Liverpool St Helens

25 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

It's this sort of attitude that keeps RL a small, regional sport.

Great, thanks. I'd like to think we just have a differing opinion on how best to develop the sport - this particular idea, I disagree with.

25 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Not saying they should have two clubs but either adopting the Liverpool name wouldn't be a bad thing

Some people would see it as a bad thing. Sport is tribal, people are attached to their clubs and their identities (including their names). I can't think of an example of a pro-British sports club suggesting a name change that wasn't bitterly opposed by their fans in the last 100 years.

Your proposal would risk the club's current identity and with it the current fan base without any firm guarantee of significant gain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Only reason Leeds can support football and rugby is because it’s one of biggest cities in uk. Liverpool is small in comparison. 

So you're saying that anywhere football is popular, RL should just forget about it and not have a club there or attempt anything? That would literally relegate RL to a minority sport which it is becoming.

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

So you're saying that RL should just stick to the towns/areas its in now then, let's see how that would pan out in the next few years for the sport. 

To be fair, there is an argument to be made that maybe targeting towns where football isn't big, as a sound strategy. Look at York and Cornwall in terms of their progression.

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

So you're saying that anywhere football is popular, RL should just forget about it and not have a club there or attempt anything? That would literally relegate RL to a minority sport which it is becoming.

I honestly believe and it’s only my opinion no RL club will take off where theirs football as those footy clubs will have been about years and folk can’t afford to watch 2 sports now a days. 

Edited by Rovers13

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely you posted this wanting to be taken seriously 

No I posted it because I think RL and Saints can benefit from it. I didn't think people would agree with me and knew I would be shot down in flames. If I wanted to be taken seriously this would be the last topic I would've picked. 

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

The point I’m getting at is saints and Widnes are not far away if they were interested they would walk up anyway. 

But that audience needs to be engaged first through promotional activities, community initiatives, local RL clubs for that to happen

No I posted it because I think RL and Saints can benefit from it. I didn't think people would agree with me and knew I would be shot down in flames. If I wanted to be taken seriously this would be the last topic I would've picked. 

You asked for people to respond but you don’t seem to be listening to their replies.

• Like 1

Just now, The Daddy said:

But that audience needs to be engaged first through promotional activities, community initiatives, local RL clubs for that to happen

I’d be surprised if a flagship club like saints haven’t extensively tapped into that market already tbh. 

3 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

To be fair, there is an argument to be made that maybe targeting towns where football isn't big, as a sound strategy. Look at York and Cornwall in terms of their progression.

Cornwall will do well because it has someone behind it that is not gonna give up, similar to Derek Beaumont at Leigh. It's the persistence and decisions that makes a club successful not whether a city is soccer mad or not. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Cornwall will do well because it has someone behind it that is not gonna give up, similar to Derek Beaumont at Leigh. It's the persistence and decisions that makes a club successful not whether a city is soccer mad or not. Just my opinion. 

Your club in a huge city if it’s not football why are you not huge? 

Well the whole argument boils down to wealthy investors thrn doesn't it. I'm sure if you can find someone with a couple of billion to waste you could probably make it work on the Isle of Wight.

I'm listening and replying to everyone some are good factual responses others not. 

You never answered my question as to whether you have been to Liverpool and St Helens and talked to people about your idea?

I think it would help broaden your horizons on this issue.

Maybe that kind of fact finding mission could help shape your contributions.

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

Your club in a huge city if it’s not football why are you not huge? 

Sorry, I don't understand your point fully. But our club is not successful due to some poor decisions, not having a permanent base or club colours or identity.

12 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

An aside I know, but York joined the Northern Union in 1898. They have been in the top division and won the Yorkshire cup multiple times. The current phoenix club is a continuation of the original club in the same way as Bradford or Hunslet.

I really don't understand why they are consistently considered some form of expansion club.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't understand your point fully. But our club is not successful due to some poor decisions, not having a permanent base or club colours or identity.

Your club as never Been huge and never will be is my point because your in a football hotbed. If I’m wrong I will admit it 10 years down line but I believe this will come to pass. 

You never answered my question as to whether you have been to Liverpool and St Helens and talked to people about your idea?

I think it would help broaden your horizons on this issue.

Maybe that kind of fact finding mission could help shape your contributions.

I've been to those places and never raised this topic with locals, I'm raising it here though. 

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

An aside I know, but York joined the Northern Union isln 1898. They have been in the top division and won the Yorkshire cup multiple times. The current phoenix club is a continuation of the original club in the same way as Bradford or Hunslet.

I really don't understand why they are consistently considered some form of expansion club.

I know the old cliche is that RL started in 1996 but in the current climate, the summer game is so far removed to what came before it, commercially and financially, that you kind of have to apply that filter to it.

I've been to those places and never raised this topic with locals, I'm raising it here though. 

Try RedVee too - start a thread maybe.

After all what you are proposing greatly affects them.

If they agree with you regarding changing the name to Liverpool St Helens then you will be vindicated.

Otherwise you will not…

Try RedVee too - start a thread maybe.

After all what you are proposing greatly affects them.

If they agree with you regarding changing the name to Liverpool St Helens then you will be vindicated.

Otherwise you will not…

Maybe I'll do that then. 

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I know the old cliche is that RL started in 1996 but in the current climate, the summer game is so far removed to what came before it, commercially and financially, that you kind of have to apply that filter to it.

Not targeting you particularly here, but this seems to apply to York in a way it doesn't to all the other clubs who haven't been in Super League since '96.

• Like 1