Jump to content

Fumbleball again showing it's fear of Rugby League


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw a photo this morning of Lleyton Hewitt with his son Cruz, who had just won the national clay court championship.  Now as I understand it, Hewitt comes from a fumbleball background - played the g

These are the respective Thursday night Fox ratings - NRL 273k, AFL 243k. The AFL figure is surprisingly low for an opening night unless I`m missing something. The corresponding figure for last w

Takes some balls to squeeze into those shorts. - AFL tough nuts.

Posted Images

These are the respective Thursday night Fox ratings - NRL 273k, AFL 243k.

The AFL figure is surprisingly low for an opening night unless I`m missing something. The corresponding figure for last week`s NRL opening night was 335k.

It`s a different story on FTA. I`m no media expert, but two things seem clear. First, Fox need NRL more than they need AFL. So it`s likely that whatever they`re paying it`s probably not enough to the NRL and too much to the AFL.

Second, some significant change needs to happen with the NRL`s next FTA deal. Nine should have to seriously up their game (by signing Vossy for instance, or improving their general promotion across the channel) if they want to keep exclusive FTA coverage.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

These are the respective Thursday night Fox ratings - NRL 273k, AFL 243k.

The AFL figure is surprisingly low for an opening night unless I`m missing something. The corresponding figure for last week`s NRL opening night was 335k.

It`s a different story on FTA. I`m no media expert, but two things seem clear. First, Fox need NRL more than they need AFL. So it`s likely that whatever they`re paying it`s probably not enough to the NRL and too much to the AFL.

Second, some significant change needs to happen with the NRL`s next FTA deal. Nine should have to seriously up their game (by signing Vossy for instance, or improving their general promotion across the channel) if they want to keep exclusive FTA coverage.

I`m seriously starting to wonder if channel 9 by making half-hearted attempts to promote League ( yet simultaneously flogging a dead horse w/ union) are, when League ratings figures falter, going to use this as a bargaining chip in the upcoming negotiations, i.e. League s not rating so well  on FTA so why should we pay more or even the same. I wouldn`t trust those bastards as far as I could throw them. Lest we forget that in 2018 and 2019 NRL outrated afl for the first time in about 6 years.

Over on Foxtel the Storm/Rabbitohs match averaged 487 000  viewers across all platforms and round one matches averaged 372 000, its` second highest average ever.

Incredibly last Saturday Fox Leagues Panthers v. Cowboys match made the top 20 metros most watched program of the day sharing that position with 19 other FTA programmes.

Apparently V`landy`s went to 9's HQ to complain about the lack of NRL promotion, but don`t worry V`landy's gives as good as he gets as it was he who scuttled the deal between Sky Tv and Stan, blocking Stan`s broadcasting of union into clubs and pubs around Oz, sources close to those negotiations say that impasse could drag on for a long time.

V`landy`s reveled his thinking on the situation the other day when he said that Foxtel was Leagues bread and butter providing 60 % of broadcast revenue and that FTA was all about `eyeballs`.

This is the great bind that League finds itself in, Fox Sorts would pay a motza for exclusive rights however with only 30% of the population having Pay TV  the sport can not afford not at least offering the opportunity of the other 70 % of the population of watching it.

The other issue is of course is the 150 000+ FTA viewers afl takes out of Perth and Adelaide every week, not to mention the mental viewing figures out of Melbourne, 442 000, for last weeks opening round, their ###### nuts down there. Until we can get a team in Perth and give them something to genuinely tune in for it`s going to be hard to up the ante on 9 too much. Growth in Melbourne`s viewing figures is a slow and steady race.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

This article was in response to another article that covered an interview(s) that V`landy`s did this week bagging out afl.

Look I think it`s great, for way too long afl has a free ride in this country with no one really taking a critical look at it, meanwhile it has been spending 100`s of millions of dollars infiltrating League heartlands. Some times I think League players and fans are just a little bit too `manly` to get into the degrading behaviour of bagging another game out. But you know what people are like sheep and unless you point out to them that what they are actually watching is ridiculous they will never think it for themselves, they will just blindly watch what ever is served up on tv.

V`landy`s has been not so subtly undermining afl by comparing it to being a vegetarian, League fans like meat, or Abba fans where as League fans like AC/DC. The point he is making is that despite afl making claims of being a `hard` game it really is played by a lot of little fairies, look at that prat Toby Greene from GWS, they market him as a ` firebrand` or a `hardman`, honestly it`s laughable, he`s a hair pulling snot nosed little n0nce who pushes a few blokes in the back when they are not looking.

