Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Wire do the Cup and League Double?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Saints will pick hudds but IMO they would pick Leeds before they pick Wigan.As with the players they have missing next week could be a game too far for Leeds.

#42 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

It wasn't to be in the end was it. But I would settle for a Challenge Cup win and joint 2nd place in the table.

If you look at what a complete shambles Wire were under a ###### coach like Paul Cullen, we have come a long way.

#43 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasn't to be in the end was it. But I would settle for a Challenge Cup win and joint 2nd place in the table.

If you look at what a complete shambles Wire were under a ###### coach like Paul Cullen, we have come a long way.

You were 3rd.

#44 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Aren't final placings based on how far teams go in the playoffs? So Warrington actually came joint fifth with Hull KR wink.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

#45 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 19 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren't final placings based on how far teams go in the playoffs? So Warrington actually came joint fifth with Hull KR wink.gif

No lets be realistic here. The play offs are irrelevent to league standings its only winning the play offs that counts.

#46 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No lets be realistic here. The play offs are irrelevent to league standings its only winning the play offs that counts.

It depends whether clubs finishing prize money is decided by league position or when you exit the play offs

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they choose Wigan, they won't have to worry about having a game the week after.

I, for one, really want Saints to choose Wigan. It's not often that teams get the chance to choose to do the right thing for the sake of history, but Saints could do the right thing here.

Last game at KR, against their greatest ever rivals. No-one could have scripted that more appropriately.

C'mon Saints, do the right thing.

Dunno. Would the Pies bottle it like they did against Leeds. I don't normally see much SL but I saw both Saints - Wire and Wigan - Leeds last week and Richards had three chances to win the game for them and fluffed them all. Could it be that it really is a mental thing?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#48 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Sep 19 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dunno. Would the Pies bottle it like they did against Leeds. I don't normally see much SL but I saw both Saints - Wire and Wigan - Leeds last week and Richards had three chances to win the game for them and fluffed them all. Could it be that it really is a mental thing?

Maybe they would bottle it, but that's not the point.

The point is that Saints have the opportunity to do something historic here, and I just wonder if they have the bottle to take that opportunity.

With the greatest of respect to Huddersfield, who would no doubt give Saints a huge test, they should be choosing Wigan.

It may well be that Saints will pick Wigan because they see Huddersfield as a bigger barrier to getting to the GF anyway. Huddersfield are playing well, and have beaten some good teams away in the last few weeks. Wigan seem to be a bit hot and cold at the moment, which is not the form they have been showing all season.

I always thought that this season would be one of slow improvement for Wigan, and have been delighted that we have gone further than originally expected. However, I still see next season as the one where Wigan could dominate.

Whatever happens, there will be two more great games next week, it would just be nice to be involved in a real occasion at KR.

#49 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

If Saints pick anyone other than Huddersfield they would be crazy. McManus said last year if Saints got it (clubcall) they will choose the lowest placed team, just as Leeds did last year.
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#50 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

I thought you had us down as talentless chokers? Surely you'd be able to rest players and still beat us?

#51 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 19 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mr P, if you're hinting the Wire Coach is the problem, we'll give him a go at the KC.

God no. Far from it.

All of the other top teams have obvious weaknesses that would be addressed were it not for the salary cap.

Leeds at prop, Wigan at half, Saints down the left, Hull at coach - I can't see where that is at Wire. I suppose that they just need to learn to win.
People called Romans they go the house

#52 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 19 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God no. Far from it.

All of the other top teams have obvious weaknesses that would be addressed were it not for the salary cap.

Leeds at prop, Wigan at half, Saints down the left, Hull at coach - I can't see where that is at Wire. I suppose that they just need to learn to win.

Back 3 at Wire

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#53 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 19 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

PMJ - you talk of hard work in the off season - but seriously, what can Smith do? I can't see any weak link in the team (Mathers has been OK for you, but is being replaced) so strengthening may be difficult. Every other top team, I can see how they'd improve with a couple of players, but most if not all of the Wire team seem to be at the same level and you can't replace them all.

