Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Hull FC v Wigan Warriors (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull FC (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Wigan (11 votes [84.62%])

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

3. Draw (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 24 2010, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still think fourth place might be decided at the K.C on the last day of the season despite hulls woeful display last night, but with leeds getting players back every week i would make the trip eastwards with a lot more confidence. Hull fans on here have been honest in their appraisals of the team and after seeing them three times in three weeks i'd say their chances of making any sort of impact on the play offs is fading fast. They certainly missed their big names sat in the stands but even with the likes of o'meley, fitzgibbon, tickle etc available i think they've peaked for this season. I hope they suprise me come play off time, preferrably from fifth spot.

Problem is we seem to be getting some players back and then losing others, can't wait to got to the KC for the last game of the regular season.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#42 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 24 2010, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hull fans on here have been honest in their appraisals of the team

Indeed. After what we've seen for most of the season it's difficult to be anything other than gloomy about our team's chances in most games.

Hull were pitiful last night, but Wigan were great.

I repeat myself again but in the Derby, Hull didn't need coaching. The same big name players were missing but the people who played didn't need telling what to do, they knew what an important game it was.

In a game like last night, they need coaching and that's where my team are at a disadvantage.

Well done to Wigan, some of their football was terrific, but they probably haven't had an easier double all season.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#43 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jul 24 2010, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed. After what we've seen for most of the season it's difficult to be anything other than gloomy about our team's chances in most games.

Hull were pitiful last night, but Wigan were great.

I repeat myself again but in the Derby, Hull didn't need coaching. The same big name players were missing but the people who played didn't need telling what to do, they knew what an important game it was.

In a game like last night, they need coaching and that's where my team are at a disadvantage.

Well done to Wigan, some of their football was terrific, but they probably haven't had an easier double all season.

Hull have been a very up and down team just lately, appearing to run out of steam in some games, and yet looking very good in others, as you say they wouldn't need much motivating for the derby game, but last night they were sadly very poor. Wigan look better and better to me, and if things go as they are planning ,they are going to be some side next season, Tompkins looks very good playing a B Hodgson type game, was very impressed with him last night.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#44 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

In the same way that I wasn't giving up on the season after last week's defeat, I'm not going to get overly excited about last night's victory. Yes, Wigan played well and Hull were poor, but because of the league / playoff system it really doesn't matter too much who you beat and how you beat them as long as you get a decent finishing position and peak at the right time in the playoffs. I'll stand by my view of a few months ago that there are four teams capable of getting to and winning the GF this season, so by those standards SL is more open than it has been for a number of years. I'm also content because Wigan can actually be included in that elite group for the first time in more than half a decade.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#45 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Sam's performance made me wonder whether 1 is his best position for England just now, as we have an abundance of good halves - Eastmond at 7 and McGuire/Pryce at 6 perhaps?

#46 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 24 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sam's performance made me wonder whether 1 is his best position for England just now, as we have an abundance of good halves - Eastmond at 7 and McGuire/Pryce at 6 perhaps?

Sam at FB is like having an extra stand off in attack - it never hurts to have an extra playmaker on the field, especially in a position where he is given the freedom to roam. Sam has all the natural talents to be a great fullback, as he has quick acceleration, good hands and reads the game so well as we have seen when he used to sweep up when playing at 6. All he needs is more experience of the full back role now - luckily he has two masters of the position (Radlinski and Hampson) who can teach him everything he needs to know about the position from a technical point of view.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,180 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 24 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen much of him at 1, how is he under the high ball and defensively? He would certainlt get tested against the Aussies, although I like the idea of us loading our team with attacking players to try and worry them for a change!

#48 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 24 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen much of him at 1, how is he under the high ball and defensively? He would certainlt get tested against the Aussies, although I like the idea of us loading our team with attacking players to try and worry them for a change!

Not had too much of a problem so far, considering the limited experience he has in the role. But Sam is one of those players that is such a natural talent that position ultimately won't matter - I think he'd give an above average SL performance at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 9.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,180 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 24 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not had too much of a problem so far, considering the limited experience he has in the role. But Sam is one of those players that is such a natural talent that position ultimately won't matter - I think he'd give an above average SL performance at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 9.

Probably right, and whilst trying to keep this away from a Briers v Tomkins debate, there are clear similarities between them. Briers often drops back on the latter tackles and is in positions to take high kicks, chips etc. (I think he did one at the DW and jumped forcing himself to be tackled in the air). I feel safer with Briers unde a kick than I do with Mathers, Riley or Hicks tbh.

