Match Thread: Challenge Cup Second Round, Featherstone Rovers v Batley Saturday-27th-March-2021

marklaspalmas

1 minute ago, Drifter said:

Your sarcastic comment about hype on your post was clearly aimed at me because I was the one who mentioned it. Anyway forget it. I forgot the Fev fans forum rules of engagement. Have a different opinion and expect someone to try and ridicule it instead of engaging in a debate. It's no wonder fans of other clubs have such a low opinion of this forum. 

Wow!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wow!

😉 Quite.

Anyway mate, we're in the semi's. And the last 16.

I'm drinking a more-than-palatable "Coto de Imaz".

I know you prefer French. What's your tipple on a Saturday evening?

I was going to put something sarcastic about Drifter being on the battery acid, but I daren't now.......

27 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

😉 Quite.

Anyway mate, we're in the semi's. And the last 16.

I'm drinking a more-than-palatable "Coto de Imaz".

I know you prefer French. What's your tipple on a Saturday evening?

I was going to put something sarcastic about Drifter being on the battery acid, but I daren't now.......

I'm on the Cote du Rhone.... the rhone Valley is still my fav though I don't mind bordeaux or loire wines, and Rich has lured me into Rioja of late.

Sometimes, you just have to win ugly.... and today was bloody ugly. As you say.... semis now.😊

In Parata,Harrison,Chisholm and Brown,you have 4 really class players who will stand out against any team in the championship.The rest of the squad are also better than most,so you must be nailed on for promotion which would be well deserved.

Purely out of interest,because you don't seem to have "clicked" after 4 games,is everybody happy with your coach.

I have'nt seen any mention Junior Moores.Any thoughts.

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

Believe it or not we both want the same thing but too many times in the near 50 years I've been watching Fev there has been a massive expectation from fans only for the club not to produce on the field. Until the season gets underway and we see how competitive the league is I don't think we should get carried away with thinking we are better than the rest 9not that all fans think that). Enjoy your drink, i'm sure there are lots of Brits who wished they were where you are right now. I'll go get my battery acid 🤢

Given the levels of vaccinations achieved, UK must be one of the world's safest places right now. But that's another conversation.

I feel like you've made some kind of direct link between some fans/media expectations and today's underperformance. In my 40 odd years a fan, I've never established that link.

Please excuse what you saw as sarcasm, but someone such as yourself who joined the forum last week can't really complain about  'forum rules' without arousing at least a jocular comment from one of the brethren.

Welcome, and I hope you're here to say. Cheers, whatever it may be you're drinking. 

51 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Purely out of interest,because you don't seem to have "clicked" after 4 games,is everybody happy with your coach.

I have'nt seen any mention Junior Moores.Any thoughts.

Webster's on a winning run of ten games going back to last season. Still early days in his time with us really.

Moors only played about 25 minutes and it was his first action for about 6 months. He'll be fine.

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

We had ryan Hall at full back!!!

And.... Pryce wet himself everytime batley got near our line! 🤣🤣

Way better than last weeks bbc debacle but it was like watching Batley tv at times.  If Campbell meant that ??.....Id love to have heard Pryce's commentary on Ainscough 2015.

just a thought about what comes next I think we can all agree we were lacklustre yesterday to say the least but we were held up over the line  numerous times and still scored 6 tries so when we KEEP the ball in hand we're pretty good 

if ANY team in the league can still score 6 tries  with a performance like that then they WILL be hard to beat

2 hours ago, POR said:

just a thought about what comes next I think we can all agree we were lacklustre yesterday to say the least but we were held up over the line  numerous times and still scored 6 tries so when we KEEP the ball in hand we're pretty good 

if ANY team in the league can still score 6 tries  with a performance like that then they WILL be hard to beat

That's more or less what I'm taking from the game. Webster didn't sugar coat it when interviewed. Winning horribly is better than losing gallantly.

I donthink we'll play that bad again. It's difficult to imagine our ball retention being any worse.

