RFL & Super League to reunite

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Where are you getting that Sky have offered a 1 year deal for SL rights? I've seen you mention it a couple of times, but I don't think I have read it elsewhere...

I'm pretty sure I've seen that reported to be fair - the "prove themselves" thing too

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well Man of Kent raised it on this blog. January 31st.   So I have taken it from that.  30 million. I believe the comment was that SKY have the game on trial for 12 months. Happy to be corrected on that.

To be fair there were other rumours, but they I believe were before Christmas.  Again I am happy to be corrected if things have moved on, but if you and others are basing ideas and comments that are not aware of this then people need a wake up call.

Christmas!  That feels like a long time ago.

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen that reported to be fair - the "prove themselves" thing too

Doesn't that relate to this year? We negotiated 2021's contract down based on the effects of the pandemic. 

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

There is very little to be done without investment... but at is a dirty word for you.

The idea at 3 million would be saved by merging is a joke.   The notion that you would get something for nothing is risible.  The work of SL would still need to be managed.  Rimmer would get a pay rise and extra one or two deputies of some sort would be created and the talking shop extended, but leave the lawn untended so we can throw the ball into the longer grass.

Th truth is obviously hurting you.

He was an absolute disaster and if he was paid on performance he would be owing the game money

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Doesn't that relate to this year? We negotiated 2021's contract down based on the effects of the pandemic. 

Again I am not sure where you get that. Of the 40 million a year, I believe that approx 22 million went to SL clubs, but I am open to the exact number being confirmed. 

The point is that the SL made available the necessary matches in the season to meet the contract.  Other money went to the other clubs and SKY never wanted to screen any of those.  So for doing nothing ladt season the other clubs still got the balance of money. 

The Man of Kent specifically said 2022.  'Damien' suggested SKY want changes to improve the product.  I would suggest that going back to Rimmer and crew taking over and spreading the money around down a bottomless pit is hardly going to inspire SKY.

But the Total Rugby article seems to be saying that Rimmer and RLF want to renegotiate an agreement which will spread our the income to everyone else and leave no power or responsibility to SL which is the only money making part of the game. 

17 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Again I am not sure where you get that. Of the 40 million a year, I believe that approx 22 million went to SL clubs, but I am open to the exact number being confirmed. 

The point is that the SL made available the necessary matches in the season to meet the contract.  Other money went to the other clubs and SKY never wanted to screen any of those.  So for doing nothing ladt season the other clubs still got the balance of money. 

The Man of Kent specifically said 2022.  'Damien' suggested SKY want changes to improve the product.  I would suggest that going back to Rimmer and crew taking over and spreading the money around down a bottomless pit is hardly going to inspire SKY.

But the Total Rugby article seems to be saying that Rimmer and RLF want to renegotiate an agreement which will spread our the income to everyone else and leave no power or responsibility to SL which is the only money making part of the game. 

I haven't seen this post you are referring to. 

Edit: found it.

There is nothing that confirms it is a one-year deal, the article just states £28-30m in 2022. Apparently Phil Caplan suggested that Sky want SL to prove themselves and the forum ran with that idea. 

But so far, according to the media, we were getting a £30m per year for a multi year deal, then we were getting £20m per year - and now we are looking at up to £30m for a one year deal. I think it's clear that there is some guesswork going on here. 

On your numbers, the £22m may be what the SL clubs get allocated (it's actually a touch over £23m, but pretty accurate), but SLE gets over £27m to cover other costs. We then have c£3.5m per year of Sky Try of which SL club foundations get a lot of that - I assume that comes via the RFL. I'm not sure how the RFL costs are paid, whether SLE pays them out of the £27m or if that is also additional.

But in summary, SLE is getting around £30m of the deal, probably more. I'm not saying that is enough, but it isn't just the £22m. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I haven't seen this post you are referring to. 

Edit: found it.

There is nothing that confirms it is a one-year deal, the article just states £28-30m in 2022. Apparently Phil Caplan suggested that Sky want SL to prove themselves and the forum ran with that idea. 

But so far, according to the media, we were getting a £30m per year for a multi year deal, then we were getting £20m per year - and now we are looking at up to £30m for a one year deal. I think it's clear that there is some guesswork going on here. 

On your numbers, the £22m may be what the SL clubs get allocated (it's actually a touch over £23m, but pretty accurate), but SLE gets over £27m to cover other costs. We then have c£3.5m per year of Sky Try of which SL club foundations get a lot of that - I assume that comes via the RFL. I'm not sure how the RFL costs are paid, whether SLE pays them out of the £27m or if that is also additional.

But in summary, SLE is getting around £30m of the deal, probably more. I'm not saying that is enough, but it isn't just the £22m. 

So it's ok to just run with this "unite" idea, taking this as gospel, but ignoring the offer or agreement that seems to be made?  

Come 2022 SL clubs will do well out of a 28 - 30 million deal.  If that was Elstones job he did a good one.  It would be a good deal for SKY as the extra 10 - 12 million was a waste from their point of view.   

This leak of ideas about 'unity' is convenient and carefully phrased and mouthpieced uncritically.  Its a nice bit of kite flying.  I wonder who it is that's wafting it in the breeze.

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Prove themselves isn't a direct or indirect quote from Sky.

it's an RL writer's opinion.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

So it's ok to just run with this "unite" idea, taking this as gospel, but ignoring the offer or agreement that seems to be made?  

Come 2022 SL clubs will do well out of a 28 - 30 million deal.  If that was Elstones job he did a good one.  It would be a good deal for SKY as the extra 10 - 12 million was a waste from their point of view.   

This leak of ideas about 'unity' is convenient and carefully phrased and mouthpieced uncritically.  Its a nice bit of kite flying.  I wonder who it is that's wafting it in the breeze.

I'm not interested in what's a good deal for Sky. Other sports route % of their TV deal towards parts of the game outside of the top comp, and I expect RL will continue to do so. 

It is dangerous to believe that there is no benefits from the game outside of SL IMHO. 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not interested in what's a good deal for Sky. Other sports route % of their TV deal towards parts of the game outside of the top comp, and I expect RL will continue to do so. 

It is dangerous to believe that there is no benefits from the game outside of SL IMHO. 

Yes ... we need to channel money to youth development.  Create and sustain the amateur game.  And of course the coming idea is womens rugby.

Archived