Will Liam Finn Go?

RugbyPowelly

29 minutes ago, NickD said:

How sad.  Three of our best to a club that probably doesn’t need em really. 

It’s all speculation at the moment but I do think we’ll have another big turnover of players again. Sheffield have been sniffing around some of our players nearly all season. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

It’s all speculation at the moment but I do think we’ll have another big turnover of players again. Sheffield have been sniffing around some of our players nearly all season. 

Well if we lose Restall to Sheffield 🤔

I'd be going after Gudek 🤔

8 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

We really need to get Sam Day signed up!! 

Don’t think anyone will be getting signed up until a new coach arrives.  We had a massive opportunity to get going first with our early promotion but Liam and Fax have scuppered that unfortunately 😩

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NickD said:

How sad.  Three of our best to a club that probably doesn’t need em really. 

This is my point though Nick.

Some unknown poster says "I hear......blather, blah....yatter, yatter...." and folk immediately start to regard it as fact. Don't fall down that rabbit hole.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, graham fisher said:

There will be a couple retiring as well, so no doubt a recruitment process for a coach and players is already underway, but we couldn't really expect the club to say anything, could we?

Why would they want to show their hand at this stage?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

There will be a couple retiring as well, so no doubt a recruitment process for a coach and players is already underway, but we couldn't really expect the club to say anything, could we?

Why would they want to show their hand at this stage?

I reckon player retention and recruitment will be put on hold until we've appointed a new coach 🤔 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is my point though Nick.

Some unknown poster says "I hear......blather, blah....yatter, yatter...." and folk immediately start to regard it as fact. Don't fall down that rabbit hole.

It’s a forum BSJ.  Facts are dull and I reckon half the rumours come to fruition anyhow.  Some were questioning if Liam was gunna leave for starters and we all know how that’s ending. 

I agree with BSJ. All this speculation about who may go and who may stay is pointless. 

Whoever does or doesn't follow Finny, or otherwise moves on, we will have to build a squad for next season. To do that we need a coach, whose appointment now has to be the priority. 

Personally I would like to see John Kear at the club, but reality says that we may have to settle for someone who commands a slightly lower premium. I am a great fan of Paul Sykes as a player, but worry that he may be too intuitively clever as a player to make a good coach. Maybe he would be worth a gamble  or maybe not. 

I'm sure the club understand the situation at least as well as all us experts, and have things in hand. We have to wait and see what develops

• Thanks 1

I suspect a number of the players will know already if they’re gunna be leaving, just as they knew about Finny in advance.   So it will be interesting to see how they go against Doncaster next week. 

We should be offering contracts now!! ... irrespective of who is the new coach!  Liam is going to Halifax and his squad is already assured!! We should not risk losing some of our top players just because we have been slow in offering contracts and allowing other clubs in! ... Hopefully this is all going on behind the scenes now and not waiting for the coach appointment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

We should be offering contracts now!! ... irrespective of who is the new coach!  Liam is going to Halifax and his squad is already assured!! We should not risk losing some of our top players just because we have been slow in offering contracts and allowing other clubs in! ... Hopefully this is all going on behind the scenes now and not waiting for the coach appointment.

I agree

We have the jump on the other team's finishing early, if we wait until the season finishes we'll resemble a half eaten carcass rotting in the desert sun, same applies to the coach, advertise and attract them now, they'll be a few teams come the end of the season looking for a new coach, let's get in front of the revolving door, we're a good club, money is always on the button for players and staff. 

We snooze, we lose🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

At least Alan Kilshaw won't be applying for the job as he's going to Swinton next season on a 2 year contract 

This news should be the kick up the a.rse we need to get a coach in place as soon as possible, so the new coach can retain or let go players not needed under him, I'd like to think behind the scenes the wheels are in motion and swiftly drawing to a conclusion who the new coach will be, I'm not a fan of waiting until the season is over before announcements, yes that might be the morally way to do things.... But others don't 

Let's crack on and get sorted🤔

• Like 1

I agree, we need to get contracts sorted now or the usual suspects (Sheffield , Batley)will jump in while we are still thinking.

There could then be announcements at the awards night to lift spirits for next year. No other teams keep signings secret until after the season ends, they build expectations as soon pen is put to paper.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NickD said:

I suspect a number of the players will know already if they’re gunna be leaving, just as they knew about Finny in advance.   So it will be interesting to see how they go against Doncaster next week. 

Two weeks off, league won, coach leaving, holiday mode, imminent retirements.

I expect a sound beating but we won't really care.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, coolie said:

This news should be the kick up the a.rse we need to get a coach in place as soon as possible, so the new coach can retain or let go players not needed under him, I'd like to think behind the scenes the wheels are in motion and swiftly drawing to a conclusion who the new coach will be, I'm not a fan of waiting until the season is over before announcements, yes that might be the morally way to do things.... But others don't 

Let's crack on and get sorted🤔

Is this not already happening?

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

At least Alan Kilshaw won't be applying for the job as he's going to Swinton next season on a 2 year contract 

Are people now predicting the demise of Hunslet's promotion push?

On the other hand if Doncaster don't go up this season there may be yet another vacancy to fill.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

I agree, we need to get contracts sorted now or the usual suspects (Sheffield , Batley)will jump in while we are still thinking.

There could then be announcements at the awards night to lift spirits for next year. No other teams keep signings secret until after the season ends, they build expectations as soon pen is put to paper.

I believe that you are wrong. Players are contracted until the end of October and, unless both clubs agree, nobody can announce the signing of other clubs' players before the season has ended.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe that you are wrong. Players are contracted until the end of October and, unless both clubs agree, nobody can announce the signing of other clubs' players before the season has ended.

Kilshaw contracted to Hunslet

But yet announced as Swinton Coach

Do coaches have different contracts than players?? 

Would have thought a contract is a contract regardless 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolie said:

We don't know do we? 

Let's get some positive news out there, and start squashing the "ifs & buts" 

But why?

Will folk stop attending because their concentration span is too short?

Do you expect clubs to have a running commentary on everything that's happening?

And, excuse me for pointing this out, but doesn't winning the league with a game to spare count as positive news?

Stop panicking - save it until Christmas at least.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

But why?

Will folk stop attending because their concentration span is too short for patience?

Do you expect clubs to have a running commentary on everything that's happening?

And, excuse me for pointing this out, but doesn't winning the league with a game to spare count as positive news?

Stop panicking - save it until Christmas at least.

We'll leave it in your capable hands then🤔

So no need to panic apparently 🤔😉

• Like 1