TRL HELPDESK: applying for disability benefits

Hi all, need some urgent advice on how to claim disability benefits, or whatever they're called these days. 

I need to put in the claim on behalf of someone but after having read all the stuff on the government website I can't make head nor tail of it. 

I was going to ring the individual's doctor but I don't know if that's how to get the process going. 

Can someone give me some simple, step by step instructions as to how to claim these benefits. It would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks all! 

Get good advice from charities linked to the disability. Well meaning amateurs are one of the leading causes of rejected claims. 

That’s the very best advice I can give. 

They give either too much information trying to help that lets an assessor think they don’t need help, or they concentrate on the wrong things. 

If you’re not sure of which charity, you can start at Citizens Advice.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

39 minutes ago, ckn said:

Get good advice from charities linked to the disability. Well meaning amateurs are one of the leading causes of rejected claims. 

That’s the very best advice I can give. 

They give either too much information trying to help that lets an assessor think they don’t need help, or they concentrate on the wrong things. 

If you’re not sure of which charity, you can start at Citizens Advice.

Two bits of advice:

(1) Describe everything as if it is your (their) worst day.

(2) Have evidence for absolutely everything you claim.

And a third bit that some people forget:

(3) You can and should repeat yourself. Answers may apply across sections.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Two bits of advice:

3 is so important. Treat each question as standalone, as it will be marked as standalone. What you said just before is irrelevant to the scoring of the one you're on now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Okay, I've set the ball rolling so to speak.

I should just point out the individual I'm helping has an anxiety condition which means they've been trying for ages to start this process but not been able to and that's why I'm doing it cos I've only just found out about it.

The anxiety means they are very insistent on doing this in a certain way and they've insisted we see their doctor first and get him to write us a letter before contacting the DWP to start the claim. I've called the doctors and just my luck, the particular one we need to see isn't in so I need to call back tomorrow to get an appointment. Doing it this way I know will take longer but its the way the individual is wanting to do it and, as I say, at least we've got the ball rolling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Two bits of advice:

Seconded and cannot stress enough how important point 1 is.

Mrs S sought advice from her local autism support group when first applying for DLA (as it was then) for my stepson; they had a gamekeeper turned poacher on board who told her that the medical evidence/support section is vital and without it a claim will almost invariably be rejected.

Wakefield district has at least 2 charitable organisations that help with applications so it's likely that Hull will have something too. As stated above seek advice and support

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Seconded and cannot stress enough how important point 1 is.

Mrs S sought advice from her local autism support group when first applying for DLA (as it was then) for my stepson; they had a gamekeeper turned poacher on board who told her that the medical evidence/support section is vital and without it a claim will almost invariably be rejected.

Wakefield district has at least 2 charitable organisations that help with applications so it's likely that Hull will have something too. As stated above seek advice and support

This may be a reasonable place to start in Hull: http://www.adviceforward.org.uk/Agency/Hull-Advice

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

ckn's advice about using knowledgeable, local charity sources is very sound.  Such charities may also know whether there are any local, grant-making charities that might help to augment what is secured from public sector sources.

• Like 2