We`re in a code war with the afl and League has to play to its` strengths and one of its main strengths, apart from the speed and skill, is that it is genuinely an extraordinarily tough game played by blokes that generally don`t dive or fake injuries, who get smashed in tackle after tackle and keep getting up and playing on, afl have the occasional bump or collision but it nothing like as tough as League and V`landy`s is letting everyone know that far and wide so when people look at that game and then look at ours they will know who is the real deal.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting thing about tv ratings is the almost snail pace conversion of the whole ratings system. 

The set top box method is outdated & the technology is there for it to be replaced by digital technology that is in place in just about every tv out there. 

The question is why the recitence in keeping this flawed rating system when they can virtually access the results of who is watching what in about 90 % of households?

Why does the NRL virtually outrate the AFL on platforms like foxsports, kayo etc where this digital reading of who view what already exists but not on fta? 

Surely when we are told AFL fans are 'wealthier' & watch the game in 'greater' numbers blah blah, they are suddenly beaten in the more 'expensive' realm of 'pay' tv & ultimately more accurate method of ratings measurement?

I think there is a good reason to drag the knuckles on tv ratings measurement for fta when it favors a certain narrative. 

 

 

Edited by Heritage XIII
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

Why does the NRL virtually outrate the AFL on platforms like foxsports, kayo etc where this digital reading of who view what already exists but not on fta? 

Surely when we are told AFL fans are 'wealthier' & watch the game in 'greater' numbers blah blah, they are suddenly beaten in the more 'expensive' realm of 'pay' tv & ultimately more accurate method of ratings measurement?

According to posters on Aussie RL forums part of the explanation is the many more populous centres in NRL heartlands compared with AFL heartlands. Even when regionals are added to the 5-metro FTA figures, there`ll still be a lot going uncounted in all the cities and towns in NSW and QLD outside the State capitals.

As you say, the digital platform ratings are the only truly reliable figures since they detect all viewers wherever they`re watching from in Aus.

The latest Fox figures from Friday are NRL 234k and 196k - AFL 190k. Like Thursday, the AFL figure is puzzlingly low. Are they being disproportionately affected by streaming, or have some AFL fans opted not to renew and settle for 3 FTA games a week?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

V`landy`s reveled his thinking on the situation the other day when he said that Foxtel was Leagues bread and butter providing 60 % of broadcast revenue and that FTA was all about `eyeballs`.

This is the great bind that League finds itself in, Fox Sorts would pay a motza for exclusive rights however with only 30% of the population having Pay TV  the sport can not afford not at least offering the opportunity of the other 70 % of the population of watching it.

If we think about it, it`s quite a feat to persuade large numbers to pay a subscription for 8 games a week when 3 of those are available free. You`ve mentioned elsewhere there`s only so much RL any of us can enjoy, however keen we are.

The big 3 American tech giants make vast sums from advertising rather than subscriptions. So, although FTA TV might be in decline, that indirect model of funding isn`t.

I`ve been trying to make sense of Kayo. They have a mix of pay and freebies. The PNG Hunters game was a freebie this morning, but apparently you can`t sign up from the UK. I was interested to know whether their freebies carried advertising.

The games I see on NSW RL and QLD RL platforms do have a fair bit of advertising. This cut-out-the-middle-men model could be increasingly lucrative in areas where there`s a solid audience. Where interest is yet to be built, or needs maintenance, FTA remains vital.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2021 at 20:11, unapologetic pedant said:

it`s quite a feat to persuade large numbers to pay a subscription for 8 games a week when 3 of those are available free. You`ve mentioned elsewhere there`s only so much RL any of us can enjoy, however keen we are.

 

On 20/03/2021 at 19:29, unapologetic pedant said:

Like Thursday, the AFL figure is puzzlingly low. Are they being disproportionately affected by streaming, or have some AFL fans opted not to renew and settle for 3 FTA games a week?

The partial answer to this may be that the afl have an arrangement with Ch7 that States outside of Victoria, get a live broadcast of their local team every weekend, so no matter what the broadcast game is in Victoria, the other states are guaranteed to be able to see their team on FTA. So this means 8 teams( SAx2, WAx2, NSWx2, Qldx2) don`t have to get Pay to see their team. Actually not so sure about SA.

