When wokeism and sport collide

Tosh

6 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I think the debate is what is the right amount. The trick is sustainable growth. There are obviously lots if informed people that have different views on what this means. 

As a comparison look at women's football in England. It barely registered 10 years ago. It had a lot of investment and this summer I watched a major women's  final in a field with 3000 other people. 

However, as I understand it, the women's top flight competition is still unsustainable and making a loss.

What was the major womens final?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Because there is barely enough money to facilitate the current situation in UK RL as it is. L1 clubs are clinging on by a thread, even SL clubs have finances with more holes than a tramps vest. 

If women's RL can grow and generate more money, fantastic, hope it happens. But I don't think it will be right or fair to divert money away from an already struggling men's game. 

Oz is very different though (because of brexit 🙂 sorry I'm naughty, I need to stop)

I do think there is an opportunity there for the WNRL to rock up at the next Olympics and buy up all the sevens players off the podium if they want them and basically making women's union a bit irrelevant compared to them. But the trick is sustainable growth. I suspect v'landys knows what he's doing.

Edited by thebrewxi

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

The question in the real world is where does the money come from?

Do you slash the mens salary cap even further?

In the real world you speculate to accumulate on whatever is going to bring the greatest return on investment with a calculation on risk.

Do you have a particular preference for whether Rugby League is ultimately played by a man or a woman?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Fair play.

I am definitely an old man and the world is mad. Instantly if you say something it gets blindsided by judgements on your character of politics it seems. I justbthink grenade words like woke are awful for this.

Like I said previously if anyone can provide another word to better describe people who hide behind highly exaggerated perceived social injustices to further their agenda I’m all ears.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Like I said previously if anyone can provide another word to better describe people who hide behind highly exaggerated perceived social injustices to further their agenda I’m all ears.

Why do you need a word for it? That just creates a confrontational, them and us landscape where you are already accepting you will never find a ground you agree on in the debate. It's cheap an the lowest form of debate. Remoaner, Brexiteer, boomer, woke. Lazy.

I find if you replace "woke" with "not right wing" the context remains exactly the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

In the real world you speculate to accumulate on whatever is going to bring the greatest return on investment with a calculation on risk.

Do you have a particular preference for whether Rugby League is ultimately played by a man or a woman?

Do you seriously think a women's league could be a like for like swap? (At this point in time)

You don't harm your premium product in order boost others. Or at least, you shouldn't 

• Like 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes.

my preference for spending my money to attend a RL game or watch on TV or buy a replica jersey is on the man’s game.

As for having a preference on who plays the game,  I support all sexes and all ages of all abilities playing all formats of RL.

How about yourself?

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

Do you seriously think a women's league could be a like for like swap? (At this point in time)

You don't harm your premium product in order boost others. Or at least, you shouldn't 

I seriously think enhancing the pay for female athletes will grow participation, quality of the sport and attendances and viewership, yes.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

There was a big increase in Gridiron participation in the UK in the early 80's due to the TV coverage. It didn't last so we need to be careful and ensure it's not just a fad before we throw the family silver at it. 

Exactly.

I was one of those watching on channel 4 supporting the Chicago bears and later the London monarchs before losing interest.

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

Yes.

my preference for spending my money to attend a RL game or watch on TV or buy a replica jersey is on the man’s game.

As for having a preference on who plays the game,  I support all sexes and all ages of all abilities playing all formats of RL.

How about yourself?

So is this really about you only conceiving that men’s rugby league can be a commercially successful entity?

Is that why you are against enhanced pay for female athletes?

Is it a form of protectionism for the men then?  

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Please, for the love of god, don't use the word "woke".

It's a horrible boomerism that seems to only be a red flag for ignorance and bigotry.

As for my opinion, the women's game deserves more than the $800k they're getting. 

They pull fantastic TV coverage rivalling Super Rugby and beating out both the NBL and A-League soccer.

I feel they're undervalued.

I find the word boomer (and gammon, which usually follows fairly swiftly afterwards) as a red flag for ignorance and bigotry. Funny old world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I find the word boomer (and gammon, which usually follows fairly swiftly afterwards) as a red flag for ignorance and bigotry. Funny old world.

Is anyone familiar with Godwin's law? I think we need a new list of words which includes boomer, woke and gammon (unless the debate is about favorite type of pork produce perhaps) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

There was a big increase in Gridiron participation in the UK in the early 80's due to the TV coverage. It didn't last so we need to be careful and ensure it's not just a fad before we throw the family silver at it. 

This is factually wrong though isn’t it?

The growth then was the bedrock for sustained viewing figures in the NFL that has lead to regular season matches being played in the U.K. every year.

There are also player pathway programmes being developed that is nurturing potential NFL athletes in the U.K. finding them a home in the US collegiate system that is the base for NFL players.

In fact contrary to your argument the NFL is growing year on year in the U.K. on every measure.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So is this really about you only conceiving that men’s rugby league can be a commercially successful entity?

Is that why you are against enhanced pay for female athletes?

Is it a form of protectionism for the men then?  

Who said anything about womens RL not being a commercially successful entity?

I’m sure I read in the article that the NRLW had increased its salary cap by 153%. That sounds like a success in my book.

where did I say that I’m against enhanced pay for female athletes?

I support the 153% increase on the NRLW salary cap.

how can protectionism for the mens game be helpful for the mens game and game of RL in general?

Its really a simple concept in  that market forces determine an athlete’s salary and not someone’s social agenda.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This is factually wrong though isn’t it?

The growth then was the bedrock for sustained viewing figures in the NFL that has lead to regular season matches being played in the U.K. every year.

There are also player pathway programmes being developed that is nurturing potential NFL athletes in the U.K. finding them a home in the US collegiate system that is the base for NFL players.

In fact contrary to your argument the NFL is growing year on year in the U.K. on every measure.

I didn't offer any 'argument' other than that there was a boom in the early 80's due to the Channel 4 coverage. But seeing as you mention popularity, even before that NFL was pretty popular and cool. They probably could have staged NFL games at Wembley in the 70's and filled them. 

But if you are arguing that Gridiron is a popular mass participation sport in the UK, then I'll leave you to it. (People watching or wearing NFL gear is not the same thing btw) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Why do you need a word for it? That just creates a confrontational, them and us landscape where you are already accepting you will never find a ground you agree on in the debate. It's cheap an the lowest form of debate. Remoaner, Brexiteer, boomer, woke. Lazy.

I find if you replace "woke" with "not right wing" the context remains exactly the same.

Because that’s that the whole woke movement is about unless you think that woke and wokeism are dirty words or something to be ashamed of?

Plus I personally don’t think that wokeism is a left-wing movement. I believe it to be more a liberal movement on the whole.