Fri 18th Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils KO 19:45

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/23 at 19:15

22 hours ago, Yonder Province said:

That's me done for the season now, good luck with the bumper crowd next Sunday.

Rowley had us completely worked out and proved (once again) to be the far superior coach.

I know an ever diminishing group of 'loyal' supporters can still see a future under Watson.

For me, Robbo in asap, let this nonsense stop right now. 

The Giants are very predictable and have been found out this season.

Watson needs to try something else other than 5 drives and a kick into the clouds hoping a winger or full back will drop the ball

There tactics rarely change even when they are behind. Same old. Same old

23 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

I hope you are not including me in your group of moaners meast, I do put my opinions up but they sometimes give credit to Watson as well as the opposite.

The last line of your post seems to sum it up for me, That seems to be the attitude of the whole club, If we keep throwing money at it eventually our turn will come.

My question to you meast is, If it were Wigan, Saints , Wolves, Hull and some others do you honestly believe he would still be there with his record . anyway he's had three of his five now near enough, lets hope next season it starts to come right, they are all his choice of players.

I am just as big a fan as you meast and i want things to work out just as much, from what i have seen so far i just don't think he is the man to do it, I hope i'm wrong mate.

No, not at all, it was a general throwaway comment aimed at the general fanbase.

I'm not a fans of repeatedly changing coaches, every coach has their own idea's philosophies, tactics, ways etc and I believe they should be given plenty of time to put those ideas and ways into practice, I don't believe it can be done in 18-24 months, hence the reason Watson was given a 5 year contract to implement all these things into the playing squad(s).

Of course I understand that many fans have very little patience when their own expectations are high, but sport doesn't work that way, constantly changing coaches and therefore, players, staff, ideas etc isn't sustainable financially and in a sporting way.

That's my take on it anyway, others are quite rightly entitled to their own.

As for the question, then possibly not as the expectations of those clubs are probably, quite rightly higher than our own, there's no doubt Ken and the board are passionate and desperate to win a trophy soon, but Wigan and Saints apart, all the clubs seem to struggle with a playing identity, chopping and changing coaches won't help either, that's the idea of our board giving Watto a 5 year deal to put something into place.

13 minutes ago, meast said:

No, not at all, it was a general throwaway comment aimed at the general fanbase.

I'm not a fans of repeatedly changing coaches, every coach has their own idea's philosophies, tactics, ways etc and I believe they should be given plenty of time to put those ideas and ways into practice, I don't believe it can be done in 18-24 months, hence the reason Watson was given a 5 year contract to implement all these things into the playing squad(s).

Of course I understand that many fans have very little patience when their own expectations are high, but sport doesn't work that way, constantly changing coaches and therefore, players, staff, ideas etc isn't sustainable financially and in a sporting way.

That's my take on it anyway, others are quite rightly entitled to their own.

As for the question, then possibly not as the expectations of those clubs are probably, quite rightly higher than our own, there's no doubt Ken and the board are passionate and desperate to win a trophy soon, but Wigan and Saints apart, all the clubs seem to struggle with a playing identity, chopping and changing coaches won't help either, that's the idea of our board giving Watto a 5 year deal to put something into place.

Fair comment mate, Lets see what next year brings.

• Like 1

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

On 19/08/2023 at 10:00, meast said:

Out of interest, why would you bring Robbo in asap?

Robbo has been an integral part of the coaching set up for a few years now under various head coaches, all who have failed to satisfy the needs of many Giants fans, a lot of people seem to think changing head coaches every 2/3 years is eventually going to work out, so why would you want an assistant who has been part of that constant road of failure to be the one who can finally deliver success, or whatever it is you want?

Genuine question by the way, I love Robbo but not sure he'd be the right bloke to get a tune out of a Giants squad that are deemed to be failing again.

To satisfy your interest, I consider that promoting Robbo would be the quickest and most cost effective way to rid us of Watson and bring some cheer back to the supporters.

By your own admission we're on a 'constant road of failure' and the 'Giants squad are deemed to be failing again'. So if that does not indicate change is needed what does?

Would Robbo turn out to be the correct appointment? At this stage no one really knows, but you must have the patience of Jobe to continually defend the current coach.

On 19/08/2023 at 10:00, meast said:

Out of interest, why would you bring Robbo in asap?

Robbo has been an integral part of the coaching set up for a few years now under various head coaches, all who have failed to satisfy the needs of many Giants fans, a lot of people seem to think changing head coaches every 2/3 years is eventually going to work out, so why would you want an assistant who has been part of that constant road of failure to be the one who can finally deliver success, or whatever it is you want?

Genuine question by the way, I love Robbo but not sure he'd be the right bloke to get a tune out of a Giants squad that are deemed to be failing again.

To satisfy your interest, I consider that promoting Robbo would be the quickest and most cost effective way to rid us of Watson and bring some cheer back to the supporters.

By your own admission we're on a 'constant road of failure' and the 'Giants squad are deemed to be failing again'. So if that does not indicate change is needed what does?

Would Robbo turn out to be the correct appointment? At this stage no one really knows, but you must have the patience of Jobe to continually defend the current coach.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you think Robbo would be a cheap option, would it not be more cost effective to keep the current incumbent in rather than having to spend yet more money paying a coach off?

I gather you're not a Watson fan? Fair enough.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, I meant that despite changing head coaches every 2 years or so, the fans still have us as failing, my point was, would keeping a head coach on for a longer period and maybe putting mechanics in place whereby his assistant(s) or promote from within, could then step up knowing the systems and players and the club itself rather than bringing new people in all the time?

I know it's probably not a popular opinion but maybe the club think this could be the best way?

Who knows?

1 hour ago, meast said:

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you think Robbo would be a cheap option, would it not be more cost effective to keep the current incumbent in rather than having to spend yet more money paying a coach off?

I gather you're not a Watson fan? Fair enough.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, I meant that despite changing head coaches every 2 years or so, the fans still have us as failing, my point was, would keeping a head coach on for a longer period and maybe putting mechanics in place whereby his assistant(s) or promote from within, could then step up knowing the systems and players and the club itself rather than bringing new people in all the time?

I know it's probably not a popular opinion but maybe the club think this could be the best way?

Who knows?

Indeed, I'm certain you will be proved right with your final analysis.

It would seem clear that Ken is quite happy now to allow Watson, not only to serve the full term of his contract, but to carry on with his bizarre recruitment policy also.

I hope it works and I'm proved wrong.

But I'm just getting more than a waft of the Garry Schofield / John Sharp 'Kings new clothes' years to feel comfortable.

Only time will tell. 

Edited by Yonder Province
spelling
  • Like 1