That would be the League equivalent of Melbourne being on FTA every weekend beamed in to Victoria likewise the Queensland teams into QLD. I believe this is an arrangement that Ch7 have with the afl to ensure that fans of those expansion teams can see their team on tv every week. Smart move.

But to give you rough idea of how mental afl fans are, saturdays game between Sydney swans and Brisbane lions had 61 and 71 thousand viewers FTA respectively yet pulled 244 000 in Melbourne. 

 

With regard your question on the other thread `lost` means `missing presumed drowned` and your right it always seems to be  too wet or too dry over here, no thanks to the media who propagate this myth of the dinkum Aussie battler doing it tough on the land feeding the city slickers. It`s a joke really because I`ve had people say it to me about how tough farming is and there`s no money in it  but since we`ve been backup here most of the farmers I know are doing alright.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

 

The partial answer to this may be that the afl have an arrangement with Ch7 that States outside of Victoria, get a live broadcast of their local team every weekend, so no matter what the broadcast game is in Victoria, the other states are guaranteed to be able to see their team on FTA. So this means 8 teams( SAx2, WAx2, NSWx2, Qldx2) don`t have to get Pay to see their team.

All that makes sense, but why would the numbers be falling? If AFL fans have a Fox subscription, they`ll surely watch their team on there rather than FTA. Unless there`s a similar, but vice versa, gap in quality of coverage between pay and subscription as NRL.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

But to give you rough idea of how mental afl fans are, saturdays game between Sydney swans and Brisbane lions had 61 and 71 thousand viewers FTA respectively yet pulled 244 000 in Melbourne. 

There does appear to be a literally insatiable appetite for fumbling in Melbourne. Assuming it`s of their own volition. They might be like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange" - drugged and strapped in, with their eyes held open with matchsticks.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2021 at 00:32, The Rocket said:

afl have the occasional bump or collision but it nothing like as tough as League and V`landy`s is letting everyone know that far and wide so when people look at that game and then look at ours they will know who is the real deal.

 

On 19/03/2021 at 19:55, The Future is League said:

Saw an interesting on-line news article to day with a clip from one of the afl footy shows, the headline read something like `too much cuddling , hugging and kissing in afl `it showed a bunch of afl `analysts` discussing that the game had gone soft. This is exactly what V`landy`s is hoping to achieve with his snipes at afls` supposed toughness.

With V`landy`s bringing it up publicly two days ago the afl have immediately gone into a panic and the issue is being discussed on their panel discussion shows, he`s a smart operator and he knows if you plant that seed of doubt people will start to look for it and then you can get that situation where the game can start to cop ridicule.

This is exactly the sort of thing that is needed to shake existing afl fans out of their torpor and to convince potential new afl fans or fence sitters what a ridiculous game it is and to stop them from blindly going over.

Even though soccer has huge participation numbers in this country it is largely marginalised as a game played by foreigners and softies, who roll around in agony at the slightest knock, it`s good for a bit of exercise if you don`t want to get hurt, I think it would be smart tactics for League to try and pigeon-hole afl the same way. Bit like NFL in the US, there are other sports but the NFL is the real deal. 

Two other things I saw them discussing was `ruck craft` and the finer points of the  `bounce`. Grown men sitting there with straight faces taking that game so seriously, it`s embarrassing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2021 at 13:53, The Rocket said:

 

Saw an interesting on-line news article to day with a clip from one of the afl footy shows, the headline read something like `too much cuddling , hugging and kissing in afl `it showed a bunch of afl `analysts` discussing that the game had gone soft. This is exactly what V`landy`s is hoping to achieve with his snipes at afls` supposed toughness.

With the way the AFL have managed to enshrine their game as Australia`s game, V`landy`s has a fine line to tread preventing his comments being seen as sacrilegious, or himself as personally truculent, protesting too much.

There`s also the long-standing peril of restricting the appeal of RL with over-emphasis on toughness. Akin to the lazy, misleading "simple game" promotion. Would anyone need more than a cursory glance to realise RL is tough? If you were selling a product which had an obvious side and a less obvious side, you would surely spend the bulk of your advertising budget on the latter to reach more customers.

On 21/03/2021 at 13:53, The Rocket said:

 and the finer points of the  `bounce`. 

However hard I try, I still cannot see AFL in anything other than Keystone cops terms. One of my favourite LOL moments is the "Bounce". Even funnier is when the umpire stands on the boundary and flings the ball over his head. He looks like he`s trying to take off or do a back-flip.

