Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Poll: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Warrington (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Draw (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 19 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Changing the by now over argued tempo slightly and going with the question that is supposedly a binding one for all English R/L fans; the four Nations comp at the end of the season.

Did anyone take notice when Hemmings put a pointed question to Micheal Maguire and asked him if the excellent match ( which it was) just seen was as intense as those he had been involved in as assisstant coach at Melbourne, played in the NRL.

McGuire simply replied " yeah it was a great match but : there were a LOT of stoppages"!

Personally I thought that ref Siverwood was the most prominent person on the field and, once again the over bearingness of the officials detracted from a game that was enthralling but could with less pedanticism have been much better.

Watching the NRL is an eye opener and the manner in which the officials ( generally) allow their games to continue is definitely a method that ours should be coming to terms with. Our game is slower for this reason and this reason only and until that aspect gets rectified our rep sides just will not compete for the full 80 minutes with those from down-under.

With all the best will in the world, I don't think the referee could prevent unforced errors from both teams which were the majority of the stoppages.

I personally thought it was an average game, Wigan were under par and Warrington in the main (aside from Wood and Briers who were excellent) only marginally better so deserving of the win. Both can and will play a lot better this season.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#162 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 19 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With all the best will in the world, I don't think the referee could prevent unforced errors from both teams which were the majority of the stoppages.

I personally thought it was an average game, Wigan were under par and Warrington in the main (aside from Wood and Briers who were excellent) only marginally better so deserving of the win. Both can and will play a lot better this season.
Couldn't agree more. I didn't see the ref as a big issue, I saw the forward's ball control as the big issue and the main factor that made the game stop-start.

When the players kept hold of it they did some good stuff, but the retention was appalling from both sides at different stages of the game.

#163 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Auntie Linzi Morris @ Jul 19 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've waded through eight pages and am still not sure what all the disagreement is about.

Tomkins being dirty.
Morley being dirty.
Empty seats in the Wire end.
Empty seats in the Wigan stands.
Town populations (Wire can't even finish in the top 4 of that!).
Late challenges on passers.
Late challengers on kickers.
Warrington born fan supporting Wigan.
Pies.

Think that covers it.

#164 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 19 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just do not agree with yours or DaveTs assessment in this matter. I am sure you both watch the NRL and possibly as avidly as myself, surely you must ( if that applies) recognise the absolute difference in the games continuity, there and here?

I agree with you both on the aspect of unforced errors in the match in question and which occur in the NRL to although mainly, not as consistently.
But the overriding emphasis of stop start games in S/L has in the main to be layed at the feet of overbearing refereeing.
Since the advent of full-time refs here (and in OZ) there has occurred two very distinct differences. In Oz the refs have become (mainly) less prominent and the game has advanced in its spectacle, whilst here it could be stated that the complete opposite is now the dominant factor from our officials.

It seems to be an English/British syndrome and one that seemingly our National psyche always produces when anyone is given a procedure to put into effect, sad but unavoidably so.

#165 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 20 2010, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just do not agree with yours or DaveTs assessment in this matter. I am sure you both watch the NRL and possibly as avidly as myself, surely you must ( if that applies) recognise the absolute difference in the games continuity, there and here?

I agree with you both on the aspect of unforced errors in the match in question and which occur in the NRL to although mainly, not as consistently.
But the overriding emphasis of stop start games in S/L has in the main to be layed at the feet of overbearing refereeing.
Since the advent of full-time refs here (and in OZ) there has occurred two very distinct differences. In Oz the refs have become (mainly) less prominent and the game has advanced in its spectacle, whilst here it could be stated that the complete opposite is now the dominant factor from our officials.

It seems to be an English/British syndrome and one that seemingly our National psyche always produces when anyone is given a procedure to put into effect, sad but unavoidably so.
It would be interesting to know if there are any stats out there comparing stoppages, between the NRL and SL.

Even something as basic as differences in penaltyt counts in the two leagues would be interesting, does anybody have anything.

I don't disagree with your overall point, my comments were purely aimed at Friday's game, which was abit of a freak one tbh in terms of turnovers, and there was also a relatively high penalty count (from memory).

One interesting (or not) point on this is that all NRL games have the VR, and this generally slows games down a fair bit, the Sky games generally last a good 5-10m longer than a non-tv game, so in terms of intensity and pace of the game, I wonder how long the average NRl game goes on for.

#166 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 20 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be interesting to know if there are any stats out there comparing stoppages, between the NRL and SL.

Even something as basic as differences in penaltyt counts in the two leagues would be interesting, does anybody have anything.

I don't disagree with your overall point, my comments were purely aimed at Friday's game, which was abit of a freak one tbh in terms of turnovers, and there was also a relatively high penalty count (from memory).

One interesting (or not) point on this is that all NRL games have the VR, and this generally slows games down a fair bit, the Sky games generally last a good 5-10m longer than a non-tv game, so in terms of intensity and pace of the game, I wonder how long the average NRl game goes on for.

I realise that you and Gwildigo were both more centred upon the game on Friday and as I said , I do also concede that, that game, especially from a Warrington point of view in the first twenty minutes was abject.
I did comment to my wife at that time that schoolboys held the ball better!

On your point concerning the VR in Oz, I contend that in the main they tend to get to the point quicker than ours and especially so when Bentham is adjudicating!

However I cannot believe that you can question either the intensity or pace of the game when placing the NRL and S/L in contension, apart that is from possibly one, two maybe a few more S/L matches over an entire season. Those items are simply and generally incomparable.

#167 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 20 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I realise that you and Gwildigo were both more centred upon the game on Friday and as I said , I do also concede that, that game, especially from a Warrington point of view in the first twenty minutes was abject.
I did comment to my wife at that time that schoolboys held the ball better!

On your point concerning the VR in Oz, I contend that in the main they tend to get to the point quicker than ours and especially so when Bentham is adjudicating!

However I cannot believe that you can question either the intensity or pace of the game when placing the NRL and S/L in contension, apart that is from possibly one, two maybe a few more S/L matches over an entire season. Those items are simply and generally incomparable.

I haven't done that. I was talking about the length of the game, asking a question.

#168 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

Watched the action again on Boot n all.......... same result wink.gif

Great impact tackles from the Wires and FAIR.

Tomkins was just late......silly boy.

Wires, now ready to peak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users