James Webster: match reaction

roversspud

"We'll look forward to the underdogs from Featherstone going up against the big city-slickers in York!" 🤣

Discuss.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Not exactly confidence boosting comments, but I hope it might spur them on to error free rugby for the whole match not just the last 20 mins.

2 hours ago, roversspud said:

"We'll look forward to the underdogs from Featherstone going up against the big city-slickers in York!" 🤣

Discuss.

Taking the pressure off the players that's all. You need to play your best at any ground in this league whether it's at York or anywhere else. Some good sides in the championship.

I like it (and yes of course it was very tongue in cheek). There's been a big "feelgood factor" about York's renaissance, and rightly so, but for me there isn't enough positive spin in general RL circles about the fact that Featherstone, a small town that had been inextricably linked with mining for generations, somehow continues to thrive as a rugby league stronghold against all the odds decades after the pits closed.

When a small town against all odds manages to provide a sports team that can compete with the best, this should be viewed as a massive fillip for the competitiveness and attractiveness of the sport itself, instead of being cited as somehow being indicative of a lack of progress, as seems to be the case in some quarters whenever we are mentioned as prospective SL candidates. "Little" Leicester beating the Manchester Utds, Chelseas and Liverpools of this world wasn't seen as a backward step was it?

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I like it (and yes of course it was very tongue in cheek). There's been a big "feelgood factor" about York's renaissance, and rightly so, but for me there isn't enough positive spin in general RL circles about the fact that Featherstone, a small town that had been inextricably linked with mining for generations, somehow continues to thrive as a rugby league stronghold against all the odds decades after the pits closed.

When a small town against all odds manages to provide a sports team that can compete with the best, this should be viewed as a massive fillip for the competitiveness and attractiveness of the sport itself, instead of being cited as somehow being indicative of a lack of progress, as seems to be the case in some quarters whenever we are mentioned as prospective SL candidates. "Little" Leicester beating the Manchester Utds, Chelseas and Liverpools of this world wasn't seen as a backward step was it?

Love it. Yes.

Archived