Given that Ireland is the only other country where people wouldn`t instinctively chuckle at AFL, it`s surprising it isn`t a staple of NRL-sympathetic comedy. Perhaps people are fearful of alienating too high a proportion of their potential audience. The only thing I`ve seen was "Beau knows AFL" on the old Footy Show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2021 at 10:19, The Rocket said:

With regard your question on the other thread `lost` means `missing presumed drowned` and your right it always seems to be  too wet or too dry over here

I`ve been watching news clips of the flooding. One was of a house floating down the Manning river. If complete herds are being swept away, add the mice plague, and the whole scene looks to be of biblical proportions. - Awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There`s also the long-standing peril of restricting the appeal of RL with over-emphasis on toughness.

There`s nothing worse in this country, especially in team sport, that to be considered effete, Aussies insist that their sportsman be tough. If you listen to afl commentary they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time emphasising how tough their sport is, even women`s afl.

I watched a bit of the afl the other day and words like `ferocious` and `brutal` come up in a manner that you don`t hear in League, it`s almost as if they are `protesting too much`.

V`landy`s is playing on that fear of being seen as anything but manly and inviting the sort of ridicule you suggest. He has obviously hit a nerve, I read comments in yesterdays paper describing afl under the most recent rules changes as being `bruise-free sport` and ` no-tackle afl`.

My goal if I was the NRL would be to make afl the lightweight alternative to League, bit like what soccer is over here as well, most popular participation sport by far but few take it or its participants seriously. Afl is unlikely to go away, so although League may be the minority participation sport we have to market it as the sport of real toughness. That may sound over the top, but as I said it`s important in Australia, it`s Leagues strength and we have to play to it. I`m not suggesting a return to dirty play mind you.

As far as skill goes, anyone who watches a game of League can be left in no doubt of the skill involved, Parras interchange passing on the weekend in the wet and the Roosters taking the Tigers apart are cases in point.

BTW I love that backward fling of the ball over the head in afl as well, why they have to fling the thing so hard is beyond me, does it make any difference if it goes 10 feet in the air or 20 ? And the whole idea of facing backwards when they do it, what is that meant to suggest, absolute impartiality ? it`s so funny.

 The mouse plague is out west, although we did have a mouse in the house last night, it was watching me watching the telly, wife wasn`t happy, ones o.k , poor ###### just come inside cause it`s so wet outside. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2021 at 22:23, The Rocket said:

 Aussies insist that their sportsman be tough. 

Is this true of all demographics in 2021 - Both sexes, all ages, first and second generation migrants?

In life generally we know people can see the same thing in very different ways. Portrayals which encourage varied ways of seeing are likely to reach the widest audience.

If toughness is the primary sporting criterion for all Aussies, those multitudes of Victorians must be under a transcendent misapprehension when they choose AFL over NRL. And why would so relatively few Sydneysiders attend NRL games when RL is remorselessly promoted as the final word in brutality? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2021 at 05:18, unapologetic pedant said:

And why would so relatively few Sydneysiders attend NRL games when RL is remorselessly promoted as the final word in brutality? 

I read an article a while back about relative crowd sizes of the different sports around the world, the NRL averaging 15 - 16 thousand compared very well with nations of much larger populations like Italy, France et al. Even the USA with 340 000 000 puts the large crowds they get at the NFL into perspective. afl is an outlier and as they like to crow have one of the highest per capita crowd figures in the world. This feeds into their belief that their game is somehow special and gives them the confidence to believe they are destined to take over the whole of Australia. I think there is something of the siege mentality about afl supporters, and like I think you have mentioned they have cleverly marketed themselves as the national game. Some how we have to undermine that confidence.

So how do we go about it ? My comments above were based on ridiculing the `toughness` that afl claims to have cornered the market in, that probably reflects my own personal prejudices. I suppose we have to be merciless in pointing out other aspects of their game to invite the same ridicule, but I think we have to do it, supposed national game or not, it has had a free ride for too long. 

One other area that we might exploit is if we can ever get to the stage of having a decent international calendar with games played around the country, most Aussies would go and see the national team in a major sport, this would be another opportunity to invite invidious comparisons between the codes.

I know this may seem obsessive but we are in a code war down here and everything is on the table as far as I am concerned and afl is going to prove a tough nut too crack.

