Batley game Boxing Day.

graham fisher

22 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

I agree with these guys too - they put a lot into the game and made a clear impact, it was good to watch from your side .

I do really question the input of some of the more regular Dewsbury forwards and believe they hide (which caused a lot of the issues last season), but I’m not naming particular names. People who watch should know anyway.

But as an ex-amateur player I know it is easy for forwards to look busy but avoid really getting involved and making an impact- they stand behind the line slightly with hands on knees to avoid the pass/play and then come in as the second or third tackler to just keep their knees dirty but don’t like taking the player down first. And any plodder can charge into a few players to make 10 yards. I’m being miserable here I know 🤣 but this is for me where we’re losing out but it doesn’t get spotted by the coaching team. 

And I know: ‘easy said from the stands’ but I keep my eye on certain players throughout the game and it really becomes obvious.

I think it’s an harsh call. The forwards are predominantly a young group of men learning on the job. There is no doubt that this season is going to be very tough. To make accusations of hiding is IMO a bit disrespectful. I agree that any team can make improvements. If you were privy to the individual player match day stats such as tackles made it my alter your point of view. It could just be that you don’t fancy a particular player and others do. To try and offer some form of perspective a club down the road will be in the same league operating on a playing budget of 1.4 million. I would like to see us all stick together, support the staff and offer up individual positivity throughout the course of the forthcoming season.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What exactly were these "issues"?

These are the issues for me, but there were many, many good points - but focussing on the development areas is the best way forward to improve imo.

1. defensively in the front line there were gaps even though players were in position, which allowed teams to break through easily. This shouldn’t happen. Players need to ’attack’ everything at all times.

2. There was a lack of executed set plays. Largely because of a lack of co-ordination in the line + ‘missing’ players. This resulted in a lot of missed opportunities and the ball being handed over. Was frustrating at times as we should have scored a lot more points.

3. a lack of communication (normal with young teams) but it did seem it was get the ball and then look at what options were available. And in defence it could be a scramble.

4. Players didn’t seem to be where they should be and so it was all uncoordinated.

I am being picky, they smashed it last season. But we need these things ironing out in the championship if we want to stand a chance. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I think it’s an harsh call. The forwards are predominantly a young group of men learning on the job. There is no doubt that this season is going to be very tough. To make accusations of hiding is IMO a bit disrespectful. I agree that any team can make improvements. If you were privy to the individual player match day stats such as tackles made it my alter your point of view. It could just be that you don’t fancy a particular player and others do. To try and offer some form of perspective a club down the road will be in the same league operating on a playing budget of 1.4 million. I would like to see us all stick together, support the staff and offer up individual positivity throughout the course of the forthcoming season.

Agreed.

But it is a forum to discuss stuff like this, not just praise and say all fine. I’m just discussing 

15 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

These are the issues for me, but there were many, many good points - but focussing on the development areas is the best way forward to improve imo.

1. defensively in the front line there were gaps even though players were in position, which allowed teams to break through easily. This shouldn’t happen. Players need to ’attack’ everything at all times.

2. There was a lack of executed set plays. Largely because of a lack of co-ordination in the line + ‘missing’ players. This resulted in a lot of missed opportunities and the ball being handed over. Was frustrating at times as we should have scored a lot more points.

3. a lack of communication (normal with young teams) but it did seem it was get the ball and then look at what options were available. And in defence it could be a scramble.

4. Players didn’t seem to be where they should be and so it was all uncoordinated.

I am being picky, they smashed it last season. But we need these things ironing out in the championship if we want to stand a chance. 

I must have been at a different game.   Thought defence was outstanding and since Batley had  a 25-9 advantage in the “penalty” count and only scored two tries I can’t see how it could have been otherwise 

10 minutes ago, NickD said:

I must have been at a different game.   Thought defence was outstanding and since Batley had  a 25-9 advantage in the “penalty” count and only scored two tries I can’t see how it could have been otherwise 

Think he was talking last season as a whole rather than the boxing day game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1