Challenge Cup

POR

The draws for Rounds 3 and 4 of the Betfred Challenge Cup will be streamed on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app live from the DCBL Stadium, home of Widnes Vikings, on Monday 29 January, 6.30pm.

32 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Thatto Heath are one of the better teams in the NCL Premier division. IIRC we last played them at the same stage in the 2013 CC, beating them 76-6 at home.

Correct and the attendance was 735.

• Haha 1

So with the third and fourth rounds drawn, we can make a reasonable guess about which eight teams will playoff in the 5th round for the four spots to play SL clubs in the 6th round:

Batley, Featherstone, Cornwall/Amateur club, Bradford, Barrow, Wakefield, Halifax, York/Sheffield.

Looking at the 1895 Cup quarter final possibilities, I'd say:

1. Barrow. 2. Bradford 3. Wakefield & York 4. Oldham 5. Featherstone (or Batley 6. Widnes 7. Sheffield (or Doncaster).

We'll have to beat Batley, Thatto Heath and Keighley (or Hunslet) in February to get fixtures for the first two weekends in March for these two knockout cups.

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

So with the third and fourth rounds drawn, we can make a reasonable guess about which eight teams will playoff in the 5th round for the four spots to play SL clubs in the 6th round:

I still think it's really poor that SL clubs don't enter the comp until the 6th round. The magic and romance of the Challenge Cup is all about the possibility of an upset, but I wonder how many people have realised how many games there were between SL clubs and lower-league opposition in the Cup last season? The answer is THREE. And with the possibility that two of the four Championship teams that make the 6th round could be drawn against each other (as was the case last year with York v London), it will probably be a similar story again this year.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I still think it's really poor that SL clubs don't enter the comp until the 6th round. The magic and romance of the Challenge Cup is all about the possibility of an upset, but I wonder how many people have realised how many games there were between SL clubs and lower-league opposition in the Cup last season? The answer is THREE. And with the possibility that two of the four Championship teams that make the 6th round could be drawn against each other (as was the case last year with York v London), it will probably be a smilar story again this year.

Agree. It's rubbish. An open draw from the last 32 is the way to go.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Agree. It's rubbish. An open draw from the last 32 is the way to go.

I have been saying this for years. 32 teams into the bag and you take your chance, but SL Clubs selfishness comes before anything. Just another decision they made without any consideration for the lower league and amateur clubs.

• Like 2

Barrow Raiders versus Oldham will be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport online on Saturday 10 February from 12.20pm.

On Sunday The Sportsman will be in Dewsbury, where the Rams take on York Knights in an all-Championship clash (KO 2pm).