Is it a mental problem? That could be tough to sort out.

Mathers, playing as a an attacking pivot has been our undoing on a few occasions, see last night for reference. His ability to stop players grounding the ball over the line is second to none, but the way we have played with him coming into the line as an attacking half as been very hit and miss. It seems when the pressure is on to make the absolute right decision, it just doesn't happen.

#54 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Sep 19 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Richards had 2 chances to draw Wigan level which he eventually did - and one chance to win the game.

#55 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 19 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

PMJ - you talk of hard work in the off season - but seriously, what can Smith do? I can't see any weak link in the team (Mathers has been OK for you, but is being replaced) so strengthening may be difficult. Every other top team, I can see how they'd improve with a couple of players, but most if not all of the Wire team seem to be at the same level and you can't replace them all.

Is it a mental problem? That could be tough to sort out.

I'm talking about re grouping and ensuring the back to basic approach in certain sections /times of the game
Control and composure is required.

#56 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Sep 19 2010, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back 3 at Wire

Please can you enlighten me to what you mean.

#57 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Not sure if any one would agree with me, but the whole cup win and the subsequent homecoming and all that surrounds it doesn't seem to have helped the team. I'm not saying that the club shouldn't have had a victory parade but I just feel it's not helped the team and the fans concentrate on the important business of the play-offs. With the Cup Final coming before the play-offs it seems to be very difficult for teams to maintain the same level of consistency when they're in the inevitable after-glow of victory.

Well done to Huddersfield, let's just hope they can keep their good run going and upset the odds again next week.

#58 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Sep 19 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if any one would agree with me, but the whole cup win and the subsequent homecoming and all that surrounds it doesn't seem to have helped the team. I'm not saying that the club shouldn't have had a victory parade but I just feel it's not helped the team and the fans concentrate on the important business of the play-offs. With the Cup Final coming before the play-offs it seems to be very difficult for teams to maintain the same level of consistency when they're in the inevitable after-glow of victory.

Well done to Huddersfield, let's just hope they can keep their good run going and upset the odds again next week.

Wire need to find the energy to make the cup wins spur them on & the last 2 years they havent. Ok last year they probably had to poor a start to the season that when Tony Smith came in they were in too poor a position to challenge but i still feel they could & should have finished higher than 9th.
This year they let 2nd slip & lost both playoff games post CC victory.
In the past Saints have managed to do the double / treble. Wire need to progress to that.
It would be interesting to see if next year they didnt make the CC final would they do better in the play-offs?
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#59 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

Wires problem is (and I hope they continue) want to play a more high risk brand of RL which becomes an even bigger gamble in the wet weather. The Roosters under Brian adopt the same philosophy but the weather is far more conducive to the style of play.

I do think the coach made a mistake re Myler. Once for the Cup Final you can understand but repeated tinkering and in addition tinkering at 9 creates instability. A couple of players are over rated and do not earn their salary. Carvell is the obvious example. However, Wire do have a better youth development programme now and one or two very good youngsters are emerging. Wire need these youngsters coming through because time is limited in terms of the experience core of players and their impact could be lost before the youngsters are blooded and brought through.

Time will tell but I hope Wire continue to follow the Smith philosophy.

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Sep 19 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mathers, playing as a an attacking pivot has been our undoing on a few occasions, see last night for reference. His ability to stop players grounding the ball over the line is second to none, but the way we have played with him coming into the line as an attacking half as been very hit and miss. It seems when the pressure is on to make the absolute right decision, it just doesn't happen.

Not very often I disagree with you, but tbh I think you are being very harsh on Mathers here. I think the link into the line from Mathers has been a real highlight of the season, and has created a hell of a lot of tries for our wingers. It is quite strange for him to link in on the left though, so not really sure why that happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users