What RL Can Learn (One perspective)

RayCee

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

F1 is a part of the social fabric of the parts of society it needs to be part of the fabric of.

It sells Rolex watches. It provides business opportunities in Monaco. It's a testing bed for sports car stuff you can flog to rich blokes with Ferraris and people who'd like to be rich blokes with Ferraris.

Indeed.

When I visited family in Canada, the kids played and then followed ice hockey. Those in South Australia played Aussie Rules and then followed the code. The ones in SA viewed RL as a sport played elsewhere and inferior. We emigrated to Auckland so played and took to following RL. What you play and what’s played around you is important.

Interestingly all of the above including us all had some interest in soccer. No one actually played it though. I guess it’s global pervasiveness sucks in fans. Smaller sports don’t have the same ability to do that. They fly below the radar for potential fans. Plenty of media exposure is needed to entice new interest. Lack of media in the UK and France hurts RL. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

When I visited family in Canada, the kids played and then followed ice hockey. Those in South Australia played Aussie Rules and then followed the code. The ones in SA viewed RL as a sport played elsewhere and inferior. We emigrated to Auckland so played and took to following RL. What you play and what’s played around you is important.

Interestingly all of the above including us all had some interest in soccer. No one actually played it though. I guess it’s global pervasiveness sucks in fans. Smaller sports don’t have the same ability to do that. They fly below the radar for potential fans. Plenty of media exposure is needed to entice new interest. Lack of media in the UK and France hurts RL. 

My brother (in Texas) had a similar thing with baseball in that he went to a game, bought a top, then quickly lost interest. As kids we played rounders (the origin of baseball and nigh on identical to it) but that wasn’t enough to drag us in to watching the game adults across the Atlantic play. Although it is a global sport basketball must have more people who play it recreationally but don’t actually follow it. An NBA final getting 18 million total viewers; globally there must be at least 10 times that who have a hoop at/near their home they have played on, the difference being African Americans (predominantly) play a competitive form of it on the streets that is unlike anywhere else. 

10 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

money talks, and I can see the day looming when one of the TV companies splashes the cash to try and form a new comp with the cream of British RU plus the likes of Leeds, Warrington, Hull, Wigan and Saints playing a new form of rugby using the best parts of both games

This is 100% going to happen UNLESS a few RL people with brains get to grips with things within 3 years 

P

Archived