On this day in 1295, the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France, against England, is first signed. 

On this day in 1642, the Battle of Edgehill, the first major battle of the English Civil War, is fought. 

On this day in 1707, the first Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain is convened. 

Second and decisive Battle of El Alamein started today 1942 

Largest naval battle in history at Leyte Gulf 1944 . The first battle to see kamikaze attacks and the last naval battle between battleships . It broke the back of the imperial surface fleet 

Zhukov takes command of the beleaguered Red Army 1941

The Chophouse Massacre does for Dutch Schulz among others 1935

Lenin calls for a second revolution 1917

First use of aircraft in war , by Italy v Turkey 1911

War of Jenkins Ear kicks off 1739

Second Battle of Philippi sees Brutus soundly beaten by Octavian and Mark Anthony 42BC

And the big one , the end of Ceefax 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So many happy memories. RIP. 😢

I remember watching the 1985 Ashes and BBC would go off for the news at 6 whatever , and I kept track on Richard Ellison running through the Aussies via Ceefax . 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I remember watching the 1985 Ashes and BBC would go off for the news at 6 whatever , and I kept track on Richard Ellison running through the Aussies via Ceefax . 

I wasn't alive in 1985 (😉) but I remember constantly checking the football scores when I was a kid in the 90s and early 2000s just like I do now on flashscores. Interesting how technology evolves isn't it? Apps on your phone are just ceefax that look a bit nicer really! 

Here's something I've never heard of before; 

On this day in 1859, the Royal Charter Storm claimed the lives of at least 800 people in Britain.

The name of the storm comes from the Steam Clipper Royal Charter which was reaching the end of its voyage from Melbourne to Liverpool before the storm shipwrecked it on Anglesey, killing 450 people. 

The Rumble in the Jungle was today 1974… Orson Welles broadcast ‘ The War of the Worlds ‘ in 1938 … Mussolini becomes PM of Italy in 1922 … the Act of Supremacy makes Henry VIII head of the English Church , making a teensy weensy spot of trouble for hundreds of years 

In case you didn't realise from all the banging outside, on this day in 1605, Guy Fawkes was arrested in the cellar of the Houses of Parliement after planting masses of gunpowder with the plan to blow up the houses and assassinate James I. 

Also, on this day in 1688, William of Orange landed with his army at Brixham to instigate the Glorious Revolution and depose James II. 

Not a good day in history to be a king called James.... 

On this day 46 years ago, Malcolm McLaren pretended he'd invented Punk Rock when the Sex Pistols released "Anarchy in the UK", featuring trainee butter salesman John Lydon on vocals.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A couple for fellow Napoleon buffs out there;

On this day in 1804, Napoleon Bonapatre crowns himself Emperor of France at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. 

On this day in 1805, Napoleon masterpieces his greatest victory, decisively defeating a combined Russo-Austrian force at the Battle of Austerlitz. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A couple for fellow Napoleon buffs out there;

On this day in 1804, Napoleon Bonapatre crowns himself Emperor of France at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. 

On this day in 1805, Napoleon masterpieces his greatest victory, decisively defeating a combined Russo-Austrian force at the Battle of Austerlitz. 

On this day in 2023, Ridley Scott says something rude to an interviewer who's done his research.

Probably.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson