Match Thread: Challenge Cup Second Round, Featherstone Rovers v Batley Saturday-27th-March-2021

marklaspalmas

It'll be three games in four weeks then at home to Batley. First the friendly, now the Cup tie, then the first leahue game of the season Good Friday.

A decent hit out against Bradford, and I guess the main question for Saturday is: Which, if any, of the players who missed the Bradford match will come into the 17?

Ferres still injured, Sherlock hopefully back, Davies available, Field available, Moors waiting on the visa, Welham available.

Of the 17, Ferguson looks to be injured, groin strain. A couple of incidents on report. Not sure what's going on with Blackmore.

So some changes for sure.

How to watch the game is another thread started by TPH

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lingard reckons Batley improved "across the board" from their performance against us when they played Halifax https://www.batleynews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/craig-lingard-hails-improvement-from-batley-bulldogs-as-they-set-up-challenge-cup-clash-with-featherstone-rovers-3174542

Might be a closer game this time, they are slowly starting to get their injured players back. I'd like to think we will still be too strong for them but it's difficult to make a guess at our 17 at this stage for the reasons Mark outlines in the first post.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Lingard reckons Batley improved "across the board" from their performance against us when they played Halifax

to be fair he'd got to say that I watched the game and  they only won 19 6 but halifax were poor  and gifted batley their three tries 

4 hours ago, POR said:

to be fair he'd got to say that I watched the game and  they only won 19 6 but halifax were poor  and gifted batley their three tries 

Of course he has, but it's true! The pack, which was dominated by you lot last time were much more effective. Not sure the tries were gifted either but I suppose that's all opinion! Of course none of that means we will beat you on Saturday.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Lingard reckons Batley improved "across the board" from their performance against us when they played Halifax https://www.batleynews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/craig-lingard-hails-improvement-from-batley-bulldogs-as-they-set-up-challenge-cup-clash-with-featherstone-rovers-3174542

Might be a closer game this time, they are slowly starting to get their injured players back. I'd like to think we will still be too strong for them but it's difficult to make a guess at our 17 at this stage for the reasons Mark outlines in the first post.

None of the injured back for Saturday. Brown, Bowman, Manning and Reittie still out.

12 hours ago, distantdog said:

None of the injured back for Saturday. Brown, Bowman, Manning and Reittie still out.

Thanks for that.

After last season, Webbo said that despite playing 6 games he still didn't really have a handle on exactly how good we are, after a badly disrupted pre-season and then a few games played in muddy conditions.

It might be the same this year; the teams we have played so far have either been injury-hit, looked desperately rusty post-Covid, or both. Interesting to see how much better Batley are this weekend, but we have two home games in a row against them now, followed by a trip to Swinton (which is rarely easy) then a home game against Whitehaven.

It seems clear that we should be one of the stronger teams in the division, but with our away game against Toulouse postponed, we might not find out where we stand in relation to potential promotion rivals until we travel to York on May 9th.

An initial 18-man squad has been named with three more names to follow by 5pm Friday. Presumably waiting either on Moors' visa, or more likely on fitness tests for some of the ones who have been out through injury/Covid (Fergie, Holmes, Davies, Welham).

Ferres is back in the squad so is presumably on schedule to play his first game of the season. No real surprises elsewhere whilst we wait for tomorrow's update.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Thanks for that.

After last season, Webbo said that despite playing 6 games he still didn't really have a handle on exactly how good we are, after a badly disrupted pre-season and then a few games played in muddy conditions.

It might be the same this year; the teams we have played so far have either been injury-hit, looked desperately rusty post-Covid, or both. Interesting to see how much better Batley are this weekend, but we have two home games in a row against them now, followed by a trip to Swinton (which is rarely easy) then a home game against Whitehaven.

It seems clear that we should be one of the stronger teams in the division, but with our away game against Toulouse postponed, we might not find out where we stand in relation to potential promotion rivals until we travel to York on May 9th.

After last season, Webbo said that despite playing 6 games he still didn't really have a handle on exactly how good we are,

It might be the same this year;    quite possibly but he must be pleased with fitness shown

the teams we have played so far have either

been injury-hit  so have we!!!!!!!

looked desperately rusty post-Covid, but that's no excuse we'ave gone through the same but a lot of the time  looked like we'ave never been away

20 minutes ago, POR said:

After last season, Webbo said that despite playing 6 games he still didn't really have a handle on exactly how good we are,

It might be the same this year;    quite possibly but he must be pleased with fitness shown

the teams we have played so far have either

been injury-hit  so have we!!!!!!!

looked desperately rusty post-Covid, but that's no excuse we'ave gone through the same but a lot of the time  looked like we'ave never been away

Think you've missed the point I was trying to make. I'm sure Webster will be happy with how we've started, but we haven't had a proper test yet, and us losing four of our players to injury isn't anywhere near as much of a setback to us as it is to Bradford or Batley because we have players who would start at most Championship clubs to bring in (Minns, Cooper, Bussey, Halton etc).