Certain players are so skilfull that they have the transferable skills for most positions, and Tomkins is definitely in this class.

#50 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 24 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably right, and whilst trying to keep this away from a Briers v Tomkins debate, there are clear similarities between them.

there is no briers v tomkins debate. they're both at opposite ends of their respective careers, i just like the fact that everytime they're on the same pitch together one of them seems to pull out his autograph book and gaze on in total awe at the other! wink.gif
Certain players are so skilfull that they have the transferable skills for most positions, and Tomkins is definitely in this class.

then he's got a decision to make, does he see himself as a full back or half back. personally, shifting england's best half back to full back is madness and if wigan/mcguire is doing it to accomodate his mate from melbourne then i'd be ###### off if i was a wigan fan.

foxes or poor people?

#51 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

God, this thread is heading south if Briars for Golden Boot is taking it over.

#52 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,626 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 24 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God, this thread is heading south if Briars for Golden Boot is taking it over.

Who????

is he a new signing from Melbourne. wink.gif

PS Briers, hasn't kicked week in week out so golden no chance, MoS sleep.gif

#53 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

If you want to have a Briars love-in start a thread on him. Start 20 threads on him. Leave this one alone.

#54 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

someone's very touchy today.
foxes or poor people?

#55 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,626 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

OMG, someone's pie was in the oven for tooooooooooooooooo long tongue.gif

#56 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Jul 24 2010, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then he's got a decision to make, does he see himself as a full back or half back. personally, shifting england's best half back to full back is madness and if wigan/mcguire is doing it to accomodate his mate from melbourne then i'd be ###### off if i was a wigan fan.

Everyones entitled to their opinion of course, but you are living in a different era. In a roaming role in the modern game, the FB can still retain a playmaking role and have as great an impact / if not greater as SO due to an ability to take a free role in the attacking line, intervene from deep and be elusive on the kick return, whilst also not being as physically exposed in defence.

Having as many playmakers in the FB, SO, SH, H or LF roles gives a team more attacking options. Wigan will be ideally positioned having the potential to field Roberts, Tomkins, Finch, Leulaui and O'Loughlin all in the same team as distributors and / or creators.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#57 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 24 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyones entitled to their opinion of course, but you are living in a different era. In a roaming role in the modern game, the FB can still retain a playmaking role and have as great an impact / if not greater as SO due to an ability to take a free role in the attacking line, intervene from deep and be elusive on the kick return, whilst also not being as physically exposed in defence.

i totally agree. i've been saying for years that mcguire at leeds could be be a world class full back. i'm all for players learning new skills/positions, chris bridge at our place has played almost every position apart from prop.

with tomkins the potential is there, greater than myler/eastmond to become a genuine world class half back. it's wigan's choice to try and turn him into billy slater mk2, in sl that will probably work, especially in a team that bosses most of it's games. in the international arena, i'm not so sure, plus who replaces him at so..? don't say pryce!

Edited by sam, 24 July 2010 - 02:16 PM.

foxes or poor people?

#58 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Jul 24 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i totally agree. i've been saying for years that mcguire at leeds could be be a world class full back. i'm all for players learning new skills/positions, chris bridge at our place has played almost every position apart from prop.

with tomkins the potential is their, greater than myler/eastmond to become a genuine world class half back. it's wigan's choice to try and turn him into billy slater mk2, in sl that will probably work, especially in a team that bosses most of it's games. in the international arena, i'm not so sure, plus who replaces him at so..? don't say pryce!

For England, I actually think Pryce would be the better full back with Tomkins at 6 - but if Tomkins is at 1, then Myler 6 and Eastmond at 7?

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#59 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 24 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For England, I actually think Pryce would be the better full back with Tomkins at 6 - but if Tomkins is at 1, then Myler 6 and Eastmond at 7?

myler isn't creative enough.

foxes or poor people?

#60 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

A lot of the recent posts seem to be focusing too much on this year's 4N. Yes, it's important, but 2013 and the WC is more so, IMO, and that's a lot of time for these young guns to hone their talents. Myler not creative enough? Maybe now, but in 3 years? Plus, there are others who are below the radar at the moment - eg. Ratchford? There's time to juggle the options for everyone so that we win the WC.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.