Thurs 28th Apr : SL : Wakefield Trinity v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 SKY

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Huddersfield Giants

Caught up with the TV broadcast, that wasn't pretty to watch but the Giants were missing plenty of big names - and I don't think we've seen our best spine together yet

Still, a wins a win and much needed 

My one (ongoing) gripe is that the Sky pundits remain absolutely garbage.

John Wells especially cannot help but let his dislike of the Giants shine through every time he speaks 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I think Bowes received a crusher during that 1st half during a tackle from English.  Possibly related to that?

Must have been. We could have done with his energy last quarter. He made some nice scoots early on and looked to be doing a good job. 

4 hours ago, Ant said:

Caught up with the TV broadcast, that wasn't pretty to watch but the Giants were missing plenty of big names - and I don't think we've seen our best spine together yet

Still, a wins a win and much needed 

My one (ongoing) gripe is that the Sky pundits remain absolutely garbage.

John Wells especially cannot help but let his dislike of the Giants shine through every time he speaks 

He's awful isn't he, god knows how or why we've upset him so much but as you say he certainly doesn't even try to hide it anymore.

9 hours ago, The Mighty Trin said:

What the h**l is wrong with people on here. Sorry to be so blunt but our Featherstone pal sumed it up. People don't have the money simple. £25 is a lot of cash. I've travelled 200 miles to watch us play Featherstone in the friendly in Jan and was down to watch us against Castleford and if any neutrals who seen that game seen we didn't turn up and to shell out £115 for us all is alot...no apologies given to the fans. Then no disrespect to Huddersfield I thought we would have seen us get over the line against them with a fully fit squad. With 6pts on the board I can't imagine the fans coming back any time soon. 

There was just 2,667 at the Warrington v Wakefield league game. Its across the league. If a team is not doing well they will stay away and save their money simple just like the wire fans did a couple of months back.

I remember back in my teenage years I walked to Pontefract 8.5 miles on a Sunday (no bus) to then catch a bus to W/field then after the game get another to Leeds then back to the village on another and that's when we were in the Championship getting crowds of 1.2k to 1.5k unless it was against Featherstone or Hull FC/KR now that was dedication. Times have changed now most of us are all skint. Next match for me will be the Magic Weekend...just hope we can get out of this rot.

Up the Trinity

Good post, It's not just about the money, which is a major factor, but value for money and also value for your leisure time.

Back in T'day, there was very little to do on a Sunday, which is how I first got to going to Fartown, courtesy of Fartown legend Tony Johnson, we were teenagers, with a love of sport, Tony was a youth worker and came to our youth club, he then told of us the struggles Fartown were expereincing and suggested we go down and help them out and go watch some games, we did and we're still here, mainly because for teenage lads in Huddersfield, and I suspect many other towns across the RL heartlands, there wasn't anything else to do.

Back in the late 80's, early 90's live sport was relatively cheap, easily accessible, but most importantly, on a Sunday it filled that gap for leisure time, as time moved on, there are now lots of things competing for leisure time and money, and sadly, paying £25 for a night stood in a decrepit 20th century rugby ground obviously isn't attractive anymore.

ALL clubs and the sport in general need to do more to attract, new and lapsed fans but also to keep the current fans from walking away.

8 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

I'm more concerned after last night than some of the recent debacles. For example in the cup against Wigan we were blown away by star players having good games. Against Cas we had some bad luck and certainly bad refereeing but far more importantly poor execution and an unforgivably poor attitude to the adversity. However, games like that happen to all teams occasionally (though Wakey seem more prone than most)! Last night we played a team facing plenty of their own adversity who managed to execute a really simple game plan and in spite of obvious effort on our part it was clear we had no answers. Not even hints of answers most of the time. The problem which Trin fans have known since last season, and which was more starkly exposed last night than previously, was lack of props. We have one super league quality prop who struggles with fitness and counteracts some undeniably good work with regular brain farts including one which put us right on the back foot yesterday. It's especially a shame as there is excitement and talent waiting to burst out of our back line if only they had the platform. Depressingly there is no obvious answer and it is becoming increasingly clear to other teams how to shut us out of a game.

At the moment, I would make us clear favourites for relegation. I'm sure the players will fight hard and we have plenty of good players but I don't believe the team (or at least the balance of the team) is good enough. BUT...giving up is always a poor option in life; far better to look for creative answers. We have a luxury asset in Tom Johnstone who has given me more moments of magic than any other in the 30+ years I've been watching and who I'd hate to see leave, but we have a massive need for a good prop. Is it possible that there is a team with a SL quality prop (SL or NRL) who feel they could make better use of TJ's talents than we do and who would be prepared to do a swap deal now? If we think there is a realistic chance of keeping TJ next year, could this be done as a swap loan deal till the end of the season (admittedly kicking the can of the prop problem down the road but right now I'd do that)?!

To be fair, you also faced a side last night which has been taught to work hard for each other, which was evident from the Giants, in previous years Wakefield would have won that game as we would have crumbled, but this team, under Watson are a different breed, but most importantly, we are now a TEAM, something we haven't been for a while.

Archived