Challenge Cup - Group Stage draw

Semi-final Draw (as seen on TV)

St Helens v York Valkyrie
Wigan v Leeds

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/04/2024 at 21:20, The Blues Ox said:

We should get the final that most people will want to see so its hard to argue with that.

Also again...bloody huddersfield.

Hopefully Leeds v York 

On 14/04/2024 at 21:20, The Blues Ox said:

We should get the final that most people will want to see so its hard to argue with that.

You mean most people in Yorkshire.

23 minutes ago, WRLFan said:

Hopefully Leeds v York 

Saints v Wigan for the more sophisticated supporter.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WRLFan said:

Just can’t see Wigan beating Leeds

Saints v York is tough to call

Valkyrie v Saints this Sunday (1st round of WSL) live on the Sportsman at 12 ..... nice start to season 😃

12 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Valkyrie v Saints this Sunday (1st round of WSL) live on the Sportsman at 12 ..... nice start to season 😃

Hard to judge Saints at the moment. All their 2024 competitive games have resembled attack training drills. Certainly look slick and fluent. Hope they don't clam up on Sunday. A tight game favours York.

8 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Saints will have a much better backline this year. Last season it looked a bit inexperienced and a couple were out of position. The return of Burke and Woosey plus the signing of Salihi will make a big difference. Their forwards are slower than Leeds and York. 

Fixed that for you - Saints pack looked a bit one paced last year, and I don't see that changing this year. 

Whilst I agree that the massacres that Saints and Valkyrie have inflicted on opponents in the cup so far are no real indication of how Sunday's fixture will go, I've been impressed with the Valk's line speed this year. Having a fast and mobile middle forward in Alex Stimpson returning after two years, and an ex-winger in Kelsey Gentles joining the forwards will give their pack some zip.

13 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Maybe you’ve got a point. I think York will sneak it on Sunday but Saints will win the semi-final. 

Wasn't meaning to be snarky - just get a little frustrated about the fawning media coverage that Saints get 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

Wasn't meaning to be snarky - just get a little frustrated about the fawning media coverage that Saints get 😀

Yeah as things stand I think we have a very clear top 2 followed by Wigan and Saints. I can't see anything but comfortable wins for York in both games against Saints. Hudds getting another tough test tonight and 66 points start on the handicap. Going on their last 2 outings it could be another embarrasingly large defeat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah as things stand I think we have a very clear top 2 followed by Wigan and Saints. I can't see anything but comfortable wins for York in both games against Saints. Hudds getting another tough test tonight and 66 points start on the handicap. Going on their last 2 outings it could be another embarrasingly large defeat.

Richard's point about Saints' backline improving is valid, and I really don't see them being much behind York and Leeds (and capable of turning them over). I just think that Leeds (with heft added to their pack in Shona Hoyle and Grace Field) and York, with their well coached knack of squeezing the life out of opponents, have the ability to deprive them of the field position to make it count.

• Like 2

Ha don’t worry, I didn’t think you were being snarky, RBK!

fwiw, I think Saints are probably still the best team, marginally ahead of York with Leeds very slightly behind them. But they are all capable of sweeping the board if a bit of luck goes their way. 

I think Saints have the best quartet of props and probably the best back row. In terms of 6, 7 & 9, they trail Leeds & York, but they also have a playmaking loose forward in Jodie which the other teams don’t have. 

There’s little between the three teams when it comes to outside backs. I like York’s backline the best probably, with Partington and Roberts great additions. But even when Saints had such a weak backline, they beat Leeds and York to win the cup. And in the women’s game, with the Wembley factor, the challenge cup is the big one. 

Home advantage should see York win on Sunday even without Peach, but the cup semi is too close to call with any confidence. It could come down to the availability of players like Elisa Akpa & Lucie Sams, two great props who aren’t with their clubs yet. 

17 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Ha don’t worry, I didn’t think you were being snarky, RBK!

fwiw, I think Saints are probably still the best team, marginally ahead of York with Leeds very slightly behind them. But they are all capable of sweeping the board if a bit of luck goes their way. 

I think Saints have the best quartet of props and probably the best back row. In terms of 6, 7 & 9, they trail Leeds & York, but they also have a playmaking loose forward in Jodie which the other teams don’t have. 

There’s little between the three teams when it comes to outside backs. I like York’s backline the best probably, with Partington and Roberts great additions. But even when Saints had such a weak backline, they beat Leeds and York to win the cup. And in the women’s game, with the Wembley factor, the challenge cup is the big one. 

Home advantage should see York win on Sunday even without Peach, but the cup semi is too close to call with any confidence. It could come down to the availability of players like Elisa Akpa & Lucie Sams, two great props who aren’t with their clubs yet. 

We are rather fond of Rhiannon Marshall at York ..... and we don't argue with her 😆

Look out for Kelsey Gentles.... from winger to prop . The women's game's answer to Reuben Wiki !