a World Cup cycle isn't achievable.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've not mentioned anything about regularity and I daresay that is as much to do with it being a damning indictment on the international scene. In particular France have been excluded from matches against the big boys from the onset of the 4 Nations, unless they happen to be in the Northern hemisphere where they may get the odd friendly or even be included once.

Prior to that they did tour the Southern hemisphere and lets face it outside of the 4 Nations England haven't played in the Southern hemisphere much more either. We either want an international scene or we don't and they aren't going to progress constantly playing Wales, Serbia and the like. I don't see any reason why touring once in a World Cup cycle isn't achievable.

The 4 Nations, at the time, worked well, and should have been a springboard for a five and then six nations. Sadly, it wasn’t. 

Given they haven’t, I’m not sure the finances are there. Given the apathy shown towards the “lesser” nations, as they were for a long period, in the past ten plus years, the opportunity would have seemingly been there. Now, the door appears to be shut through the strategy of the Southern Hemisphere. 

On 20/02/2021 at 23:15, Smudger06 said:

Yeah Sorry mate. 

Those games should perhaps be staged in Cyprus or somewhere. 

Greece v Turkey would be a good one.   Play it in the Cypriot demilitarized zone.

But how many of these teams are one man and his dog?  Will the Maltese team still be in existence in April 2029?

Shouldn't we be more interested in seeing if the Gloucester All Golds can stay in existence first? Shouldn't we think more of a half decent strong French team before we worry about Rwanda?

Where does the money come from?  The referee's and touch judges?   Where do all the medical facilities, the concusion protocols come from?  

Archived