Fans fourm

sb01

6 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Jim Quinn was that man. CH didn't ruin it, he kept it in a coma on life support.  Thank goodness he did because we were waiting for the right time for Fordy and Bill Quinn et al to bring a new dawn. As for his time at widnes? Fans are fickle and at the moment they are 4 from 4 unbeaten. If and when 'the project' brings life back to rugby league in Oldham, then I will forgive the last twenty five years of drudgery. 

Kept it in a coma and on life support but also chased away the same guy saving us now 15 years ago? He set this club back years and gave it no chance to improve.

• Like 3

how ch must have suffered all those 26 years waiting for someone to come and save the club

all those people pretending they wanted to help then letting him down.

must have been soul destroying just look. how frail he had gone.

anyway he must be happy that this great burden as now been lifted of his shoulders.

good riddance ch.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tandle said:

how ch must have suffered all those 26 years waiting for someone to come and save the club

all those people pretending they wanted to help then letting him down.

must have been soul destroying just look. how frail he had gone.

anyway he must be happy that this great burden as now been lifted of his shoulders.

good riddance ch.

Exactly.....good riddance 

• Like 2

Having read this, I feel compelled to comment on some of the issues raised in this thread.

Oldham RLFC did engage with the community, and the clubs, but not as much as probably the club wanted. This was probably down to finance and having a small volunteer base. I can remember that Two Bobs did an excellent job in schools and within the clubs, and others did the same.  There were also rugby camps that were supported by local coaches and players, again very successful.

On the return to Whitebank, Oldham had two seasons of curtain raisers most home games (on average adding 150 plus to the gate), even taking local sides to the LSV for the Northern Rail games. I think the curtain raiser yielded over 500 tickets sold for the game against Featherstone in 2009 at the LSV.

Do we forget how the reserve side got up and running in 2008 ? That was a combination of the Service Area, the time and the hard work Houghy put in as well as the community coaches. It was only the RFL that put the halt on the reserve teams, when Oldham started yielding positive results through Houghy, Leo Casey, Ashy, Phil Costin etc. Steve Nield, Phil Joy, Michael Ward, Dave Cookson, Chris Clarke  as well as other local lads coming through. 

A lot of work was done by volunteers and employees, and to be said that nothing was done is completely incorrect.

I do have a question though. Who 'sold' Two Bobs, Danny Halliwell, James Coyle and Dave Allen in 2009 as Oldham was preparing for the play offs and probably being favourites to gain promotion ?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/another-blow-for-crisis-hit-oldham

Oldham have a fantastic future ahead, and the engagement with everyone has been first class, long may it continue. But to keep condemning people with untruths is not the way to go.

Edited by oldhamer
  • Like 3

Oldhamer can I just put you straight ch sold the players after bill quinn was forced to resign as ch had personally cheated him out of monies,I’m told there was money available until the end of the season but ch sold the players and received cash from barrow, also all you mention that the club did was when BQ was there,if you have any doubts about my information then ask BQ, I understand he let ch pay him only for shares over several years so the club was not affected, 

for me the past should stay where it is, thank god BQ has come back to show his worth to the supporters as that’s who always mattered to him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OLDHAM1876 said:

Oldhamer can I just put you straight ch sold the players after bill quinn was forced to resign as ch had personally cheated him out of monies,I’m told there was money available until the end of the season but ch sold the players and received cash from barrow, also all you mention that the club did was when BQ was there,if you have any doubts about my information then ask BQ, I understand he let ch pay him only for shares over several years so the club was not affected, 

for me the past should stay where it is, thank god BQ has come back to show his worth to the supporters as that’s who always mattered to him.

Was you involved in the club at the time ? Were you involved in any of those discussions ? Did you witness any of those promises ? 

I am all for the past being the past, and I hope lessons have been learned and Oldham become successful.  

I am sure BQ can prove this. However, I was merely pointing out that there was a comment made that no community engagement had been done by the previous club. That is something I can prove 110% is not correct.

I asked the question about the players being sold, as there was and is so many stories going around on what really did happen. 

Edited by oldhamer

I appreciate what your saying but it was BQ trying to engage as is happening now, BQ has and is very transparent and at fans forum I’m sure he would answer any questions to clarify which story is correct.

I applaud everything what is happening at the moment. Long may it continue. It just annoys me that when someone comes out with a strong statement as BQ did, ensure the facts at 100% correct as there has been some very good people who put 110% into community work as volunteers with very little reward.

Edited by oldhamer

What was the strong statement?

I would suggest you re try to connect with BQ if you feel strongly, regards volunteers I believe BQ has introduced a employee of the month which has been won by two volunteers who have been recognised and rewarded, I didn’t see that happening in the past?

The statement that in 2009-10 there was no connection with the community. It isn't reward or recognition people wanted, it is respect. In addition, that there was a reserves that was fielded by a good sprinkling of local players that progressed to first team level. It was a 'local' pathway of such. This seems to be forgotten. 

I have no axe to grind with BQ, the club or no one. I have no desire to re-connect with BQ, having done so in the past.

Volunteers are the backbone of clubs like Oldham, and it is good to see people recognised. 

Edited by oldhamer

Oldhamer, BQ said previously there was a situation that ch did not want to engage with fans or the community, I’m sure he would know that better than me or anyone, I also know it was BQ investment and desire to have a reserve side at that time, I think BQ and the board very much appreciates the hardwork everyone puts into the running of the club, I think there would be lots of other clubs wishing BQ and this board were at there clubs at present.let’s look forward and support each other and the massive effort by so many to get this great club to where it belongs.

13 hours ago, oldhamer said:

However, I was merely pointing out that there was a comment made that no community engagement had been done by the previous club. That is something I can prove 110% is not correct.

What about the way CH treated Limehurst Lions?. He wanted them to pay rent to use Whitebank when he had no right to do so. He had no intention of getting involved with the Community at all, only concerned about how much money he could get. Thankfully, Hollinwood Cricket Club came to the Lions rescue and they have gone from strength to strength since they moved there.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Curlywurly2 said:

What about the way CH treated Limehurst Lions?. He wanted them to pay rent to use Whitebank when he had no right to do so. He had no intention of getting involved with the Community at all, only concerned about how much money he could get. Thankfully, Hollinwood Cricket Club came to the Lions rescue and they have gone from strength to strength since they moved there.

I don't know what happened there with charging rent, but I can tell you 110% that it was CH was the catalyst of getting that team up an running in that community. I can remember a presentation that was done in the Social Club prior to the launch on Wednesday evening, and then the subsequent sessions that Michael Ward and other volunteer coaches did on the pitch at Whitebank in the many weeks after.

Yes, it is great to see that the Lions are going from strength to strength, may it continue.

Edited by oldhamer

14 hours ago, oldhamer said:

I applaud everything what is happening at the moment. Long may it continue. It just annoys me that when someone comes out with a strong statement as BQ did, ensure the facts at 100% correct as there has been some very good people who put 110% into community work as volunteers with very little reward.

He was there. I was said to him.