Newcastle Thunder v Wakefield Trinity

On 21/02/2024 at 15:31, NETIGER said:

Dual reg over the past 3 seasons is probably the cause of Thunder having to start their team from scratch!

I dunno - they had a fair few contracted players - on contracts that they couldn't afford to continue into 2024.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 21/02/2024 at 15:34, Click said:

Yes, I am sure it is Dual Reg that caused the demise of Thunder. Not about having any money or anything along those lines.

Not questioning about the money. Once that was gone the inevitable happened. My question though what has happened to all their players with academy / reserves / championship experience from say last season and further into the past? having these meant they would have not had to start from scratch with last years academy graduates.

41 minutes ago, NETIGER said:

Not questioning about the money. Once that was gone the inevitable happened. My question though what has happened to all their players with academy / reserves / championship experience from say last season and further into the past?

Off the top of my head, almost all got picked up by other clubs at the end of last season.

Jack Johnson - now at Oldham

Markus Walker - now at Dewsbury

Alex Clegg - ???

Alex Donaghy - now at York

Nikau Williams - now at York

Jay Chapelhow - now at Oldham

Curtis Davies - now at Dewsbury

Connor Bailey - now at York

Denive Balmforth - now at Hull

Ted Chapelhow - now at Oldham

Rob Tuliatu - at Avignon I think

Gideon Boafo - London B

Max Flanagan - Rochdale

Mac Walsh - Hunslet

Jack Miller - Keighley

Edited by JonM

On 23/02/2024 at 12:32, JonM said:

Off the top of my head, almost all got picked up by other clubs at the end of last season.

Alex Clegg - ???

Gideon Boafo - London B

Max Flanagan - Rochdale

Mac Walsh - Hunslet

Jack Miller - Keighley

Only 1 or 2 of those names are ex-academy / scholarship from previous seasons. It's those players that I am refering to. They are neither in your list or any of the teams that Thunder have put out. It looks like 3 years of academy output are nonexistent.

15 minutes ago, NETIGER said:

Only 1 or 2 of those names are ex-academy / scholarship from previous seasons. It's those players that I am refering to. They are neither in your list or any of the teams that Thunder have put out. It looks like 3 years of academy output are nonexistent.

Even the top academy teams typically only have at most a handful of players per year go on into the professional game. Quite a few of their recent academy players seem to be playing university RL now.

4 hours ago, NETIGER said:

Are you even looking?

GGhmf6lWoAA_q4H?format=jpg&name=medium 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2024 at 12:32, JonM said:

Alex Clegg - ???

Gideon Boafo - London B

Max Flanagan - Rochdale

Mac Walsh - Hunslet

Jack Miller - Keighley

Balmforth was a Hull player on loan to NT. He's returned to his original club.

Edited by Gomersall

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Are you even looking?

GGhmf6lWoAA_q4H?format=jpg&name=medium 

What is difficult. The majority of these are last years academy. What has happened to all the academy players from previous seasons and honestly they haven't all signed for other clubs.

8 hours ago, NETIGER said:

What is difficult. The majority of these are last years academy. What has happened to all the academy players from previous seasons and honestly they haven't all signed for other clubs.

How many years of academy graduates to clubs tend to keep running around? 2, 3 years worth?

I expect they moved on years ago after they weren't retained for whatever reason.

9 hours ago, Click said:

How many years of academy graduates to clubs tend to keep running around? 2, 3 years worth?

I expect they moved on years ago after they weren't retained for whatever reason.

Strangely enough, there appears to be the odd released player back. Not sure how Thunder can afford to let players with experience in England, Yorkshire and SL set-ups disappear into the ether.