A look to 2024

Indigogo

16 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Does anyone know when the fixtures are being released? and what the position is regarding Newcastle?

I think they are released on Monday 03rd December. Championships are released then and presume we are aligned with them considering the new format of the 1895 cup.

• Like 1

Newcastle Thunder hold another fans forum/update on Monday 4th December. 

I cannot see any fixtures being released until it is finalised if they are in,or out,of the 2024 campaign. 

If the season ain't starting until March, maybe January is when the fixtures are released.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

15 minutes ago, Dovster said:

1895 cup gives us two potentially good home games against Dewsbury and the bulls which is nice.

Hopefully brightens up February for us.

That should do us great. I don't expect to beat Bulls but hopefully we will be more competitive than we were at their spot this season. Dewsbury will be a good tie, will be interesting to see how we get on against the newly promoted side. 

Oldham (H) - 26th Dec - 1PM KO

Castleford (H) - 14th Jan - 2PM KO

Dewsbury (H) - 28th Jan - 3PM KO

Bradford (H) - 18th Feb - 3PM KO

That leaves is with a fixture against Fax that is yet to be announced. I would presume that it's 20th/21st January at the Shay, but that's me guessing. Then 10th/11th Feb we will be in the Challenge Cup. Can't wait for some rugby now (even more so if we sign a hooker before!)

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

Looks like Halifax at home on the 21st January at home 1pm ko.

So many home games to start the season especially if we get one in the challenge cup. Let's hope we hit the ground running. 

Potentially 6 home games before the league has even started. We certainly can't complain if we are drawn away in the Challenge Cup.

I'm sure the club will be happy and hopefully plenty of decent crowds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2023 at 00:17, Indigogo said:

It's been a while but another signing announced today. Brandon Pickersgill signs from Fax on a 3 year deal and it's hard to see how he's not going to be our first choice full back for 2024 and beyond. Personally, absolutely made up with the signing and a top replacement for Lewis Young. If we can sign a 9 to along with Kesik I'd be confident of promotion going into this season. Let's hope the club have one more deal in them 😅

Up to 23 now. I'd take a 9 and couple of the trialist to make 26/27 and be happy with that.

Pickersgill, Thomas, Walkely, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Josh Martin joins for 2024. An outside back that can play pretty much play anywhere in the backline and will be a useful addition. He's already had a season in England with Whitehaven in 2022 and it sounds like he was pretty good for them.

24 signed on with the 5 trialists. 

Pickersgill, Thomas, Walkely, Martin, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

On 16/12/2023 at 14:01, Indigogo said:

Josh Martin joins for 2024. An outside back that can play pretty much play anywhere in the backline and will be a useful addition. He's already had a season in England with Whitehaven in 2022 and it sounds like he was pretty good for them.

Pickersgill, Thomas, Walkely, Martin, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

It was announced today that 3 trialists have joined the club on part time contracts (aren't they all part time contracts?!). Liam Copland, Max Lambourne and Aaron Harlow-Stephenson. Copland and Harlow-Stephenson are both recovering from ACLs, so I'd imagine they're well down the pecking order to start with but hopefully they're fit and able soon. Max Lambourne a young lad that was in the Cas set up, nice that we are able to give him an opportunity.

Up to 27 with those 3 additions and I'd say we are almost there squad wise. Hopefully we are on the look out for a 9 should one be available at some point.

Pickersgill, Thomas, Walkely, Martin, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Copland, Lambourne Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Harlow-Stephenson, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Looking at squad numbers is it just a preference that foggin Johnston is number 25. Can't see a 19 yo utility back (Walkley) been our first choice winger.

Cant help thinking were a bit Dad's army in the centres at both 35 and over. Powerful when fit but at that age you don't recover from knocks like you could when younger. Hopefully we have enough cover. 

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

Looking at squad numbers is it just a preference that foggin Johnston is number 25. Can't see a 19 yo utility back (Walkley) been our first choice winger.

Cant help thinking were a bit Dad's army in the centres at both 35 and over. Powerful when fit but at that age you don't recover from knocks like you could when younger. Hopefully we have enough cover. 

Not sure on the reason for DFJ being 25, maybe it is his own preference. Maybe Walkley has come in during pre season and shown he's going to be a great asset to the club. Who knows? They are just numbers at the end of the day.

I get the concern with the age of the centres, however, they're probably 2 of the fittest members of the squad. Ryder is PT and Sa'u is the ultimate professional, even now. As far as I know neither have had any long term injuries in the past either.  Saying that, Josh Martin has signed and him and Charlie Graham can both cover at centre if needs be with plenty of options for the wing position.

20 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

Ryder and Sa'u are probably two of the most professional players you'll ever find. Dad's army lol. 

47 minutes ago, footlongsub said:

I say it again, Bishop is the 9, surely.

I don't think he is the 9, he's not even fit to play at the moment. He's also in Australia as we speak, so will be behind the rest of the squad in terms of general fitness. Kes will be starting 9 and then at the moment I think it will be Stead as the bench hooker. It's the one position we need to improve imo.

51 minutes ago, footlongsub said:

Ryder and Sa'u are probably two of the most professional players you'll ever find. Dad's army lol. 

Ryder only just gone 34 and is a PT. Sa'u the ultimate professional. The centres are not a worry for me at the moment.

3 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I don't think he is the 9, he's not even fit to play at the moment. He's also in Australia as we speak, so will be behind the rest of the squad in terms of general fitness. Kes will be starting 9 and then at the moment I think it will be Stead as the bench hooker. It's the one position we need to improve imo.

Probably yeah but Bishop has got to be the 9 surely. The cover in the halves is brilliant and Pickersgill at 1 surely pushes Thomas back in to 6/7 with Stead, Dean and super Jack. No other space for Bish but Hooker.

8 hours ago, footlongsub said:

Probably yeah but Bishop has got to be the 9 surely. The cover in the halves is brilliant and Pickersgill at 1 surely pushes Thomas back in to 6/7 with Stead, Dean and super Jack. No other space for Bish but Hooker.

Once he's fit I think Bishop will be in the halves with Jack. Stead the bench 9 and then Thomas/Dean/Walkley to provide cover at full back and in the halves. There's plenty of options, which is always a good thing.

Let's hope there's no injury to Kesik in training or pre season, we would be really up against it at 9.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2023 at 14:01, Indigogo said:

Josh Martin leaves to return back to Australia without playing a game.

Pickersgill, Thomas, Walkely, Copland, Lambourne, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Harlow-Stephenson, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

2 hours ago, Buzzer90 said:

Probably thought better of it after last month or so of weather…

Can't blame him, it's been grim. At least it's plenty of time before the season starts and suitable replacements can be sourced if deemed necessary!

Just seen that Brandon Moore has left Halifax and is looking for a new club. Would this be the player we need to complete our squad. As said in previous messages it's a position we are really lacking in. Kesik didnt look anywhere near fit against Oldham and although he works hard and tackles hard he certainly lacks that pace that good hookers cause defences problems