Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Irvine and The Times

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

For the Six Nations and Heineken Cup/ERC comps, that would make sense

Would covering british rugby league in a british newspaper make sense too?
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#42 the punt

the punt
  • Coach
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Aug 12 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to see someone lose their job but as I said earlier the Times sports editor let Jones say as he liked about rugby LEAGUE in his rugby UNION column and failed to do anything about it thus turning off plenty of rugby league fans from buying the 'paper or reading it online. Whilst the sports editor of the Times let this carry on he was putting Chris Irvine's job on the line. Less interest in the Times already minimal rugby league coverage meant they would quite happily pull the plug sooner rather than later.

One would hope that Jones's journalistic loyalties would lie with his colleague rather than his code of football. He'd be extraordinarily insensitive to think this is fair.

If he doesn't speak on behalf of his colleagues perhaps when HR come for him there'll be nobody left to speak up for him (copyright Pastor Niemoller).

#43 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 12 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A big cull is just around the corner! There was a piece on the Today programme this morning and apparently in America one outlet has been running computer generated stories covering sports events and people can't tell which have been written by humans and which have been written by the computers and there stock phrases.

If there's money to be saved its bound to catch on in the Murdoch empire!

I have just written a program to reproduce the Times rugby league coverage for a period of about 2 months at the beginning of this year. I have provided the source code below - it is platform agnostic so should run ok on whatever computer you have:

Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (the punt @ Aug 12 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel really sorry for him. We have our part to play here. Chris Irvine posted on here about his RL blog and received a very negative response. Perhaps if we'd been more positive it might have helped him.

I don't recall this. In fact, I thought his reception on here was mostly very positive. Particular praise was posted in comparison with Eeyore Wilson.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Aug 12 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would covering british rugby league in a british newspaper make sense too?

Is there no coverage in The Times?

#46 Chuckittoticker

Chuckittoticker
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Aug 11 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Martin Richard at the Express.
Trevor Baxter at the Mirror.

both freelances

#47 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Aug 12 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just written a program to reproduce the Times rugby league coverage for a period of about 2 months at the beginning of this year. I have provided the source code below - it is platform agnostic so should run ok on whatever computer you have:

laugh.gif

#48 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Aug 12 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users