So what do players want

On 03/03/2024 at 15:19, Hopie said:

I think I could have been clearer, but I would be very surprised if players contracts didn't include bonuses for playing/appearances, so if they don't play they get paid less. What club would offer a contract that had no incentive to play the game?

They do but it’s a tiny percentage of their wages. 

On 03/03/2024 at 13:58, Dave T said:

I do think this is being somewhat overstated. Players appeal for decisions, they always have. I find it relatively easy to ignore it tbh and it just doesn't bother me. 

I find it funny because rugby - of either code - tends to get held up as a model.of fair play when people rail against the cynicism and theatrics in soccer, where that's not as much the case as you'd think.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Are you sure about that? I'm sure I remember clubs getting into trouble due to competition bonuses.

https://www.rugby-league.com/salary-cap

DISPENSATIONS

The key dispensations are:

• Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained);
  • Club Trained Dispensation – Each Super League club is given up to £100,000 of dispensation for producing Super League standard players;
  • Player Welfare Dispensation – Each Super League Club that achieves the player welfare target is given a £15,000 dispensation;
  • New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;
  • Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year;
  • International Bonuses – Bonuses paid for international representation are excluded up to specified maximums;
  • Educational fees paid directly by Clubs are excluded; and
  • Prize money – Payments made out of prize money are excluded.

I'm maybe mistaken, but I've a memory of an international bonus putting a club over, maybe Wigan? There's every chance its changed since I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm maybe mistaken, but I've a memory of an international bonus putting a club over, maybe Wigan? There's every chance its changed since I suppose. 

Saints went over when Ade Gardner (I think played for GB/England and his contracted bonus put them over. 

2 hours ago, N2022 said:

I find it funny because rugby - of either code - tends to get held up as a model.of fair play when people rail against the cynicism and theatrics in soccer, where that's not as much the case as you'd think.

In all sports, things were cleaner and fairer back in the day according to some. Ignoring the fact that players like Jason Robinson were wriggling around like a fish out of water to try and milk a penalty 25-30 years ago.

Just like football fans refuse to acknowledge that players they grew up watching would dive once in a while 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think normal bonuses are included in the cap.

International bonuses and also money paid through winning something (i.e CC or SL title) aren't included

Sure, that makes sense. You can’t penalise a club for representative appearances and/or prize money. That would be insanity… then again… this is RL, so I won’t rule it out 😂 

Edited by Sports Prophet