Couple of good headlines during the week though Adidas have ended their sponsorship of afl claiming it is `too niche` ouch ! and world boxing title contender Tim Tszyu, son of legendary Australian boxer Kosta, came out in the media and said he had never heard of  afl superstar Dustin Martin and has no interest in that game. These sort of headlines hurt. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2021 at 15:29, The Rocket said:

 I think there is something of the siege mentality about afl supporters, and like I think you have mentioned they have cleverly marketed themselves as the national game. Some how we have to undermine that confidence.

 I suppose we have to be merciless in pointing out other aspects of their game to invite the same ridicule, but I think we have to do it, supposed national game or not, it has had a free ride for too long. 

I`ll give you my amateur psychological/sociological analysis.

Both AFL and NRL could be susceptible to the thought, "if our game is so good, why is it not more popular worldwide?"

I think the main reason why the AFL constituency is more self-confident and less prone to an inferiority complex is because they include more of the affluent, privately-educated stratum of their heartlands. Whereas the equivalent in NRL heartlands inclines ostensibly towards a similar rival game.

If that`s a valid appraisal, then AFL hubris is internal and detached from the game on the field. Just as well since most of the global population, fairly or unfairly, would react with laughter and bewilderment upon seeing it. Even the attire is hard to look at without tittering.

BTW, part of the explanation why I and the rest of the world find the appeal of AFL perplexing is because Soccer is the game we are familiar with that involves kicking a ball into a goal as its celebrated end product. We see an AFL player boot the ball into an unguarded much larger goal area and think "so what". We`d be similarly unimpressed if we saw a Soccer game where the goal was widened, the goalkeepers were removed, and the score finished something like 17-15.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2021 at 10:15, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ll give you my amateur psychological/sociological analysis.

Both AFL and NRL could be susceptible to the thought, "if our game is so good, why is it not more popular worldwide?"

I think the main reason why the AFL constituency is more self-confident and less prone to an inferiority complex is because they include more of the affluent, privately-educated stratum of their heartlands. Whereas the equivalent in NRL heartlands inclines ostensibly towards a similar rival game.

If that`s a valid appraisal, then AFL hubris is internal and detached from the game on the field. Just as well since most of the global population, fairly or unfairly, would react with laughter and bewilderment upon seeing it. Even the attire is hard to look at without tittering.

BTW, part of the explanation why I and the rest of the world find the appeal of AFL perplexing is because Soccer is the game we are familiar with that involves kicking a ball into a goal as its celebrated end product. We see an AFL player boot the ball into an unguarded much larger goal area and think "so what". We`d be similarly unimpressed if we saw a Soccer game where the goal was widened, the goalkeepers were removed, and the score finished something like 17-15.

Lets also not forget that get a point for missing a goal in fumbleball. No other sport i knows rewards failure

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2021 at 00:32, The Rocket said:

This article was in response to another article that covered an interview(s) that V`landy`s did this week bagging out afl.

Look I think it`s great, for way too long afl has a free ride in this country with no one really taking a critical look at it, meanwhile it has been spending 100`s of millions of dollars infiltrating League heartlands. Some times I think League players and fans are just a little bit too `manly` to get into the degrading behaviour of bagging another game out. But you know what people are like sheep and unless you point out to them that what they are actually watching is ridiculous they will never think it for themselves, they will just blindly watch what ever is served up on tv.

V`landy`s has been not so subtly undermining afl by comparing it to being a vegetarian, League fans like meat, or Abba fans where as League fans like AC/DC. The point he is making is that despite afl making claims of being a `hard` game it really is played by a lot of little fairies, look at that prat Toby Greene from GWS, they market him as a ` firebrand` or a `hardman`, honestly it`s laughable, he`s a hair pulling snot nosed little n0nce who pushes a few blokes in the back when they are not looking.

We`re in a code war with the afl and League has to play to its` strengths and one of its main strengths, apart from the speed and skill, is that it is genuinely an extraordinarily tough game played by blokes that generally don`t dive or fake injuries, who get smashed in tackle after tackle and keep getting up and playing on, afl have the occasional bump or collision but it nothing like as tough as League and V`landy`s is letting everyone know that far and wide so when people look at that game and then look at ours they will know who is the real deal.