As Webster himself said after Sunday, " It wasn’t that we continually broke Bradford down, we just had some players who could break a tackle and come up with some plays." It's been a really good start but some of our tries have come against desperately weak tackling that you wouldn't normally see at this level, that's why I said we might not know where we stand in comparison with our likely promotion rivals (which in my opinion is probably just Toulouse, Covid permitting, and York) for a few more games yet.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think you've missed the point I was trying to make. I'm sure Webster will be happy with how we've started, but we haven't had a proper test yet, and us losing four of our players to injury isn't anywhere near as much of a setback to us as it is to Bradford or Batley because we have players who would start at most Championship clubs to bring in (Minns, Cooper, Bussey, Halton etc).

As Webster himself said after Sunday, " It wasn’t that we continually broke Bradford down, we just had some players who could break a tackle and come up with some plays." It's been a really good start but some of our tries have come against desperately weak tackling that you wouldn't normally see at this level, that's why I said we might not know where we stand in comparison with our likely promotion rivals (which in my opinion is probably just Toulouse, Covid permitting, and York) for a few more games yet.

Bradford or Batley because we have players who would start at most Championship clubs to bring in (Minns, Cooper, Bussey, Halton etc). I wholeheartedly agree with you  with the squad we got even the young lads that have played we'ave got  players all over the park that could get into any team in the league

some of our tries have come against desperately weak tackling that you wouldn't normally see at this level, agreed but the poor tackling was down to our domination  and the pressure we put their  defence in

said we might not know where we stand in comparison with our likely promotion rivals (which in my opinion is probably just Toulouse agreed don't know about toulouse cos not seen them play but watched york  and they were no better than last year 

6 minutes ago, POR said:

said we might not know where we stand in comparison with our likely promotion rivals (which in my opinion is probably just Toulouse agreed don't know about toulouse cos not seen them play but watched york  and they were no better than last year 

I watched York and they look much stronger than last year (when they lost every game), because they have brought better players in. Jones-Bishop, Atkins, and O'Hagan look big upgrades on who they had last year, and they still have Cuthbertson to come in. The speed of their game was quick compared to those we have been involved in (albeit on a faster track), again it's hard to predict exactly how strong they will be but at this stage they look to be our biggest British rivals in the division.

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I watched York and they look much stronger than last year (when they lost every game), because they have brought better players in. Jones-Bishop, Atkins, and O'Hagan look big upgrades on who they had last year, and they still have Cuthbertson to come in. The speed of their game was quick compared to those we have been involved in (albeit on a faster track), again it's hard to predict exactly how strong they will be but at this stage they look to be our biggest British rivals in the division.

, because they have brought better players in. I agree but I think we'ave brought in better ones and I think you misunderstood me I didn't say they were no good I meant they played like york the york we all know and love   I thought  they didn't do any thing we haven't seen from them  before 

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-squad-named-for-batley-tie-Q3PfR

"Tom Holmes still misses out due to a knock but is expected to be available for selection in the near future. Kris Welham is hoping to receive clearance on return to play protocols, John Davies will be assessed after suffering a head injury and the club is still awaiting VISA clearance on Junior Moors, which is due to be confirmed as soon as possible."

So sounds like a definite no for Holmes and Welham, Davies and Moors the three who we're holding fire on until tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-squad-named-for-batley-tie-Q3PfR

"Tom Holmes still misses out due to a knock but is expected to be available for selection in the near future. Kris Welham is hoping to receive clearance on return to play protocols, John Davies will be assessed after suffering a head injury and the club is still awaiting VISA clearance on Junior Moors, which is due to be confirmed as soon as possible."

So sounds like a definite no for Holmes and Welham, Davies and Moors the three who we're holding fire on until tomorrow.

😄  😄

I read that as the three gaps pending could well be JD, Welham and Moors if they're lucky!

Otherwise, we'd just name three of the nippers and have done with it.......

20 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

😄  😄

I read that as the three gaps pending could well be JD, Welham and Moors if they're lucky!

Otherwise, we'd just name three of the nippers and have done with it.......

Otherwise, we'd just name three of the nippers and have done with it..... agreed  looking at the three then you would assume some of them will be in the starting 17 if they don't make the call  I would think we start with the same 13 as bradford with ferres on the bench instead of fergie and then a choice between coops and field for tuther sub

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Moors' visa cleared...in squad for Saturday.

great news and  more than likely him  ferres and perata on the bench  

just a thought if kris gets the all clear and plays we will be only sherlock missing  from  one of our allegedly best  13's 🙌

27 minutes ago, POR said:

well the RFL are at it again only named a twenty man squad for FEV but good news  according to them both junior and kris are in it

Nu Brown's name isn't there but was on the original squad list on our website, he was missing last week on the RFL list if I remember rightly, maybe they are trying to work out how to spell Fa'amanu.

Archived