Super League Finances-Haggis's Big Mystified Questions and Answerss

May I ask for some answers from the collective knowledge of the forum, please?

A number of questions have arose after persuading, selling and convincing friends and colleagues to attend Salford rugby league games.

To blow my own horn, I have gone from attending alone (since I returned in 2008) to getting seven newbies (four adults, three kids) and one returnee and another who'd been my occasional match going accompany, becoming full time home and away. All have season tickets now if you are reading Mr King at Solly.

This spurt of enthusiasm has found me struggling to answer some questions about Super League. Whilst the Laws are OKish to answer (despite the machinations of officialdom), queries about structure and finances elude me.

So for the benefit of them, me and maybe wider RL "fandom" may I ask the following-

1. What is the current amount of Sky TV money and is it paid incrementally or not?

2. Do clubs get a separate fee for individual Sky TV appearance and if so how much?

3. What amounts do clubs get from the BBC/Channel Four screening games?

4. What is the current SL salary cap?

5. And what are the SL salary caps and exemptions? I believe Marquee players is capped at £150K, club raised marquee is £100K and academy raised players at £50K. Is that correct?

6. Is there still an additional RFL payment for English internationals to encourage them to stay in SL?

7. Is there still a relegation parachute payment from SL?

Now I work in a very evidence based research based job so I am used to "digging" my own knowledge, but the apparent lack of transparency in RL means I would be eager for the forum to help out, please.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

30 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

May I ask for some answers from the collective knowledge of the forum, please?

A number of questions have arose after persuading, selling and convincing friends and colleagues to attend Salford rugby league games.

To blow my own horn, I have gone from attending alone (since I returned in 2008) to getting seven newbies (four adults, three kids) and one returnee and another who'd been my occasional match going accompany, becoming full time home and away. All have season tickets now if you are reading Mr King at Solly.

This spurt of enthusiasm has found me struggling to answer some questions about Super League. Whilst the Laws are OKish to answer (despite the machinations of officialdom), queries about structure and finances elude me.

So for the benefit of them, me and maybe wider RL "fandom" may I ask the following-

1. What is the current amount of Sky TV money and is it paid incrementally or not?

2. Do clubs get a separate fee for individual Sky TV appearance and if so how much?

3. What amounts do clubs get from the BBC/Channel Four screening games?

4. What is the current SL salary cap?

5. And what are the SL salary caps and exemptions? I believe Marquee players is capped at £150K, club raised marquee is £100K and academy raised players at £50K. Is that correct?

6. Is there still an additional RFL payment for English internationals to encourage them to stay in SL?

7. Is there still a relegation parachute payment from SL?

Now I work in a very evidence based research based job so I am used to "digging" my own knowledge, but the apparent lack of transparency in RL means I would be eager for the forum to help out, please.

I think the current cap and exceptions are pretty easy to find:

https://www.rugby-league.com/salary-cap

2024 changes discussed here: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/12895598/super-league-salary-cap-frozen-for-2024-but-third-marquee-spot-added-for-homegrown-players#:~:text=Club-trained marquee players will,a value of £150%2C000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

On this one: No, their fee is the main Sky payment, they don't get anything additional for appearing on Sky.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone who has chipped in. The hope is to give clarity to all of us, not just myself.

Now I am not sure I am pleased to be reminded in this way, but I also wanted to ask if the profits from Big Events like Magic, etc were shared out to the clubs.

Well, if this is true, then the answer is Yes, or erm perhaps No.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-clubs-warned-potential-27811879