I hope Perth is next NRL club after Brisbane 2, which seems nailed on to me for the next NRL club

Edited by The Future is League
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets also not forget that get a point for missing a goal in fumbleball. No other sport i knows rewards failure

I`m not conversant with AFL rules so the following is based on surmise.-

There must be a scenario where scores are level and the last kick of the game is a behind. So the winning team dramatically triumph with a miss. "Golden Point" in Aussie Rules could be "Golden Miss". Rather neatly epitomises the absurdity of the whole shebang.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m not conversant with AFL rules so the following is based on surmise.-

There must be a scenario where scores are level and the last kick of the game is a behind. So the winning team dramatically triumph with a miss. "Golden Point" in Aussie Rules could be "Golden Miss". Rather neatly epitomises the absurdity of the whole shebang.

In fumbleball you get rewarded for misses throughout the game

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to say it’s a classy response from McLachlan (which it is), but that would suggest he’s somehow doing something out of the ordinary. His response is what you would expect from any CEO of a professional organisation. That NRL fella comes across as an uncouth meathead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2021 at 13:32, The Rocket said:

This article was in response to another article that covered an interview(s) that V`landy`s did this week bagging out afl.

Look I think it`s great, for way too long afl has a free ride in this country with no one really taking a critical look at it, meanwhile it has been spending 100`s of millions of dollars infiltrating League heartlands. Some times I think League players and fans are just a little bit too `manly` to get into the degrading behaviour of bagging another game out. But you know what people are like sheep and unless you point out to them that what they are actually watching is ridiculous they will never think it for themselves, they will just blindly watch what ever is served up on tv.

V`landy`s has been not so subtly undermining afl by comparing it to being a vegetarian, League fans like meat, or Abba fans where as League fans like AC/DC. The point he is making is that despite afl making claims of being a `hard` game it really is played by a lot of little fairies, look at that prat Toby Greene from GWS, they market him as a ` firebrand` or a `hardman`, honestly it`s laughable, he`s a hair pulling snot nosed little n0nce who pushes a few blokes in the back when they are not looking.

We`re in a code war with the afl and League has to play to its` strengths and one of its main strengths, apart from the speed and skill, is that it is genuinely an extraordinarily tough game played by blokes that generally don`t dive or fake injuries, who get smashed in tackle after tackle and keep getting up and playing on, afl have the occasional bump or collision but it nothing like as tough as League and V`landy`s is letting everyone know that far and wide so when people look at that game and then look at ours they will know who is the real deal.

AFL “really is played by a lot of little fairies”

RL is “an extraordinarily tough game played by blokes that generally don`t dive or fake injuries, who get smashed in tackle after tackle and keep getting up and playing on”

Is your 1970s/80s meathead view the norm? 

Any word on the domestic violence issue in Aussie rugby league?

”Hard” men eh? 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/22/rugby-league-has-a-domestic-violence-problem-the-nrls-lip-service-wont-fix-it

I had no idea Inglis was another hard man who beats up women. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DC77 said:

AFL “really is played by a lot of little fairies”

RL is “an extraordinarily tough game played by blokes that generally don`t dive or fake injuries, who get smashed in tackle after tackle and keep getting up and playing on”

Is your 1970s/80s meathead view the norm? 

It`s a funny little game where the crowd roars everytime there is contact, and the commentators gush using expressions like `ferocious`, `brutal` and `the hard game just got harder` so it`s got nothing to do with meat head meathead, it`s just I`m not in to something that pretends to be what it isn`t.

And that bullshite about League having a domestic violence problem is just that, if your stupid enough or biased enough to be prepared to label a whole code because of the action of maybe a dozen blokes out of literally 10`s and 10`s of thousands of Rugby League players then more fool you. You`re not thinking it through. And like the shrill headline seeking fools in the media I hope that you are proud of yourself labelling the tens of thousands of ordinary blokes, many just ordinary country blokes, I`ve met many, who go home to their family every day and don`t beat up anyone.

 

The only way a sporting code can show a true sign of respect towards women in these situations, to really lead in this space, is to stand down a player facing a serious charge.

The NRL are the only football code in this country that get this issue and show victims (who are mostly women) this level of respect.

Then again, the code is being run by two very progressive administrators — chair Peter V’Landys and CEO Andrew Abdo — backed by a commission with a serious understanding of issues involving violence and women. They are not all talk, they take action.

The NRL’S no-fault stand down policy stops players charged with serious crimes involving women or children taking the field. That’s respect.

From Chief Sports writer for The Australian Jessica Halloran. Written last week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

TV ratings... I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

It’s not about the number of of eyeballs watching each match in a weekend, it’s all about how many sets of eyeballs have watched all games on a weekend. 

NRL may have higher ratings, but the AFL have more viewers. It’s simple really.

Edited by Sports Prophet
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...