And as you say, if we can create the chances we did, and beat a team with the attitude and commitment level of batley, then fev will be difficult to beat.

16 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Are you sure? I thought it was because the players thought they were better than they were. 😉

That was certainly the impression that I had, as a neutral. A few lazy minutes by a lot of Fev players that could have cost them. I am sure that there won't be such tolerance on this forum for a performance like that in a league game; the ones that really matter, after all.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

That's more or less what I'm taking from the game. Webster didn't sugar coat it when interviewed. Winning horribly is better than losing gallantly.

I donthink we'll play that bad again. It's difficult to imagine our ball retention being any worse.

And as you say, if we can create the chances we did, and beat a team with the attitude and commitment level of batley, then fev will be difficult to beat.

A quote to save for later in the season Robin.

🕵️‍♂️

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

One extra thing about this game that's probably worth mentioning, Chisholm and Brown swapped sides of the field, so Chisholm played on the left (as he had in 2019 and 2020) and Brown on the right. Think that makes sense as Brown is left-handed and Chisholm right-handed, plus Brown seems to have a really good side step off his right foot whereas Chisholm seems adept at stepping off either foot, also if Holmes comes in for Brown he's very adept on the right hand side.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One extra thing about this game that's probably worth mentioning, Chisholm and Brown swapped sides of the field, so Chisholm played on the left (as he had in 2019 and 2020) and Brown on the right. Think that makes sense as Brown is left-handed and Chisholm right-handed, plus Brown seems to have a really good side step off his right foot whereas Chisholm seems adept at stepping off either foot, also if Holmes comes in for Brown he's very adept on the right hand side.

Could we see Brown at loose forward?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, jamescolin said:

Very good thinking TPH.  

Just a thought I am left handed and always found it easier when playing to pass to the right. So would Brown be better in the middle left? Then he could pass easily and still sidestep. 

1 minute ago, jamescolin said:

Just a thought I am left handed and always found it easier when playing to pass to the right. So would Brown be better in the middle left? Then he could pass easily and still sidestep. 

That's the theory...left-handers find it easier passing to the right and vice versa. So makes sense to play Brown on the right for the left-to-right passing moves.

Sorry don't get it. A left hander playing on the right which is the way he passes. Surely he will have less room on the right hand side. He should be playing on the left to have more room to pass. I suggested middle left so he could use his side step better.

Can anyone remember the first few games Ryan Carr was in charge, and how we played in  those games, there's a similarity to how we've performed so far. After watching the coaches interview after the game. I think there'll be some changes next week.

42 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Sorry don't get it. A left hander playing on the right which is the way he passes. Surely he will have less room on the right hand side.

No it's fairly straightforward, on shift plays going towards the left the key ball is usually going to be from the half back on the left side to the back row, centre or cut-out ball to the left wing, and the same for plays on the right hand side. Think of how many tries Tom Holmes set up for Luke Briscoe and then Conor Carey playing on that right side.

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

Can anyone remember the first few games Ryan Carr was in charge, and how we played in  those games, there's a similarity to how we've performed so far. After watching the coaches interview after the game. I think there'll be some changes next week.

We struggled at half back and managed to lose 10 games in the season yet got the the play off with Wolfpack and matched a fully pro side for 40 min.The ref was not our friend in that game.We need to be at our best towards the end of the season but up to then play well enough to reach the top three.Interesting season ahead.

We've played two competitive matches and have played 40 minutes of "good" rugby - in which scored 71 points and won both games. 

Teams and players will find it hard to be consistent and to get to a good level for the first few weeks / months of the season. 

Batley has always been a tough nut to crack for us and many other teams. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No it's fairly straightforward, on shift plays going towards the left the key ball is usually going to be from the half back on the left side to the back row, centre or cut-out ball to the left wing, and the same for plays on the right hand side. Think of how many tries Tom Holmes set up for Luke Briscoe and then Conor Carey playing on that right side.

True logic. Cheers.

Archived