Please explain.

David

A very talented Leigh player, and shall we call a 'character', maliciously throws a York player to the ground, no remorse, receives a yellow card and a one match ban which is being contested. Another Leigh player, after five minutes, inadvertently commits an ugly spear tackle for which he is openly contrite and apologetic. He receives a red card and a 6 match ban. A Hull player at half time, criticises Mr Kendall the referee and receives a yellow card. He then says something else and receives a red card ruling him out for the second half. The old adage, Sticks and Stones comes to mind. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

I agree it does appear bizarre that a player who commits an assault on a fellow player risking that players career gets off relatively lightly yet you call a ref a few choice words and you get a lengthy ban when really you have maybe only hurt his feelings. I do think questioning a referee is wrong and swearing at an official should be and always was a red card, no question and a one or two match ban is certainly warranted along with a fine. Maybe looking on the flip side the sanctions for foul play should  be increased.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David said:

I should have added that the Hull player who criticised the referee received a seven match ban.

Here you go D

Chris Kendall’s referee report states: “Just before half time, I blew a penalty against Hull FC for a ball steal. Josh Griffin was unhappy with the decision and verbally challenged the call, I told him it was a ball steal and he muttered something as he turned and ran back towards his own team.

“I was unsure what exactly he had said so decided to leave it alone and not advance the mark. Shortly after this, the half time hooter went and I blew to call time on the first half. Josh Griffin came over and was continuing to argue and gesticulate about the ball steal decision.

“I told him it was a clear ball steal and after arguing for a short time, he said “f—— b—s—” as he walked away from myself. I raised my yellow card to Josh Griffin, he then said “your [sic] f—— s—”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said “f——- cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.”

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, POR said:

Here you go D

Chris Kendall’s referee report states: “Just before half time, I blew a penalty against Hull FC for a ball steal. Josh Griffin was unhappy with the decision and verbally challenged the call, I told him it was a ball steal and he muttered something as he turned and ran back towards his own team.

“I was unsure what exactly he had said so decided to leave it alone and not advance the mark. Shortly after this, the half time hooter went and I blew to call time on the first half. Josh Griffin came over and was continuing to argue and gesticulate about the ball steal decision.

“I told him it was a clear ball steal and after arguing for a short time, he said “f—— b—s—” as he walked away from myself. I raised my yellow card to Josh Griffin, he then said “your [sic] f—— s—”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said “f——- cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.”

Can’t fault his decision then. I know I’ve mentioned this before but we have a huge communication problem in rugby league, clubs struggle to communicate with their fans. On the pitch, I’m tired of seeing a referee give a penalty or disallow a try and you have no idea why. Likewise, if notes were made available on why Hardaker only got 1 match I could maybe understand.

• Like 1