Green Vigo Interview

Roughyed Rats

That's a good article... thanks Rats.  Green Vigo (great name!) ,  although his time at Oldham was short he really was one of the best wingers I've seen play for us. He was near the end of his career and I remember him best for the inside runs mentioned in the article when he would run off his wing and angle back to score under the posts, running angles like that was different then.  Also the crash tackles ,when he would fly in hard off his wing and crease the opposition backs, he was an entertaining player !

Sounds like he spent a bit too much time on the pop which explains his sudden departure but good to read he got over that and settled down.  

• Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 22:14, tub said:

That's a good article... thanks Rats.  Green Vigo (great name!) ,  although his time at Oldham was short he really was one of the best wingers I've seen play for us. He was near the end of his career and I remember him best for the inside runs mentioned in the article when he would run off his wing and angle back to score under the posts, running angles like that was different then.  Also the crash tackles ,when he would fly in hard off his wing and crease the opposition backs, he was an entertaining player !

Sounds like he spent a bit too much time on the pop which explains his sudden departure but good to read he got over that and settled down.  

Talking of crash tackles, I was at Wilderspool in 1984 when he absolutely nailed (fair but extremely hard hit) a young Paul Bishop who swallowed his tongue. Luckily he was OK but what a hit from Vigo that was. Great player to watch. Great times.

• Like 3

He said he didnt remember much from his spell at Swinton, not surprised give not surprised given the stories still told in the pubs about him and Danny Wilson!

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

1 hour ago, Mark said:

He said he didnt remember much from his spell at Swinton, not surprised give not surprised given the stories still told in the pubs about him and Danny Wilson!

Remember when Oldham played Swinton at their old ground. We went into folly lane, pre match, for a pint and he came in on crutches and had a few! 😄

• Like 2

Really happy, but astonished, that he is still going, given his way of life back then.

He passed out under the pool table at Moorside CC the night before the Cas match and was knocked out in the first tackle.

Terry Flan's mum used to make him a big potato pie that they'd give him at training to make sure he ate.

Brilliant winger.

• Haha 2