Andy Farrell at Robin Park

One swallow does not make a summer.

Similarly, one player does not make a row. You need at least two players to make a row.

Thus the loose forward cannot be in a row of his own.

Consequently, he must be part of the back row, especially as he is definitely not in the front row.

HTH.

Note: No, I don't have anything better to do.

Edited by JohnM

16 hours ago, yipyee said:

But if you are back row you wouldn't expect to have someone behind you as it is not then the back...

Back means the last one, also if someone says 'the forwards' you have a pretty good idea where they play without pointing out second row etc...

Hope this helps

Ah but in the modern game, forwards as in second row position play most of the match in the backs at centre, only becoming a forward for that little get together they have now and again to lean on each other for a rest, that used to be called a scrum to contest for the ball.

IMG_20220830_124022.jpg.e2964f0bd9d3373422b1c44af16d8192.jpgHere's a diagram created using international laws terminology.

Apologies for any flaws in presentation, it was on my phone sat in the sun in Greece. 

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 30/08/2022 at 10:42, Padge said:

IMG_20220830_124022.jpg.e2964f0bd9d3373422b1c44af16d8192.jpgHere's a diagram created using international laws terminology.

Apologies for any flaws in presentation, it was on my phone sat in the sun in Greece. 

That's not bad at all for a phone.

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is of the backline should subdivided again into 'full back' (a single position of course) and 'three-quarters' (the centres and wingers).

But I am just being picky.

(Ps. Enjoy Greece.  I had 10 days in Kos earlier in the summer and it was superb).

Edited by Dunbar
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

(Ps. Enjoy Greece.  I had 10 days in Kos earlier in the summer and it was superb).

Thanks, been to Kos a coup!e of times. Fascinating place if you like your history, but you need to go to Rhodes to see some of Kos's best mosaics as the Italians nicked them and installed them in St.Johns Palace of the knights.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's not bad at all for a phone.

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is of the backline should subdivided again into 'full back' (a single position of course) and 'three-quarters' (the centres and wingers).

But I am just being picky.

Back on to positions having diverted to Greece. I based the split on the International laws of the game naming convention. In the laws only the centres are classed as three quarters, hence my division and labelling.

• Like 1